FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Why did it suddenly become "in" to bash Stephen Ki
Sexy Mcmanbeast
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:59 am  Reply with quote

I'm a huge King fan, even have a few King themed tattoos, but admittedly his work has gone downhill.
But, the man has written a fucking lot!
Like, a lot a lot a lot! Seriously, I'm amazed he's even still able to come up with any ideas at all. Honestly, sit down and think of one thing horror related Stephen King hasn't already dealt with at least twice.
That being said, if he could just get cracking on the fucking third installment of the Talisman, Black house series it would be much appreciated, as opposed to doing more dramatic works. Because he does have a very simple, easily understood style, but I preferred when there was more fucked up monsters and such creeping in to add a little spice.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Earlier today I discussed this with a MSN contact of mine who's read a great deal of more Stephen King than I have, and he said it probably has something to do with Dreamcatcher.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Haha...I'm re-reading Dreamcatcher right now.

I was going through a box of books, and I happened to see that one and I thought "Why not?"
darkstar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 am  Reply with quote

I've been a King fan since the 70's but have backed off in recent years. His books simply arent as good or thought out as well.
With the exception of the Dark Tower series he really hasnt done much that I have wanted to read in ten years
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

King is one of the best writers of his kind. He's also hit-and-miss, as is every author who puts out 50+ novels. Plus, he's popular and unpretentious which puts an automatic bullseye on his head.

I also don't buy the claims that he's somehow "lost it" over the years either. More recent books like Bag of Bones, Desperation, Black House, and the final Dark Tower books have been some of his best works. I haven't read Duma Key yet, but everyone says its phenomenal.
mansuave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 am  Reply with quote

King's latest novel, DUMA KEY, is a damned good read. It's heartfelt, the story is well-wrought, and a lot of the imagery and the climax is up there with some of his best writing. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I teared up a bit at the end.

King is an incredibly prolific author. When you've written that much, you're going to put out your share of failures. That's just the way it is. But when you've sold as many books as he has, over the span of time that he has, then you're doing something right.
darkstar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
King is one of the best writers of his kind. He's also hit-and-miss, as is every author who puts out 50+ novels. Plus, he's popular and unpretentious which puts an automatic bullseye on his head.

I also don't buy the claims that he's somehow "lost it" over the years either. More recent books like Bag of Bones, Desperation, Black House, and the final Dark Tower books have been some of his best works. I haven't read Duma Key yet, but everyone says its phenomenal.

I actually liked Black House and admit I never read the others. The only reason I read it was I loved The Talisman (its my favorite after the Dark Tower Series).

I dont think hes lost it, but I do think he has spent so much time trying to write and tie all of his other books into the DT series that it took up way too much of his energy
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
He's also hit-and-miss, as is every author who puts out 50+ novels.

I incidentally think this pushes King into the borderlands of hack territory; some of his novels ARE definitely more "lightweight" than others and seem to be written just to milk the cash cow. For example, compare his two "haunted car" novels - Christine is pretty much disposable fluff, From a Buick 8 however tries to actually say something about human nature.

Quote:
Plus, he's popular and unpretentious which puts an automatic bullseye on his head.

Yeah, somebody on another forum I post on (the Metal-Rules.com boards to be exact) bashes King at every opportunity because he's already decided beforehand that if a contemporary author is popular it means he cannot be a good writer at all.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!