FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Anyone keeping up with the WWE?
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

A Rise and Fall of WCW would be great, and I honestly misread the title of the WCCW one when they first announced it and thought it was about WCW.

The book "The Death of WCW" is amazing. And what is funny is, all of the things they talk about, I (and all of us, I'm sure) was watching WCW at the time just wondering what the fuck they were doing.

It's a good read, but I'm sure ye all have read it. If not, check it out. I think you'll like it.

Back on WCCW...stop for a second and just think about it... the majority of the guys they either talked about, were on the DVD, or were on the DVD with the matches are dead now.

That's rough. For some reason, the deaths of Bruiser Brody and Chris Adams really stand out (besides the Von Erichs). But all of them are rough, from Gino Hernandez to my favorite wrestler Rick Rude.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:08 am  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
A Rise and Fall of WCW would be great, and I honestly misread the title of the WCCW one when they first announced it and thought it was about WCW.

The book "The Death of WCW" is amazing. And what is funny is, all of the things they talk about, I (and all of us, I'm sure) was watching WCW at the time just wondering what the fuck they were doing.

It's a good read, but I'm sure ye all have read it. If not, check it out. I think you'll like it.

Oh yeah, that book is great. I still can't believe half the crap they did. I will always thank them, though, for the Idaho hardcore match between Terry Funk and Chris Candido. There's just nothing funnier than Funk getting kicked by a horse in the middle of a wrestling match. His response of, "You fucking horse! I'll kill you," was just hilarious. If I remember correctly, that was never edited out on the original broadcast. Go figure.
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

Rorschach wrote:
Texas Horror wrote:
Nah... Don't worry about sending me a copy. But I really appreciate the offer.

Yeah it did kinda peter out towards the end.

Is it just me, or does Y2J bear a striking resemblence to Benoit with his hair cut like that. Maybe he was trying to look like him. That's the first time I've watched Raw since Jericho came back, so it caught me off guard at first.

Hey....you really want something that's worth your time and money, pick up the new DVD that just came out called TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

I found it at Wal Mart for like 19.99 and let me tell you, it's more than worth every penny. Basically the history of World Class, and the Freebirds/Von Erich feud, with some AWESOME matches thrown in on the second disc.

HIGHLY reccommended, if for no other reason than to show you just how AWESOME wrestling used to be, BEFORE all the shitty storylines, and horrible writing took over.

Oh, and Vince McMahon stole a lot of his best ideas from Fritz Von Erich. Watch the DVD and you'll see what I mean.

Man, I gotta get this. WCCW shaped my love for Pro Wrestling.

As I stated in an earlier post, I used to go to all the "house shows" they did back in the day at rodeo arenas, gymnasiums, and places like that.

Had my pic taken with Kerry. Lost it. Grabbed a piece of tape off of the floor that Terry Gordy ripped from his thumb in frustration. Lost it. Slapped "Hollywood" John Tatem on the back when he was getting ready to whack Terry Taylor with a chair, only to have him whirl around with said chair over his head as if he was about to whack me instead, shit my 12 year old pants.

But maybe scarier than that... a drop of Kamala's blood once flew onto the corner of my mouth. Mmmmmm.

Ahhh... the good old days.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:59 am  Reply with quote

Anyone else kinda sorta dissapointed about how Jericho's "big return" panned out?

What the fuck was up with that? You tout the guy as the "savior" of the WWE for about a month, and then he gets a DQ win in his first big title match, only to be pushed out of the title scene by Jeff Hardy?

Here's hoping the Royal Rumble has a triple-threat title match between Jericho, Hardy, and Orton.

Or at the very least, that Jericho wins the Rumble.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:10 am  Reply with quote

The crowds have been dead.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

RingoJ wrote:
The crowds have been dead.

Well, everyone in ther crowd EXCEPT the twelve year old girls screaming for Jeff Hardy.

Neutral

I expect the JBL/Y2J feud will be gold on the mic, but in the ring....JBL never really has gelled well with submission style wrestlers.

Hopefully Jericho comes out on top in that feud and gets back in the title hunt before Super-Cena returns to claim his Cracker-Jack prize of a belt back.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I think Jericho is going to be buried in any feud that they put him in in the upcoming year.

I have a gut feeling that Vince is ticked off that Jericho's hype isn't what he expected and is going to make Jericho suffer for it.

Of course, the better thing... the smart thing to do would be to give him a tremendous push, which is why McMahon will bury him.

McMahon will always do the wrong thing, he doesn't care as long as it's his idea.

