FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Failed TV pilots from the past
Foywonder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I've been on a failed TV show pilots kick of late having spent the past few months tracking down obscure TV pilots from the Seventies and Eighties that never made it to series. This month in my new Foyeurism I'm tackling three such pilots that failed to launch: the first an hour long action series, the second a half hour sitcom, and the third a feature length family drama. The one thing all have in common - besides being TV show pilots rejected by the various networks - is that all have futuristic settings that prove to be about as accurate as a Criswell prediction. Since the odds of any of you having seen any of these is slim to none, I'm not going to tell you anything more here about this month's offerings so that you can discover them for yourself. Click the link in my signature below and away you go - back to the future!

I miss the day when the networks would actually give some of their rejected TV pilots a primetime airing. Tag Team with Roddy Piper and Jesse Ventura as ex-wrestlers turned detectives, the mediocre attempt to turn Remo Williams into a weekly series, the sitcom 1313 Avenue with young Wil Wheaton befriending a condo where a witch, vampire, werewolf, and a troll live, the awful Where's Rodney? sitcom about a 13-year old who can conjure up Rodney Dangerfield anytime he wants to do some "respect" schtick and offer some advice about life and growing up, and one I'm still trying in vain to trackdown a copy of - Interceptor, a game show hosted by Erik Estrada in which two contestant/celebrity pairings are on the run chased by a guy dressed like The Wraith trying to shoot their backpacks with his laser tag gun and eliminate them from chance to win a new truck. I so have to find a copy of Interceptor. And if we're lucky that new Knight Rider will join the pile of DOA television pilots.

Anyone else got some failed TV pilot memories they remember that never made it to series?
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:45 am  Reply with quote

I saw an early 90s ABC pilot called NEW YEAR, with Stacy Keach as some kind of rich guy in the future. It was an hour long sci-fi soap that centered around a laser-tag sport and lots of confusing intrigue. Kind of like DALLAS meets ROLLERBALL. Oh, and everyone wore really shiny suits. Although it ended with a cliffhanger, it never had a second episode as far as I know.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Any of the Marvel Comics characters outside of the Hulk.....didn't Daredevil have pilot?

SPIKETV's adult animation lineup springs to mind....although I kind of dug STRIPPERELLA, to be honest.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:31 am  Reply with quote

There was the Justice League pilot.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
Any of the Marvel Comics characters outside of the Hulk.....didn't Daredevil have pilot?

No, Daredevil only showed up (in a solid black suit!) during the TRIAL OF THE INCREDIBLE HULK television movie in 1989. And he was played by Rex Smith, star of...STREET HAWK!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:

With David Ogden Stiers as Martian Manhunter.

Yes, it's abysmal.

I remember the pilot for I DESIRE, which featured David Naughton falling under the spell of a hot female vampire. I was so annoyed when there weren't any more episodes.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:

God was that awful...

The pilot for U.S. version of Red Dwarf was a horrible pile of shit. As with many American remakes, the powers that be decide that Lister couldn't be a childish slob and was remade to be a handsome roguish lumberjack. Kryten remained the same except poor Robert's make-up and costume looked to be made on a budget of $20. The Cat, Holly and Rimmer were about as forgettable as the entire series of Scorch.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
And if we're lucky that new Knight Rider will join the pile of DOA television pilots.

Anyone else got some failed TV pilot memories they remember that never made it to series?

Not to split hairs but Knight Rider (2008) garnered 12.8 million viewers ...

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/02/18/nielsen-ratings-sun-feb-17-cbs-losing-badly-with-younger-audiences/2690

So it's more than likely it'll get a greenlight to series this fall. Because Bionic Woman did *so* well...Rolling Eyes

As far as failed TV pilots, what about Fargo? Or Aquaman?

Here are a few more ideas, though I understand if you want to delve deeper than this site did, Foy.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/tvpilots.html

I know your uncanny ability to lift the rocks of TV pop culture to shed some light on the hidden lichen underneath and I'm greatly anticipating reading this month's Foyeurism.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

The Michael Richards Show.

As you've stated in the past, Foy, there is perhaps nothing in the realm of bad entertainment WORSE than an unfunny comedy.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

I never even knew there was a Jesse Ventura/Roddy Piper pilot out there. Damn.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Gus Bjork wrote:

God was that awful...

The pilot for U.S. version of Red Dwarf was a horrible pile of shit. As with many American remakes, the powers that be decide that Lister couldn't be a childish slob and was remade to be a handsome roguish lumberjack. Kryten remained the same except poor Robert's make-up and costume looked to be made on a budget of $20. The Cat, Holly and Rimmer were about as forgettable as the entire series of Scorch.

I watched the Justice Leage pilot but as God as my witness I can't remember a thing. I don't even know which heroes where included except Martian Manhunter.

The Red Dwarf US pilot though...I almost attacked the television watching that.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

What The Cat Dragged In wrote:

I-Mockery did a feature on the show, check it out below:

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/tag-team/

As far as the Justice League thing goes, I remember Guy Gardner in it ... in name only. The dude didn't have red hair or the cocky attitude, but the special effects for the Green Lantern were decent. The whole thing still stunk of a generic situation comedy. It was played up for laughs instead of action.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
What The Cat Dragged In wrote:

I-Mockery did a feature on the show, check it out below:

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/tag-team/

That was awesome. Thank you!
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Best failed pilot ever? The Amazing Screw-On Head. That's the title, right? I didn't muck it up, did I?

... and curse you fucks for reminding me of that Justice League pilot. That shit's physically uncomfortable to watch.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

Just wait till you see the JLA movie, Constant.

Two words: Armie Hammer.