FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> HORROR COMICS THREAD
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked up Edgar Allan Poe's Haunt of Horror #2 from Marvel's Max imprint. A lot better than the first issue. This issue adapted The Tell-Tale Heart, Spirits of the Dead, Eulalie and The Lake. Richard Corben varied his art style just a bit in each of the four tales, making them each feel different even though it's still recognizable as his. It was a very fun read, too. The adaptations for Spirits of the Dead and The Lake have a Creepshow vibe to them, which I was really digging. They also worked a blow-up sex doll into one of the adaptations. "This ain't exactly your daddy's Edgar Allan Poe!" Indeed. Check it out.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing will ever top "The Walking Dead" for me.

I consider it such a masterpiece of comic book literature for me. Intelligent, subversive, witty, engrossing, horrifying, and compelling. Watching these people inhabit a prison as a home is such an amazing statement about their current situation in the world once known as Earth. These people are now prisoners in their own world hiding out in a prison. I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, The Walking Dead is great. I have the 1st trade and I've been buying the monthly since issue 7. About the only book of Kirkman's that I don't buy is Invincible.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Yeah, The Walking Dead is great. I have the 1st trade and I've been buying the monthly since issue 7. About the only book of Kirkman's that I don't buy is Invincible.

I read numbers 1-25, and I would buy the others if I had a comic shop near here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Shocked Holy crap! I just got around to reading The Walking Dead #28. Holy Crap! Shocked

I also just read that Marvel is putting out a new Zombie comic in their Max line.

"ZOMBIE #1 (of 4)
Written by MIKE RAICHT
Pencils & Cover by KYLE HOTZ
Cash stolen from the botched bank job: $125,000.
Two loaded shotguns keeping the hostages quiet: $675.00.
A 1/2 tank of gas in the getaway car: $27.50.
Smashing through a police roadblock and fighting for your life against hundreds of flesh eating Zombies: Priceless.
Welcome to Zombie action, MAX style. In this four-issue limited series by Mike Raicht and Kyle Hotz, the dead roam the earth, a small town in New York State is under siege, and human flesh is what's for dinner! And humanity's last hope is hiding out in a little rest-stop on Interstate 90. Barricade your doors and windows and get the guns loaded...hell is on Earth, and it just might be up to a man named Simon Garth to stop it..."

A new spin on Marvel's Simon Garth Zombie character then. Looks cool. I will check it out. Here's hoping they can get some Werewolf By Night action going in Max soon. Cool
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 am  Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know, IDW's "Zombies!" issue #2 comes out. I cannot say much from just one issue, but it seemed okay from the first issue with decent gore and one advantage over "Walking Dead" (which remains #1 in my books) in that it is in color. I suppose it has another in the sense that so far they have managed to keep pretty close to their projected release dates...
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

I believe they have pushed VOL 5 of the Walking Dead back until December now. For those who don't want to get the monthly issues.
vlad1967
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Nothing will ever top "The Walking Dead" for me.

Great book, possibly tied with The Goon for best comic out there today. I'd love to see this adapted by someone like HBO.

http://www.horror-web.com/
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone else read the Max title, Zombie, yet?

I like the first issue. It wasn't the best ever, but it seems like it could be a really fun mini. Sort of a cross between Return of the Living Dead and From Dusk Till Dawn with a touch of maybe 28 Days Later or the new Dawn, so far, but better than that makes it sound.
conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:47 am  Reply with quote

Zombie is cool. Definitely better than IDW's zombies has panned out. It is definitely more serious than Marvel Zombies (which is still great). Looking forward to how it develops.