FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Games that never happened...
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

You know, someone had better pick up Ghostbusters, because I am getting tired of this shit. What shit?

Duke Nukem Forever
Possession
City of the Dead

How do games with fucking AWESOME potential keep getting canceled/indefinitely delayed? Put out shitty versions, at least then I can be pissed about how much it sucks and get over it in a couple days. These games not being made eats at me for years. I mean sequels to already successful franchises are fine and all, but really, who does not want to control a horde of zombies and have them taking over a city? Or have GTA style gameplay with zombies and mutants trying to rip your car apart? Fucking eh. This one goes out to all those games that never even got a chance.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Duke Nukem Forever is still in the works. In-game footage has been seen by a select few.

Possession....I'd love to know the story there. I played that thing, and it was fun even in the rudimentary form it was in.

City of the Dead...consider yourself lucky. We had a hand in killing that one, and for good reason. That thing was a mockery of all that is unholy.

My biggest one remains Dead Rush, which had a killer team, looked incredible and was apparently quite a bit along when it was canned. GTA in the middle of Z-day. That pitch sells itself. You mention it directly in your note here, and yes, this game existed. Zombies clinging to the car, having to shake them off and sometimes stop to fix a tire or something while also keeping them at bay, all that good stuff. And it got canned. So Treyarch could work on sports games. Gotta love Activision.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

I think I was confusing "City of the Dead" with "Dead Rush."

EDIT - oh, and I will believe "Forever" when I play it. When was that game first announced? 11 years ago? And they have released press material every few years or so.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum wrote:
I think I was confusing "City of the Dead" with "Dead Rush."

EDIT - oh, and I will believe "Forever" when I play it. When was that game first announced? 11 years ago? And they have released press material every few years or so.

Ah yes, that explains it.

As for Nukem, the important thing about the latest reports is that they're showing more than they've ever had before. So it -is- moving forward, although you're right to think that 'moving forward' is a long way from 'being released.'
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

There was a really sick nasty fighting game called Thrill Kill that was supposed to come out on the original Playstation back in '99.
It got banned.
Game Trailers has an awesome video of the history of the game on their site.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
There was a really sick nasty fighting game called Thrill Kill that was supposed to come out on the original Playstation back in '99.
It got banned.

Yeah. Looking back, what was the big deal anyway? The violence is nothing we don't see in current games. My, how things have changed in these few short years.
Now where the HELL is my Duke Nukem game already?!
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Now we just have to wait for Left 4 Dead and Dead Island.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pestilence
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

ajburton29 wrote:
It got banned.

I got my hands on a copy of Thrill Kill a few years ago and did enjoy it. It's nowhere near as OTT as its reputation would have you believe. When you switch on the Playstation, you have to press the X button to "Accept" that you want to play the game, otherwise the console switches off, lol.

Funny how it got banned yet the same engine was used to create the, no less gory, Wu Tang : Bring the Pain.