Just a little side note about Vince MaMahon: He thinks he won the wrestling war. He didn't he just bought out his competition. That's not really a victory.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Vince DID beat wCw....they were as good as dead in the water once Bischoff's deal to buy wCw with Fusient Entertainment fell through.

All Vince did was scoop up the carcass.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

But there is a real difference between defeating someone and letting them self destruct and pick up the pieces.

There is no dispute that WCW beat WWE for something like 98 weeks (I'm not sure of the number).

Then the Stone Cold movement and DX popularity took over as the nWo storyline became stagnant week after week.

So, if the WCW learned to evolve, not keep a winning idea until it bacame boring, there is a great possibility that they could have continued their streak.

The "sameness" and boring predictabolity of WCW was it's own downfall.

Yes, Vince was beating them in the ratings, but the in-fighting of WCW management, as well as Turner's desire to get out of wrestling really was the final nail in the coffin.

They didn't fold because Vince beat them for good - Vince beat them for good because they folded.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
But there is a real difference between defeating someone and letting them self destruct and pick up the pieces.

There is no dispute that WCW beat WWE for something like 98 weeks (I'm not sure of the number).

Then the Stone Cold movement and DX popularity took over as the nWo storyline became stagnant week after week.

So, if the WCW learned to evolve, not keep a winning idea until it bacame boring, there is a great possibility that they could have continued their streak.

The "sameness" and boring predictabolity of WCW was it's own downfall.

Yes, Vince was beating them in the ratings, but the in-fighting of WCW management, as well as Turner's desire to get out of wrestling really was the final nail in the coffin.

They didn't fold because Vince beat them for good - Vince beat them for good because they folded.

Agreed, and I probably should have clarified that in my earlier post.

It was especially sad to watch the final month of wCw, as it seemed like everyone knew the end was imminent, and just gave the fuck up. They just threw whatever out there, and hoped the hell something could catch fire.

But you know, you make an interesting point about the nWo angle going on far too long. The whole thing should have ended with Sting CLEANLY defeating Hogan at Starrcade, and thereafter cleaning up the last vestiges of the nWo presence in wCw. However, egos and assholes got in the way of THAT happening, and that point is where I pinpoint the end of wCw getting underway. Everything else just sort of snowballed after that.

Guys they should have pushed to the moon jumped ship for the WWF, and the guys they had left were the same old dinosaurs who'd made the WWF stagnant years before.

Bottom line is, after Turner got tired of ATM Eric blowing his cash and pulled out, Vince McMahon had deeper pockets than wCw, and the promotion was effectively crippled.

Out of resources, out of star power, and with their fans rapidly running out of patience for the shitty booking, wCw finally just ran out of time.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Definitely. They were their own worse enemy.

Say what we do about McMahon...it's all true, but one thing he would never do is let his talent get too big for their britches and "ruin" his programming. He retains all control.

The WCW guys took their big shit in the locker room attitude and let it spill into the TV programming, and it just self destructed.

It's a real shame, I was ALWAYS a WCW fan more than a WWE fan.

I still am.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

Dude, me too. I think I was always more of a fan of the Southern mainstays like the Road Warriors, the Freebirds, Sting, Flair, the Steiners, ect. than I was any of the WWF guys at the time. I mean, I was always a Hogan mark as a kid, and dug Macho and the Warrior.....but for the most part, I'd watch NWA/wCw Saturday Night over WWE Prime Time or All American Wrestling.

People can mock me all they want, but DAMN do I miss wCw. They were pretty innovative with their Cruiser division, and before the nWo days, had some of the best flat out pure mark-out wrestling matches imaginable. I still don't know WHY Vince refuses to bring back Wargames. I hear that HHH is very big on the idea, and would love to do one.

Hell, I thing the "Lethal Lottery" would be a kick in the head to bring back as well.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.thewrestlingfan.com/ecwrant.html

This is so fucking hilarious.....I just had to post it here for all of you wrestling nuts to enjoy.
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

I feel that things are getting better with WWE here recently. To me, wrestling is always best when there is a great heel stable for the guys to fight against. Stone Cold wouldn't be half as popular if it wasn't for the Hart Foundation, that was one of the greatest feuds ever! Now Edge hast the belt and a stable, and I think he can carry both for a while. It's also good to see Jeff Hardy getting a push FINALLY. Of course, John Cena won the rumble last night, so that probably fucks over the Raw roster, but I hope not.
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

So who all is in Edge's Stable?

Last I watched, it was just he and Orton.

I may have to watch tonight.