FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dead Space
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

RE 4 fixed many of the bitches I've had with the series since its inception and it was a great game but there are still things about it that bothered me. Dead Space does everything right. If you want to call it survival-horror than it's by far the best survival-horror game ever made.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Will Dead Space Downfall spoil the game for me if I haven't played it yet? (I've asked for it for Xmas, so I will play it then if I get it)
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

As far as I'm aware it won't spoil anything, from what I've played of the game so far. While playing, you pick up audio and video logs from the crew of the Ishimura, which fills in a little of the backstory. Downfall lets you see what actually went down, but the game is an entirely different story set within (well, strictly after) the same situation.

The game itself kicks all kinds of ass. Can't wait to see Downfall.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Can't wait for downfall. I'll be picking it up on my birthday:D

As for dead space itself, I'll stick to watching videos until I get a better system.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Well that's kind of crazy to think that way. They are there to fix the ship afterall so of course Isaac is going to be doing alot of running around. They could have given him a personality sure but I like it better when they don't because 9 times out of 10 the personality type they choose and voice just grate on my fucking nerves. I'm just here to blow shit up.

It's one thing to be wanting to help out like Freeman in Half-life, it's another entirely to be a mindless idiot being told what to do and doing it merely because that is the only way to play the game.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:17 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Nephlabobo wrote:
Will Dead Space Downfall spoil the game for me if I haven't played it yet? (I've asked for it for Xmas, so I will play it then if I get it)

Downfall is a prequel. The animated comics on XBL cover much of the same territory. The backstory isn't the story here, there's no spoiling what the critters are as they're all over the trailers. You're in good shape.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:

It's one thing to be wanting to help out like Freeman in Half-life, it's another entirely to be a mindless idiot being told what to do and doing it merely because that is the only way to play the game.

I think you played a different game than I did. Clarke is an engineer. The other survivors of Clarke's ship are technically competent but repeatedly make it clear that only he is suited (figuratively and literally) to do hardcore repairs.

I'm hearkened back to the olden days of yore, and a wise old gent named Karl Malden...

::insert doodlie-do-doodlie-do Wayne's World flashback noise::

You've crashed into a gigantic ore mining space ship and you're the only engineer onboard that isn't sprouting tentacles...the engines are down, your orbit is decaying...the air is poisoned due to alien growths in hydroponics...the automatic cannons are out and asteroids are slamming into the ship...what will you do...WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?

::doodlie-do noise again::

Whew, love those trips in the wayback machine.

Anyway, point is, it sounds like you didn't like the story, didn't like the play mechanics, didn't like the level design...hell, I'm missing much that you did like. I'm sorry you didn't dig it, but the facts here are simple: Isaac is screwed the second he arrives on the Ishimura, and it just keeps getting worse. It isn't the 'annoying lady', it's the fact that they're in a real live Kobayashi Maru and they're all doing whatever they can to keep breathing for the next thirty seconds. Since Isaac is the gearhead, and lots of stuff is broken, well, you wind up fixing a lot of stuff.

It sounds like you're holding the sins of previous games in the genre against DS. In this case, the missions make sense, the save points make sense (as much as a thing can within a game world), everything just makes sense.

At least you're in luck, with so many major titles released in recent and coming days, you're not going to be hard-up for things to play. (I, myself, am making a huge sacrifice and skipping Guitar Hero 4 in order to afford Fallout 3, for example.)
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm sure you've all noticed, but I stepped in for Plagiarize and reviewed this one. My review speaks for itself, but to sum up: it isn't Bioshock, but what is? Remove one annoying minigame sequence and make it a little longer and you'd have survival horror perfection.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am  Reply with quote

The mini-game wasn't even that bad. I died once, then beat it. Then when it came up again, took me only one try. The mini-game I HATED was the b-ball. You could skip it altogether, but I needed to see what it would give me. It was worth the 15-20 min.
They really needed to add a couple hours to it, preferably on the planet at the end. I was really hoping to explore that more then we did. Oh well.
I have to say as good as the story was, it could have been better. More twists, more drama, anything. Still an awesome game.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
I'm sure you've all noticed, but I stepped in for Plagiarize and reviewed this one. My review speaks for itself, but to sum up: it isn't Bioshock, but what is? Remove one annoying minigame sequence and make it a little longer and you'd have survival horror perfection.

