FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dead Space
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
So far, barring a few minor things, this is exactly what I thought it was going to be. A RE clone in space. Instead of Typewriters, you have "Save Stations", the targeting is almost identical to RE4 save for the ability to move and in that instance it controls like an FPS. Ammo is limited, you need health packs (which is such a tired mechanic). Sure there are touches of ingenuity such as the stasis ability and the guns but it's not the vast departure Mr. Dark said it would be.

The best feature in the game is the ability to see your path. TONS of backtracking in the game and this helps with that a lot. I like the zero gravity portions, I LOVED the seemingly one time attack from a giant tentacle (I say seemingly because I haven't seen it again) but these are few and far between.

So far it's a 6.5/10 and I'm halfway through.

Health packs tired? Well in FPS I agree. The regenerating health/shields is great when you are in a frantic firefight. But in survival horror? it's a bad idea. Can you imagine putting Isaac in a corner and just waiting for the health to return? Health packs and scarce ammo make a survival horror game. Now if you have a third option, I'd love to hear it.

Save Stations instead of typewriters? Yeah, they are similar, but how am I supposed to save? Any time I want? Again, that would take away the suspense and dread. Seriously, I'm not being a dick, and you're entitled to your opinions, but if you have an original idea about how to change these game mechanics, do tell.

You are right about that "path line" or whatever it's called. It's a lifesaver. Did you SEE the map? Good lord, could it be any more confusing? They really dropped the ball on that one.

The attack of the giant tentacle made be giggle with boyish glee. I KNEW something was coming out of that hole! The game isn't pants-shitting scary, but it did make me jump one more than one occasion.

Well, 6.5 isn't a bad score, I'm just sorry you didn't enjoy it more. Yeah, it's a lot like RE, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, and many other games. But what it does it does with style. I'm not finished yet, so I can't really rate it. So far it's around 8-9. That may very well plummet if the ending sucks like so many nowadays (I'm looking at you, Alone in the Dark).
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
So far, barring a few minor things, this is exactly what I thought it was going to be. A RE clone in space. Instead of Typewriters, you have "Save Stations", the targeting is almost identical to RE4 save for the ability to move and in that instance it controls like an FPS. Ammo is limited, you need health packs (which is such a tired mechanic). Sure there are touches of ingenuity such as the stasis ability and the guns but it's not the vast departure Mr. Dark said it would be.

The best feature in the game is the ability to see your path. TONS of backtracking in the game and this helps with that a lot. I like the zero gravity portions, I LOVED the seemingly one time attack from a giant tentacle (I say seemingly because I haven't seen it again) but these are few and far between.

So far it's a 6.5/10 and I'm halfway through.

Health packs tired? Well in FPS I agree. The regenerating health/shields is great when you are in a frantic firefight. But in survival horror? it's a bad idea. Can you imagine putting Isaac in a corner and just waiting for the health to return? Health packs and scarce ammo make a survival horror game. Now if you have a third option, I'd love to hear it.

Save Stations instead of typewriters? Yeah, they are similar, but how am I supposed to save? Any time I want? Again, that would take away the suspense and dread. Seriously, I'm not being a dick, and you're entitled to your opinions, but if you have an original idea about how to change these game mechanics, do tell.

You are right about that "path line" or whatever it's called. It's a lifesaver. Did you SEE the map? Good lord, could it be any more confusing? They really dropped the ball on that one.

The attack of the giant tentacle made be giggle with boyish glee. I KNEW something was coming out of that hole! The game isn't pants-shitting scary, but it did make me jump one more than one occasion.

Well, 6.5 isn't a bad score, I'm just sorry you didn't enjoy it more. Yeah, it's a lot like RE, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, and many other games. But what it does it does with style. I'm not finished yet, so I can't really rate it. So far it's around 8-9. That may very well plummet if the ending sucks like so many nowadays (I'm looking at you, Alone in the Dark).

