FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Dread Central Cinema -> Official Watch Thread: Nov. 2 - Silence of the Lambs
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:11 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I love Jodie Foster in the filthy way that only a straight man or woman can love a gorgeous lesbian.

I agree!
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:13 am  Reply with quote

Ted Tally also did the screenplay adaptation for 'Red Dragon' which proved that even with Anthony Hopkins back as Lector, Brett Ratner is no Michael Mann. Let alone Jonathan Demme or Ridley Scott.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:13 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I love Jodie Foster in the filthy way that only a straight man or woman can love a gorgeous lesbian.
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:14 am  Reply with quote

'Thomas Harris' , author of the novel "The Silence of the Lambs", has never watched the film because he is afraid it will influence his writing.
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:17 am  Reply with quote

As much as I love this film it also killed the reputation of the serious horror film. When this film came out it was called a horror film. When it started being so successful it started to be called a ... psychological thriller. After that point any dramatic horror film was called a psychological thriller. It's too late to go back. A lot of people I know still argue with me to this day that this film, Seven, and other films are not horror films. They're psychological thrillers. It is now in the minds of the normies.
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:18 am  Reply with quote

John Hurt, Christopher Lloyd, Patrick Stewart, Louis Gossett Jr., Robert Duvall, Jack Nicholson, and Robert De Niro were all considered for the role of Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Jeremy Irons turned down the offer.

Jonathan Demme cast Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter based on his performance in The Elephant Man (1980).
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 am  Reply with quote

Originally Anthony Hopkins was supposed to be holding a sausage when we first see him standing there. He was supposed to detach it and pass it to Starling through the drawer.

Ok. I made that up.
Lunablix
Little Fucker

Gory wrote:
As much as I love this film it also killed the reputation of the serious horror film. When this film came out it was called a horror film. When it started being so successful it started to be called a ... psychological thriller. After that point any dramatic horror film was called a psychological thriller. It's too late to go back. A lot of people I know still argue with me to this day that this film, Seven, and other films are not horror films. They're psychological thrillers. It is now in the minds of the normies.

Normies Laughing
BlackFlagg

Anthony Hopkins described his voice for Hannibal Lecter as, "a combination of Truman Capote and Katharine Hepburn."

Anthony Hopkins studied videotapes of serial killers as part of his research for the film. After noticing that Charles Manson hardly ever blinked when he spoke, he did the same for Hannibal Lecter. (He did, however, blink at least once during Lecter's conversation with Clarice in his "open-plan" cell.)
BlackFlagg

Lunablix wrote:
Gory wrote:

Normies Laughing

Laughing
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:22 am  Reply with quote

Gory wrote:
I do my best to correct anyone that uses the term "psychological thriller."
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:23 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Gory wrote:
I do my best to correct anyone that uses the term "psychological thriller."
I agree! I find a good squaw kick to the nuts drives the point home nicely Very Happy
BlackFlagg

The inspiration for the Silence of the Lambs was the real life relationship between University of Washington criminology professor and profiler Robert Keppel and real life serial killer Ted Bundy. Bundy helped Keppel in his investigation of the Green River Serial Killings in Washington. While Bundy was executed 24 January 1989, the Green River Killings went unsolved until 2001 when Gary Ridgway was arrested. On 5 November 2003, Ridgway pleaded guilty to 48 counts of aggravated first degree murder in a King County, Washington (Seattle) courtroom.
Gory

BlackFlagg wrote:
Anthony Hopkins described his voice for Hannibal Lecter as, "a combination of Truman Capote and Katharine Hepburn."

Anthony Hopkins studied videotapes of serial killers as part of his research for the film. After noticing that Charles Manson hardly ever blinked when he spoke, he did the same for Hannibal Lecter. (He did, however, blink at least once during Lecter's conversation with Clarice in his "open-plan" cell.)
I never knew that. Now I notice the Truman Capote influence in the voice. Laughing
BlackFlagg

Jodie Foster claims that during the first meeting between Lecter and Starling, Anthony Hopkins's mocking of her southern accent was not rehearsed and that Hopkins improvised it on the spot. Foster's reaction of horror was totally genuine, as she felt personally attacked, though she later thanked Hopkins for generating such an honest reaction.