Nice review but it's better than Bioshock.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

I think you played a different game than I did. Clarke is an engineer. The other survivors of Clarke's ship are technically competent but repeatedly make it clear that only he is suited (figuratively and literally) to do hardcore repairs.

I'm hearkened back to the olden days of yore, and a wise old gent named Karl Malden...

::insert doodlie-do-doodlie-do Wayne's World flashback noise::

You've crashed into a gigantic ore mining space ship and you're the only engineer onboard that isn't sprouting tentacles...the engines are down, your orbit is decaying...the air is poisoned due to alien growths in hydroponics...the automatic cannons are out and asteroids are slamming into the ship...what will you do...WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?

::doodlie-do noise again::

Whew, love those trips in the wayback machine.

Anyway, point is, it sounds like you didn't like the story, didn't like the play mechanics, didn't like the level design...hell, I'm missing much that you did like. I'm sorry you didn't dig it, but the facts here are simple: Isaac is screwed the second he arrives on the Ishimura, and it just keeps getting worse. It isn't the 'annoying lady', it's the fact that they're in a real live Kobayashi Maru and they're all doing whatever they can to keep breathing for the next thirty seconds. Since Isaac is the gearhead, and lots of stuff is broken, well, you wind up fixing a lot of stuff.

It sounds like you're holding the sins of previous games in the genre against DS. In this case, the missions make sense, the save points make sense (as much as a thing can within a game world), everything just makes sense.

At least you're in luck, with so many major titles released in recent and coming days, you're not going to be hard-up for things to play. (I, myself, am making a huge sacrifice and skipping Guitar Hero 4 in order to afford Fallout 3, for example.)

I'm holding the contrived plot device of him being an engineer against it. It just so happens that the engineer is with them to survive the initial attack? Sorry, but as a horror fan, or a fiction fan of any kind, you should at least call that one out. All it does is serve the purpose of having a game play/plot device to do the ridiculous fetch quest.

I like a good portion of the game but the generic gameplay designs such as save points and such bring it down and when I stop to think about why the character is doing all of these things without so much of his own free will, then yes, that's a problem. I'm sorry you were able to lap it up so easily. Me? I'm not so willing to buy into something I thing is inherently dumb just because they wrote it that way.

The atmosphere is decent, the weapons are awesome, the set pieces are fantastic. I just wish they gave me more motivation than to go from point a to b back to a because something went wrong after b. Yes, the ship is going down and they have to fix it, that's an inciting incident, not a plot.

Dead Space is a decent, but incredibly overrated game that will be forgotten in months.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:15 am  Reply with quote

Well it won't be forgotten by me. I'll still be playing it in a few months. I'm on Chapter 7 now and while far from over I'm feeling right now like this is the best game I have ever played in my life. I go back to pre-pong text adventures too. I've played a helluva lot of games in my life. Damn, I just can't get enough. I am going to beat it on normal now and play through again using just the Plasma Cutter and then on to impossible mode. I fucking love it.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:

Nice review but it's better than Bioshock.

You blaspheme, sir.

Bioshock was much longer, far more complex (on every level), offered a moral decision that had dramatic emotional repercussions (and multiple endings), and was an artistic triumph. Dead Space is -kick ass-...but it just didn't reach those heights. In my mind, nothing else has before or since.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:16 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Dead Space is a decent, but incredibly overrated game that will be forgotten in months.

I'm gonna say that I'd suggest you not place any money on that bet. Wink
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Well it won't be forgotten by me. I'll still be playing it in a few months. I'm on Chapter 7 now and while far from over I'm feeling right now like this is the best game I have ever played in my life.

Then you need to play more games. Resident Evil 2 and 4 alone are leaps and bounds better than this. Not to mention about 100 or so other games.