FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Anyone keeping up with the WWE?
RingoJ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 am  Reply with quote

It was nice seeing Jericho again.
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:05 am  Reply with quote

Damn! I didn't know there was a 3 hour 15th anniversery special on tonight.

Just turned it on to find Gillberg being tossed over the ropes in a battle royal. Laughing

Anyone been watching the whole show?
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Texas Horror wrote:
Damn! I didn't know there was a 3 hour 15th anniversery special on tonight.

Just turned it on to find Gillberg being tossed over the ropes in a battle royal. Laughing

Anyone been watching the whole show?

Watched it and got it recorded. I can shoot you a DVD copy if ya want.

Considering how dreadful the program can be lately, last night was a lot of fun. They ran out of steam near the end, and the thing with Mankind, Taker, and Austin was no huge surprise, but it was still a riot. Gonna make the show from here on out look like a pile of crap, if ya ask me, even with Jericho returning.

And surprisingly enough...No Cena. Which is a godsend.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Nah... Don't worry about sending me a copy. But I really appreciate the offer.

Yeah it did kinda peter out towards the end.

Is it just me, or does Y2J bear a striking resemblence to Benoit with his hair cut like that. Maybe he was trying to look like him. That's the first time I've watched Raw since Jericho came back, so it caught me off guard at first.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 am  Reply with quote

I thought the anniversary show was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed that Marty Jannety main-evented (arguably) the biggest Raw of all-time. I just found that funny considering all the wrestlers who were there.

Oh, and the Repo Man discovered a way to botch a clothesline, which was new and inventive. Laughing

The "Million Dollar Man" stole the show for me with his awesome segment.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Texas Horror wrote:

Is it just me, or does Y2J bear a striking resemblence to Benoit with his hair cut like that. Maybe he was trying to look like him. That's the first time I've watched Raw since Jericho came back, so it caught me off guard at first.

Hey....you really want something that's worth your time and money, pick up the new DVD that just came out called TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

I found it at Wal Mart for like 19.99 and let me tell you, it's more than worth every penny. Basically the history of World Class, and the Freebirds/Von Erich feud, with some AWESOME matches thrown in on the second disc.

HIGHLY reccommended, if for no other reason than to show you just how AWESOME wrestling used to be, BEFORE all the shitty storylines, and horrible writing took over.

Oh, and Vince McMahon stole a lot of his best ideas from Fritz Von Erich. Watch the DVD and you'll see what I mean.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
Texas Horror wrote:

Hey....you really want something that's worth your time and money, pick up the new DVD that just came out called TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

I found it at Wal Mart for like 19.99 and let me tell you, it's more than worth every penny. Basically the history of World Class, and the Freebirds/Von Erich feud, with some AWESOME matches thrown in on the second disc.

HIGHLY reccommended, if for no other reason than to show you just how AWESOME wrestling used to be, BEFORE all the shitty storylines, and horrible writing took over.

Oh, and Vince McMahon stole a lot of his best ideas from Fritz Von Erich. Watch the DVD and you'll see what I mean.

It does look good, but I'd also recommend the independent DVD Heroes Of World Class as well.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Rorschach wrote:
Texas Horror wrote:

I agree on all counts. This is possibly the best wrestling DVD. The history, the characters...all amazing.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

A nice bit of irony occurs right at the end of the DVD, when HHH actually has the unmitigated GALL to look into the camera and state that the Von Erich deaths weren't a part of a curse, but rather a PSA about not doing drugs.

Yeah, don't do DRUGS, kids....but obviously STEROIDS aren't drugs, since HHH does those and that's ok.

Seriously, how fucked up is that statement? Saying that the Von Erich deaths amounted to an anti-drug PSA.....fuck you Hunter.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am  Reply with quote

It seemed from how they were selling the DVD, especially with the interview that MVP did with Michael Hayes, that it was going to be a big "Don't Do Drugs, Kids" PSA as a DVD. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but it looks like it might not have been.

Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, the WHOLE story of WCCW doesn't come off like an anti-drug ad, but Hunter's statement at the end about the Von Erich clan just rubbed me the wrong way. For one thing, it was HUGELY hypocritical, and for another, it grossly simplified the causes of deaths of these young men.

So again, a big FUCK YOU goes out to HHH. Seriously, for a guy who's ass has had more things inserted into it than Jenna Jameson's, Hunter has no room to preach about drug abuse.

That'd be like Dean Martin telling people not to get shitfaced drunk. If WE shouldn't do it, why are YOU doing it?

But yeah, on a whole, that DVD is AMAZING, and it's kinda sad to see how HOT those crowds were back then, (without pyro, entrance themes, or all that garbage, even!) and then compare that to how TEPID the reactions are today.

I truly came away from this DVD thinking pro wrestling may have gotten too big for it's own good.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:38 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I came away from the DVD thinking what a complete bunch of bloodsuckers Vince McMahn and the WWE are.

Also, Michael Hayes was the shit back in the Freebird days...now, he's just a doofus.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
I came away from the DVD thinking what a complete bunch of bloodsuckers Vince McMahn and the WWE are.

Also, Michael Hayes was the shit back in the Freebird days...now, he's just a doofus.

Agreed on both counts. Michael Hayes today is just....kinda like Al Bundy when Al puts on the ol' high school football jersey. It's funny, in a sad way. He's a parody of what he used to be, you know? And what the hell was up with that little lip mustache Hayes was sporting? That about drove me nuts!
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I think Gary Hart came across the best. He seems to be and have been a smart, caring guy. A real departure from who he portrayed on TV.

Fritz von Erich, to me, comes across pretty bad. He builds this promotion around him and his family, lives vicariously through his kids, all the while blind to the problems and pain they were going through.

If he was more of a father to them, as opposed to a promoter, maybe some of them might still be alive.

Just a little aside... Kevin von Erich's voice reminded me of Jame Gumb's from Silence of the Lambs. I couldn't stop doing Buffalo Bill impressions during the program.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

Dead on about Kevin's voice....and yeah, Gary Hart did come acrosss really well.

I think the biggest lesson, from all the promotions that have come and gone over the years is this:

NEPOTISM NEVER, eeeeeeeEVER WORKS.

The end.

But again, I cannot reccommend this DVD highly enough.

And now I REALLY want the WWE to put together a RISE AND FALL OF NWA/WCW set. That, in my mind would be the best one yet.