For health, they could do transplants with creatures(infected blood, only a temp fix, and if injected too much your character slowly morphs) or with bodies(remaining "Clean" blood is injected to dilute/remove any mutated blood. This could make for an interesting mechanic, or upgrading system. It allows upgrades through blood injections(as well as replacing health), but if you get greedy, you can wind up mutating to the point of no return, and lose the game. It definately make for a few tense moments. Depending on the creatures bloodtype(you would have to scan it first) it gives you different abilities(only seen through subtle differences seen within gameplay), but also twists your character in different ways.

As for save stations, I can't think of anything else.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:

For health, they could do transplants with creatures(infected blood, only a temp fix, and if injected too much your character slowly morphs) or with bodies(remaining "Clean" blood is injected to dilute/remove any mutated blood. This could make for an interesting mechanic, or upgrading system. It allows upgrades through blood injections(as well as replacing health), but if you get greedy, you can wind up mutating to the point of no return, and lose the game. It definately make for a few tense moments. Depending on the creatures bloodtype(you would have to scan it first) it gives you different abilities(only seen through subtle differences seen within gameplay), but also twists your character in different ways.

That sounds a little like the PS2 game Extermination. You had to fight an infection if you got bit, and I believe you mutated if it got too high. Haven't played it in years, so I could be wrong. The idea of cleaning blood for a transfusion is damn cool. You just thought of that off the top of your head? Nice.

As far as saves go, I can't remember which Tomb Raider it was (might have been 2), but you collected crystals like any other item. Then you could use them at any time to save, not just on a typewriter or another type of save point. It was nice to save anywhere, but you had to be smart about it. If you ran out, you had to play to the next chapter to save again. It was a pretty clever system, and I haven't seen it since.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Why does a game have to follow such trite conventions medipacks used to be a staple of FPS and now they pretty much aren't. Remember heads up displays? They've gotten rid of those too. They can adopt some ideas and not others?

Quote:

So antiquated design is what you need for dread? Why don't they just eliminate them all together and give you 3 lives? I love how you need an original idea from me while relying on the same old routine in game design. I'm not a game designer, I'm a game player and those things make me yawn. The tension in this game comes from cheap design such as being hit while in the menu, not being able to run when selecting a health item on the move. The game does a lot of things right but these ideas are not them. The game should be scary on it's own, not because of the save points or how one heals.

Quote:

There's one portion of the game in which the map couldn't be more useless.

Quote:

I never actually jumped. At least not yet. I'm only on chapter 7 and it looks like I won't be beating the game any time soon because I have to return it and with all the other games coming out that I'm actually looking forward to, this one is going to have to take a back seat.

Quote:

I'm not done yet either...that was a "up to now this is what I'm rating it...BUT I did like the things that come after it.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 am  Reply with quote

The game does start off rather easy, but by chapter 7 and on, things get a little crazy. I just encountered a new creature and you better know where to aim or you're gonna regret it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:34 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
arandomthought wrote:

That sounds a little like the PS2 game Extermination. You had to fight an infection if you got bit, and I believe you mutated if it got too high. Haven't played it in years, so I could be wrong. The idea of cleaning blood for a transfusion is damn cool. You just thought of that off the top of your head? Nice.

As far as saves go, I can't remember which Tomb Raider it was (might have been 2), but you collected crystals like any other item. Then you could use them at any time to save, not just on a typewriter or another type of save point. It was nice to save anywhere, but you had to be smart about it. If you ran out, you had to play to the next chapter to save again. It was a pretty clever system, and I haven't seen it since.

Yeah, it is off the top of my head. I never heard of Extermination(might have to look it up was it any good?) but what I said sounds a little gimicky, but if put in as an extra mechanic then I think it would work. It could also allow you to move the game towards your style of gameplay. Hell, with different endings you could play through as a full fledged mutant, or go through without transplants at all. Changing different paths within the game(mass effect would be a good example). You could choose to make it more of a survival horror(not turning mutant, or fighting off the infection), or keep it third person shooter style(deciding to go full blown mutation, pending on how you decide to react to run-in situations with old companions, or you can choose to turn against everyone. There are infinite possibilities to a system like this, but I build the game, and implement this into, not build a game around it.

