FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> My Non-fanboy Rant on the PS3
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I think we're gonna be seeing less and less of third party exclusives. Companies should make as much money as possible for their product, ya know?
ThatOneGuy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
It doesn't help that 2 games that I was amped to play, Assasin's Creed and GTA 4, are also cross-platforming to the 360 now.

About the only exclusive to PS3 I want to play is MGS 4. And who knows when that will get the remix treatment for 360.

When (if) MGS4 gets moved to 360 depends entirely on Kojima. I think he has stated that he isn't fond of ports, but you never know.

Oh my. Uncle Creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the_night_of_mind
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I can't afford a Ps3. It's that simple for me. I have a Ps2, which I bought the year it came out, and has not broken once yet. Hopefully they'll still make games for it a little while longer...
STR8EVIL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Well, we don't have to wait much longer for the answers to all this.

And btw AJ, adding Betamax to the PS3 and pushing its price to $608 is the actual retail price, correct? Sony's final actual cost after putting Betamax in is $600.25. They have to eek out some profit somewhere. It's not like they are gonna make $$$ getting (read=assraping) people into buying the PS3.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
It doesn't help that 2 games that I was amped to play, Assasin's Creed and GTA 4, are also cross-platforming to the 360 now.

About the only exclusive to PS3 I want to play is MGS 4. And who knows when that will get the remix treatment for 360.

When (if) MGS4 gets moved to 360 depends entirely on Kojima. I think he has stated that he isn't fond of ports, but you never know.

I wasn't thinking so much about ports, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like "Subsistence" and the MGS remake that was on Gamecube.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
I have all the current systems. XB, XB360, GC, and PS2. Out of all of the systems which one has failed me the most? PS2. Not because it's a bad system or it doesn't have good games. It's just that the hardware is crap. I went through 4, yes 4 PS2's and I really take care of my stuff. I called Sony each time and they were super non-responsive. I did everything that they told me to do. Plug it in to an outlet all by itself. Turn it upside down. Shake a handful of chicken bones and recite a voodoo chant. You name it. Nothing works. Ever. It's not just me either. I know too many other people these same issues have plagued.

A friend of mine manages an EB Games and he told me without question the PS2 is the most problematic system ever. I saw his back stock room. There was 1 broken GameCube, about three busted Xbox's and enough PS2's to build a tiny non working village.

Sony seemingly has never corrected these problems. In fact they made them worse. So they make the PS2 smaller. How? By removing the fan. Gee, that was really smart. Now the thing overheats almost every time after a few hours of use. This maybe OK for the casual gamer, but for the hardcore one this sucks. Secondly the smaller one has great difficulty playing the blue-back discs. YAY having a system that has trouble playing a third of its own library. And don't even get me started about their advertising. How many times have we seen commercials for PS2 games with amazing graphics, and then bought the game, got it home and realized all that we saw were cut-screens and the actual gameplay looked horrid? I can go on and on.

I think the reason for this poor quality hardware is that Sony has a gazillion other products on the market. Everything from toasters to high end Hi Def TVs. Any revenue that they generate from gamers is just gravy to them. Whereas companies like Nintendo and Microsoft have mainly focused on digital entertainment since their inception.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fanboy or system basher. I believe in having good games. I don't care what system they're on. I am just a realist speaking from his own experience. I'll eventually get a PS3. My only reservations about it are based on my troubles with the PS2. Before I shell out $600 bucks for the system, I'd like to know that the damned thing works.

I have gone through many PS2 systems myself. I take tip top care of my systems since they are $100+ investments, but the Sony systems had such amazing failure rates. Not to say this doens't happen all over the spectrum but with my Playstations it really stood out. At least my 360 had the common decency to be dead when I first plugged it in rather than giving me a few days of play then kicking the bucket.

As far as the PS3 goes? The price, even for me, is nonsense. Now, if this were your typical gaming forum there would be flames left and right shouting that it's worth it because of Blu-Ray but this needs to be looked at in a logical light. Blu-Ray like HD-DVD is a new format that has yet to be proven. I have only seen 5 HD-DVD movies since launch. They were all on some bastard table at Best Buy and every return visit I have made since that first sighting has turned up NOTHING.

I don't see the point of paying $600 for a game system. Sure, we will eventually see great exclusive titles but how long will it take for a large enough library of them to be built to justify the purchase even of the $500 basic PS3?

