FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Thinking about getting an X-Box 360 for "Bioshock"
moogy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

This game just looks amazing, and I've been wanting to get a 360 for a while. Has anyone played here played it?

http://www.myspace.com/8729307
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Hah, yeah I played it. I LOVE System Shock 2. The only game to ever actually scare me. So Bioshock became my most anticipated game ever. I didn't like it. Get a PS3 for Killzone 2 instead.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Floyd, I must say that you sir are out of your mind. System Shock 2 was good, but Bioshock is one of the best FPS I have ever played. You liked Killzone? But not Bioshock? Well, I guess everyone can't like the same things.
But keep in mind I do not like online Deathmatchs or the frantic run and gun gameplay. I like to take my time, plan an attack and sneak around some. Deus Ex, Half-life, Oblivion and other adventure/action RPG are my favs. Buy either a 360 or PS3, Bioshock is coming soon to PS3. But then again, you can get it on 360 for 15-20 bucks used now.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I wanted to only love Bioshock but in the end the game failed on many levels. I won't get into it here because of spoilers but the biggest problem I had with it was the lack of tension. Get killed going after a Big Daddy? No problem just wake up in the nearest Vita-Chamber and attack him some more since his health remains depleted. There was absolutely no challenge in the game. I tried to avoid the Vita-Chamber as much as possible in order to make my own tension but it just wasn't there. It looks purty sure so the graphics whore in me was very pleased with that aspect. I absolutely abhored the third level and its fetch quests. Almost stopped playing at that point because it was so incredibly tedious. Yup, a bad game with bad design decisions.

Killzone 2 looks every bit the best FPS ever made from all the clips that I have seen of it so far. Killzone was my favorite shooter on the PS2 and Liberation is my favorite PSP game. Guerrilla is a great, young developer.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Bioshock is the best game ever made, and the 360 is currently the best platform out there. Your purchase will not be regretted.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Bioshock is the best game ever made, and the 360 is currently the best platform out there. Your purchase will not be regretted.

I never have agreed with you on much.

EDIT

This may be a bit pretentious of me but seeing as how I've played just about every FPS since Wolfenstein 3D back in the day I consider myself to be quite the expert on them.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I wanted to only love Bioshock but in the end the game failed on many levels. I won't get into it here because of spoilers but the biggest problem I had with it was the lack of tension. Get killed going after a Big Daddy? No problem just wake up in the nearest Vita-Chamber and attack him some more since his health remains depleted. There was absolutely no challenge in the game. I tried to avoid the Vita-Chamber as much as possible in order to make my own tension but it just wasn't there. It looks purty sure so the graphics whore in me was very pleased with that aspect. I absolutely abhored the third level and its fetch quests. Almost stopped playing at that point because it was so incredibly tedious. Yup, a bad game with bad design decisions.

Killzone 2 looks every bit the best FPS ever made from all the clips that I have seen of it so far. Killzone was my favorite shooter on the PS2 and Liberation is my favorite PSP game. Guerrilla is a great, young developer.
I'll agree with you a little on the Vita-Chamber thing. It was a little on the easy side untill I tried hard mode. Ouch. If you can make it through without them on hard, my hat's off to you.
Did you ever play Project: Snowblind and Cold Winter? I liked those way more than Killzone. CW only cost me $5, so that might have added to my enjoyment. Very Happy
Currently playing Star Wars Republic Commando. Best Star Wars FPS next to Dark Forces. Loved that one.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

And Bioshock is actually on clearance for some odd reason at Target.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Bioshock is an amazing game that is so much more than gameplay...Yes, it's a bit easier once you know you can just respawn and whomever you were fighting will have depleted in health, but you don't regain what you lost during that fight...Every ounce of ammo and health is gone too so there is some challenge.

I've played more than enough FPS myself and I can consider myself an expert and Bioshock is the tits.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority. My adoration of System Shock 2 and my own insane buildup of Bioshock leading up to its release has alot to do with my ultimate disappointment as well. I don't think anything could have lived up to the hype.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:

I never have agreed with you on much.

EDIT

This may be a bit pretentious of me but seeing as how I've played just about every FPS since Wolfenstein 3D back in the day I consider myself to be quite the expert on them.

Now, the only issue is that Bioshock isn't an FPS. Wink
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Sure it is...It has a lot of the same basic conventions as one but it's does so many original things that it sets itself apart.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Sure it is...It has a lot of the same basic conventions as one but it's does so many original things that it sets itself apart.

Is it first person? Yes.

Do you shoot things? Sometimes.

Is that the point of the game? Not remotely.

Putting Bioshock into a category with stuff like Quake is just goofy. It's a survival horror game with a strong adventure bend. Oh, and occasionally you fire weapons at people.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

Is it first person? Yes.

Putting Bioshock into a category with stuff like Quake is just goofy. It's a survival horror game with a strong adventure bend. Oh, and occasionally you fire weapons at people.

You shoot a lot of things...Considering how you can create ammo for your guns, to shoot things. It's still a FPS regardless of it's company. There are plenty of games that don't fit the Quake mold that are still FPS...Bioshock changed the formula up by adding special powers to the guns.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

Is it first person? Yes.

I don't see what you're getting at here. Stuff like Quake? Explain please. Quake introduced multiplayer fragging to the FPS. A far bigger genre changing development then anything Bioshock will ever spawn I'm sure of that.

This post is exactely what I'm talking about with you man. You always seem like you've played a different game than me. I shot alot of things in Bioshock. Maybe it wasn't always with guns but I was aiming and pulling the triggers. It's a FPS plain and simple. Survival horror? What was so horrifying about it. It had as much tension in it as Bambi. Perhaps if they would have actually used those cool creature designs they had in their concept artbook it might have been but there were 2 enemies. Humans and Big Daddies. Scary it was not. I don't see how it can be thought of as an adventure game either.