FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> SCI FI Channel Considering Changing Its Name To Beyond
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Go right ahead. It's not like I watch that channel anymore anyway. It stopped having anything to do with the science fiction genre, aside from Battlestar Galactica, a LONG time ago.

Oh, and Bonnie Hammer's an idiot (formerly SCI FI President, currently head of NBC Universal Cable).

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/22/scifi-channel-considering-name-change-to-beyond/
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:47 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
It stopped having anything to do with the science fiction genre, aside from Battlestar Galactica, a LONG time ago.

Please explain that.

However, with BSG and Stargate: Atlantis ending, the only good show they will have left is Eureka. The channel's insistence on canceling its expensive science fiction shows and giving good timeslots to wrestling and reality shows is disheartening. Their daytime schedule has some good shows, but they have striven for years to make it as indecipherable as possible.

Who cares about the name? Rose by any other name and whatnot. Its content is still 95% shit.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

If you think horror 's got it bad, just look at what they did to poor Science Fiction. The new Star Treks are embarrassing, Star Wars jumped the Sarlacc pit long ago, The Terminator took a nose dive (we'll see about this new one, but don't hold your breath), and I won't even mention the X-Flies. Not to mention the plethora (he he, Three Amigos!) of really bad TV.
What was the last real Sci-Fi movie you saw in the theater and liked? I say real as in space ships, lasers, planets, etc. Wall-E? That's pretty sad. The Sci-Fi channel isn't helping matters with their continuous output of crap. I can see why the name change came up. Might as well rename it "Killer Animal Planet" or something.
We as horror fans have a lot to hate and complain about, but hey, at least we're not like the schmucks at the sci-fi convention who have to convince themselves Star Trek is still worth talking about.
Impure159
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Well firefly or serenity (whichever the movie was) was probably the last good sci-fi movie I remember so yeah... but hey! At least fringe is pretty damn good as of late.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Who cares about the name? Rose by any other name and whatnot. Its content is still 95% shit.

As I stated earlier, I'm all for the name change, as it's been a long time coming. They need to go ahead, drop that other shoe, and rename the channel Beyond. They're already programming it in a manner antithetical to the genre they purport the channel to be so why not make the change complete?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
Well firefly or serenity (whichever the movie was) was probably the last good sci-fi movie I remember so yeah... but hey! At least fringe is pretty damn good as of late.

I keep forgetting about that one. The show had some good episodes and some pretty lame ones, but the movie surprised me in a good way. Still don't like the engineer chick with the lazy eye, but the rest of the cast is pretty solid.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
What was the last real Sci-Fi movie you saw in the theater and liked? I say real as in space ships, lasers, planets, etc. Wall-E? That's pretty sad. The Sci-Fi channel isn't helping matters with their continuous output of crap. I can see why the name change came up. Might as well rename it "Killer Animal Planet" or something.

You know, space opera has always been the tip of the SF iceberg and far from the only "real SF" out there.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

You know, space opera has always been the tip of the SF iceberg and far from the only "real SF" out there.

Oh, I totally agree. I didn't really know how to phrase it, but "Space Opera" sounds much better. My point is that there has been a huge drought in that department for years now. There has been plenty of sci-fi slash fantasy or horror over the years. Donnie Darko, Children of Men and Avalon just to name a few. Some would put Mad Max, Doomsday and Iron Man and the like in that category. Sci fi encompasses many types of movies, but it's been a long time since we saw a good flying saucer movie. You know, little green men type stuff.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
If you think horror 's got it bad, just look at what they did to poor Science Fiction.
Star Wars jumped the Sarlacc pit long ago

Nitpicking, but Star Wars is fantasy.

I would also say that between Serenity and WallE (a damn fine movie I might add) Sunshine was a very good space science fiction movie.

The space opera is in a bit of a lull right now, but these things come and go. Look how many epic fantasy movies got made in the wake of Lord of the Rings. One big, successful space opera and in a year we will be back to bemoaning how played out it is and how the studios need to give it a rest and come up with some new ideas.

Perhaps more interestingly than in the theaters, television is beginning to hit a very surprising dearth of space shows. I say surprising, because shows like BSG and Stargate: Atlantis both get rave critical reviews and pull big ratings. Yet both are being canceled, meaning that for the first time in at least 2 decades that there will be no new episodes of a big space drama on TV. Unless something new is debuting next year and I merely do not know about it. *sigh* And so ends the direct legacy of ST:TNG.
Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sunshine = last really great space film
goblin310
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Nomad wrote:

I'd say its the best hard SF movie to come out in awhile.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

Nomad wrote:

HOLY SHIT! We agree?!?! Shocked
I take back all the hurtful things I said about you.
...And your dog.
...And your girlfriend.
...And your mom.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

As in, It's BEYOND saving?

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
As in, It's BEYOND saving?

That sounds about right.

I mentioned this on another forum and a member (appropriately named bicker) began a lengthy diatribe over several posts (and several pages) about how SCI FI's catering to what the public wants and not the narrowness of what I and others want. I replied alright then, if content matters not I can't wait to see Taxi Driver on Food Network. And oh yeah, niche programming doesn't work; how long has Turner Classic Movies on? Oh but people don't want to watch old movies, do they? Said asshole kept on keeping on, spouting off about how superior SCI FI is these days, how they don't program to what a select few want to see, sounding so much like a PR flack for NBC Universal. The idiot seemed not to grasp the entire concept of what a genre-based channel should air, like the name of a channel shouldn't come into the equation when discussing or constructively criticizing it.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

When Galactica ends in a few months, SciFi's reason for existing comes to an end.