What else turns me away from Sony products is their snotty attitude towards the market and their consumers. Sony believes that the PS3 will replace the PC? Ha...when you can run AutoCAD, WoW, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Excel, Outlook, print large format documents, design websites, get spammed with pop-ups about anal fisting and so on with the PS3 then that statement would make sense. I also enjoyed the thing about "the HD era doesn't start until we say so." I guess the 360 isn't running in HD even though my TV sure does accept its HD signal...
Electric-Eye
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

I think that when the time comes that GTA 4 comes out, I'll just buy the 360 for it. I'm not the biggest gamer anymore, so $600 is out of the question.
I keep the country clean.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I will buy it, but only 6 months after launch. I want to make sure they get all bugs worked out before I buy one. I waited until January 2003 before I bought a PS2, and it still works like a dream.
Master Bates
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.technophilia.org/2006/07/list-of-cancelled-ps3-games.html

Click on linky.

PS3 = Titanic
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

There's some big names on that list, Splinter Cell no doubt being the biggest. I would expect it to be out on the system eventually, tho.

And this is a good enough time to vent about something that's been bothering me about the next-gen stuff. I'm a huge sports fan, and recently rented NCAA Football 2007. Now, there's obviously versions for both current and next gen systems. What's bothering me is that certain gameplay options that are current-gen are being cut out of the next-gen games. When I buy a NG game, I would expect it to be packed to the brim with options! And here's the problem. The sacrifices that are being are for gameplay, not graphics, to appeal to a broader market. The graphics in the CG versions are far inferior, but I'd rather buy a game that's got the most gameplay options available, because I look at that as being the better investment instead of paying an extra $10 for sharper graphics and lesser gameplay.

End rant.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
philo beddoe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
There's some big names on that list, Splinter Cell no doubt being the biggest. I would expect it to be out on the system eventually, tho.

And this is a good enough time to vent about something that's been bothering me about the next-gen stuff. I'm a huge sports fan, and recently rented NCAA Football 2007. Now, there's obviously versions for both current and next gen systems. What's bothering me is that certain gameplay options that are current-gen are being cut out of the next-gen games. When I buy a NG game, I would expect it to be packed to the brim with options! And here's the problem. The sacrifices that are being are for gameplay, not graphics, to appeal to a broader market. The graphics in the CG versions are far inferior, but I'd rather buy a game that's got the most gameplay options available, because I look at that as being the better investment instead of paying an extra $10 for sharper graphics and lesser gameplay.

End rant.

They could have done a direct port with slightly sharper graphics and people would complain about that too. Example for the 360 would be NBA 2k6. EA sports has decided to overhaul the game engines for most of their sports games, meaning less time to incorporate all the gameplay options of their current gen counterparts. I'll give them a pass on their 1st attempt for Madden, ncaa, etc..., but Madden 07 and NCAA 08 should have everything available. There's no excuses after that. It appears Madden 07 will have pretty much everything in it's 2nd attempt on next gen.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I have no interest in paying $600 for a system at all. So I probably won't be getting a PS3 until it's time for PS4 when the price will be affordable.

And I'm not even close to thinking highly enough of the Wii. Nothing I have read or seen has made me the least bit interested. The graphics look like ass (or current gen), and I can't see myself waving around a controller to play a game. I'm way too lazy for that.

So it looks like 360 is the only console in my immediate future but truth be told I still have tons of great games left to play for my XBOX and PS2 so I'm more than content.

What a difference 2 years and couple of months make...Actually, a year 6 months because I got a PS3 in December of '07...I still play the shit out of my 360, but I'm happy I own a PS3 if only for the Bluray player. Though games like MGS 4 and Uncharted are gaming bliss, there stlll isn't enough of a reason for me to play my PS3 more than my 360.
nhseagle112
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

you guys dont know what ur missing this is the best game system ive ever played and u dont have to pay for shit like the 360. by far the best system available.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:15 am  Reply with quote

nhseagle112 wrote:
you guys dont know what ur missing this is the best game system ive ever played and u dont have to pay for shit like the 360. by far the best system available.

Do you play the 360? Or are you making this statement merely because "u don't have to pay for shit like the 360"? because I do have both and you get what you pay for. Sony's online is terrible.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
nhseagle112 wrote:

Do you play the 360? Or are you making this statement merely because "u don't have to pay for shit like the 360"? because I do have both and you get what you pay for. Sony's online is terrible.

*Pssst*
Hey, don't feed the trolls.
And while you're in here DSiC, I was curious as to how you liked Farcry 2. You're kinda the FPS guy around here so I'm sure you will at least rent it.