As for saving, the crystal idea wouldn't work as well unless if there were multiple save because if you save right before you die, and the game keeps on coming back and you die the same way every time, you could get easily frustrated. Personally, I would prefer a save system implemented into the suit(causes loss of life everytime you save thus making you be more strategic about it, this fits in with survival horror perfectly), or an auto-save function that saves after every major battle, or after a kill.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:32 am  Reply with quote

I am loving this game. It's a very well balanced shooter imo. Pretty intense.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Firing it up...nnnnnnnnnnnow.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:26 am  Reply with quote

I hate you all for your next gen systems...Sad
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Goddam...my nerves are frayed, and I haven't even gotten into level 2 yet...man.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I am loving this game. It's a very well balanced shooter imo. Pretty intense.

A shooter? Well I guess we could call it that. How about a survival shooter? That sounds better. Just got through playing it, took about 12 hours on easy. If you haven't got that far in it, I highly recommend playing on hard or normal. Easy was a cakewalk.

Just wait until you see the final boss. Quite a sight indeed. I love the creature design and how you can't just pray 'n spray with the automatic weapons. Again, in easy it was pretty breezy, but on the harder difficulty they really tend to mob you if you're not careful.
It has some backtracking for sure, but I didn't mind it too much. They kept the puzzles simple, nothing really to get stumped on. The focus here is butchering aliens, and the developers know that. No weird RE style riddles, door codes to remember (Doom 3, you bastard) or secret rooms that I could find.
The pacing was perfect for this type of game, I always wanted to go just a little further. All around, I have very few complaints about it. One is the length, while anything over 10 hours nowadays is considered good, I wanted to keep playing. Being able to only carry and upgrade 4 weapons at a time adds to the replayability, as you'll want to see all the cool guns at their maximum. My other beef is with the story. While fine on it's own, the delivery is what bugged me. It was all told through recordings you find and people talking to you on your holo-tv. Frank likes fancy CG cutscenes.
I'd give it 4 out of 5
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

I think the survival horror genre completely sucks except for Resident Evil and even there I have plenty of complaints so I'd rather not call it a survival anything. It is a shooter when you boil it all down and a damn good one at that. I'm playing on Normal now and then I'll go back and play on hard. I never play anything on easy. I want to get my moneys worth. I'm wrapping up chapter 4 now and so far I don't have a single complaint. Those graphics sure are purty.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

At one point in the game I really got tired of all the "Go here and solve this problem only to have the annoying, do-nothing woman tell me I have to go somewhere else and do another task" which is pretty much the thing that moves the game forward....They really should have given Isaac a personality so that I felt like I was doing these things because I wanted to, and not because I was someone's bitch...

I'd bet money that the end of the game the twist is that one or both of the two other survivors are in on the whole thing.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

At one point in the game I really got tired of all the "Go here and solve this problem only to have the annoying, do-nothing woman tell me I have to go somewhere else and do another task" which is pretty much the thing that moves the game forward....They really should have given Isaac a personality so that I felt like I was doing these things because I wanted to, and not because I was someone's bitch...

I'd bet money that the end of the game the twist is that one or both of the two other survivors are in on the whole thing.

Well that's kind of crazy to think that way. They are there to fix the ship afterall so of course Isaac is going to be doing alot of running around. They could have given him a personality sure but I like it better when they don't because 9 times out of 10 the personality type they choose and voice just grate on my fucking nerves. I'm just here to blow shit up.

This game is so fucking intense though. I did two chapters yesterday and my heart was pumping so fast I had to stop and take a break. I tried watching The Strangers but could only make it halfway through because that damn movie is so intense I thought I was going to have a coronary. I just said fuck it and went back to playing Dead Space. Liv Tyler is smokin hot though.
goblin310
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think the survival horror genre completely sucks except for Resident Evil and even there I have plenty of complaints

so is that to say you dont think RE4 is one of the best games ever made? cuz it is
Floydian Trip wrote:
This game is so fucking intense though

i do agree with u 100% about how intense this game is. ive had to put it down and come back to it several times