FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Splatterhouse 2 Now on Wii Virtual Console!
Quint
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Attention all Wii owners: the classic Sega Genesis horror beat-em-up Splatterhouse 2 is now available for download on the Virtual Console! If you've never played the series (for shame!), it's a simple, fun, and gory game with lots of neat monster bosses. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnv10rccxmg

Also, this marks the first M-rated game to be put on the Virtual Console, so hopefully we'll see stuff like Clock Tower, Mortal Kombat II and Resident Evil 2 follow.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Is this -the- Quint, or just another shark fan?
Quint
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Nope, no affiliation with Ain't it Cool, just someone who likes the name.
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Splatterhouse 2... a step in the right direction, but I want my "Zombies Ate My Neighbors"!!!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Splatterhouse 2... a step in the right direction, but I want my "Zombies Ate My Neighbors"!!!

Yeah! And while we're at it, lets get Blood in there too.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hell yes! Now we're one step closer to getting Splatterhouse 3 on the Virtual Console!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
conundrum wrote:

The problem with the Blood series is that it was PC-specific. Never released for consoles. Someone like GameTap might eventually port it to newer PC's running 32-bit Windows OS, but you'll never see a console port. (I'm pretty sure Blood was one of the last DOS-based FPS games. Blood 2 was a Windows game, however, and should be much easier to port. Used the same engine as Shogo, a game that I played on Windows 98 many, many times.)
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:02 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
conundrum wrote:

The problem with the Blood series is that it was PC-specific. Never released for consoles. Someone like GameTap might eventually port it to newer PC's running 32-bit Windows OS, but you'll never see a console port. (I'm pretty sure Blood was one of the last DOS-based FPS games. Blood 2 was a Windows game, however, and should be much easier to port. Used the same engine as Shogo, a game that I played on Windows 98 many, many times.)

Yeah, I know it would never happen, but it would be cool. I've had such a good time playing Doom and Marathon on XBL I start thinking of all the other old FPS games I haven't played in a while. Plus, I like the controller setup better than keybord/mouse. Can you imagine Quake 2 or Duke Nukem on XBL? Oh, to dream...
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:

Yeah, I know it would never happen, but it would be cool. I've had such a good time playing Doom and Marathon on XBL I start thinking of all the other old FPS games I haven't played in a while. Plus, I like the controller setup better than keybord/mouse. Can you imagine Quake 2 or Duke Nukem on XBL? Oh, to dream...

Ironically enough, both of those are a little more possible.

Duke Nukem ran on an engine that was eventually ported into Windows directly. (I know, I worked on the game that did it, Killing Time.) Quake, of course, was eventually run natively in Windows in one version or another. I'm pretty sure that makes it all the easier to port into XBL. As for Doom and Marathon, I think it's the relative simplicity of the engine that allowed them to handle those ports. I'm thinking Blood would be too complex for an easy port, yet not complex enough to have a native Windows nature about it.

Of course I don't make 'em, I just break 'em, so my comments here are -not- to be considered some statement of expertise when it comes to porting for XBL.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:16 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I really wish these would come to the 360!

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

Ironically enough, both of those are a little more possible.

Duke Nukem ran on an engine that was eventually ported into Windows directly. (I know, I worked on the game that did it, Killing Time.) Quake, of course, was eventually run natively in Windows in one version or another. I'm pretty sure that makes it all the easier to port into XBL. As for Doom and Marathon, I think it's the relative simplicity of the engine that allowed them to handle those ports. I'm thinking Blood would be too complex for an easy port, yet not complex enough to have a native Windows nature about it.

Of course I don't make 'em, I just break 'em, so my comments here are -not- to be considered some statement of expertise when it comes to porting for XBL.

Hold onto your pants, this is pretty awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NExBO-QOdIU