FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Sublime - What the hell?
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The wife and I finally sat down and watched this one (we'd had it from Netflix for a good month or two) and I have to say, what the fuck? I keep up with some really bizarre, cryptic movies. Inland Empire, The Attic Expeditions, hell, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is my all time favorite movie. This one isn't a mind fuck, it's just tedious and confusing.

The Wikipedia entry seems to explain the plot, but also seems to make a shitload of assumptions and guesses based on their interpretation. I get -what- happened, I just don't get the -point-. Jacob's Ladder had a point, and all other 'purgatory'-type movies I've seen have had a clear point. This one eludes me, and it isn't because the movie is clever.

The Biblical references seem absolutely pointless. If they're red herrings, they sure went a long way to produce them.

The nature of Laurence Hilton Jacobs' character completely escapes me. One minute, he appears to be a manifestation of evil while Zoe is a manifestation of good. Then, he appears to be a manifestation of death, a reaper, ambiguous but not particularly kind. Then there's the whole Mandingo nonsense where he's, what, the manifestation of latent racism within George? To further confuse things, if you watch the unedited surgical exorcism video in the special features, it seems to suggest he's a demon. (The demon says many of the same things Mandingo does, and there's reference to 'the black man that sits outside Gehenna'.)

Most importantly, what is the POINT of it all? Why does he go on this journey? What does he learn? What are we supposed to learn?

I want to know just because I hate this fucking movie, it's poorly done and boring as hell, but I want to be able to better discuss why I hate it, to avoid the defense of 'you just didn't understand it'. I want to understand -and- be able to say it sucks great amounts of pretentious ass.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

"Sublime" was the biggest piece of DTDVD garbage I've seen in years. It was tedious, heavy handed, poorly acted, a cheap attempt at social commentary, and excruciating.

Every movie from Raw Feed has been garbage so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I hear ya, but it got a good review here and elsewhere. I'm assuming someone, somewhere, has some idea what went on as it wasn't atmospheric enough to warrant digging just for the 'trippy' value.
mansuave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:04 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't understand the good reviews, either. Couple of friends of mine and I rented it on a whim. It's bullshit.

There's true mindfuck movies that open your head and leave indelible images and feelings. INLAND EMPIRE is a perfect example. David Lynch is a master.

But then there's movies like SUBLIME, films that desperately want to be mindfucks, but just aren't. What's sad is that the subject matter could make for an interesting film if the director hadn't thought he was Lynch or Cronenberg, with a dash of M. Night Shyamalan.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:

Not true. Believers and Otis were both good Raw Feed movies.

But, yea, Sublime was lame.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:21 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Terminal wrote:

Not true. Believers and Otis were both good Raw Feed movies.

But, yea, Sublime was lame.

Corrected:

"Every movie I've seen from Raw Feed has been garbage so far."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address