FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> THE DEVIL'S TEETH
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw this out there, as I know there are a few shark fans here on the boards. If you have any interest at all in Great White sharks, or have ever wanted an inside look at just what exactly goes in to being an oceanographer, I suggest you pick up Susan Casey's book THE DEVIL'S TEETH, which, in my mind, is the shark novel Peter Benchley would have written had such access been available to him back in the 1970's.

I know that after seeing what the phenomenon of JAWS did to decimate the world's shark populations, Benchley spent the majority of his latter years trying very hard to reverse the stigma and societal hatred of Great White sharks....and Susan Casey's book goes a long way towards not only demystifying these elegant giants of the sea, but almost humanizing them.

THE DEVIL'S TEETH deals with Casey and her quest to secure a pass to San Francisco's notoriously protected Farrallon Islands, in order to study, up close and personally, it's resident Great White shark population.

It's got it's fair share of graphic shark attacks (on seals and marine life, for the most part), and the weather itself presents the novel with a great deal of tension as well, so there really aren't any dead spots in the book, and things keep moving at a brisk pace throughout.

In my opinion, THE DEVIL'S TEETH is well worth checking out, and who knows, even if you consider yourself an expert on charcharodon charcharias, you may just end up learning a thing or two.

http://www.devilsteeth.net/authorbio.htm