FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Firefly
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:09 am  Reply with quote

SPOILERS TO SERENITY!!

Was everyone else completely and utterly shocked when Wash was killed? I recall watching the movie, and then that big rod crashed through the window and impaled him and I was simply and utterly stunned.

I was also very depressed. Wash was one of my favorites on the show and it was utterly shocking to see him die like that. Especially knowing how protective Zoe was with him throughout the series.

END SPOILERS!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:27 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

That's Whedon for ya. Your favorite character can get iced in the blink of an eye.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:39 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
That's Whedon for ya. Your favorite character can get iced in the blink of an eye.

That's what I've been told. And he ups the ante in the climax with the reavers by really hitting the main cast hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shadogrrrl
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:44 am  Reply with quote

yeh, I cried like a wee babe at the end of Serenity, cuz that was it, no more Firefly. They killed it, stupid Fox. They kill all the good shows after X-Files, well even before. I hate Fox and try not to even be remotely interested in anything they air.

anyway, I also was one of the few to watch it on tv as it aired, even got caught up in the petitions. I also watch it every few months or so. I still hold out hope tho that some beautiful day this wonderful show will return to us. Family Guy made it back and there is rumor of Futurama. I'm prob'ly being very naive but when all hope is gone you have to plug up your ears and hope even harder and yell blah, blah, blah.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:46 am  Reply with quote

shadogrrrl wrote:
yeh, I cried like a wee babe at the end of Serenity, cuz that was it, no more Firefly. They killed it, stupid Fox. They kill all the good shows after X-Files, well even before. I hate Fox and try not to even be remotely interested in anything they air.

anyway, I also was one of the few to watch it on tv as it aired, even got caught up in the petitions. I also watch it every few months or so. I still hold out hope tho that some beautiful day this wonderful show will return to us. Family Guy made it back and there is rumor of Futurama. I'm prob'ly being very naive but when all hope is gone you have to plug up your ears and hope even harder and yell blah, blah, blah.

There's always hope. If not at least make two more films and finish it out like a trilogy. For god sake. Fans have even taken a collection on Fireflyfans.net, or was it browncoats.net? I forget.

Either way, Fans are willing to fund a new movie, just do it. Hell, I'll even tak a commercial laden Sci Fi Original movie!
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Elf wrote:
Unfortunately, I missed it on Fox as well. Partly because my local FOX, which stands for Fuckers Off X. . . something. Well, they're fuckers. Back to the story, they kept preempting it for baseball games and shit so you NEVER knew what time it was on. I mean, I was going to watch it because, well, I adore Joss Whedon.

Then the show died because FOX were fuckers.

And was resurected because of the fans. Now, how nifty is that? We got our movie. Shame there wasn't more.

Much love for Mal. I would MARRY Nathan Fillion if I could. Also, surprises the HECK out of me is that man's accent. He sounds like they picked him up out of Wyoming or Texas and he's actually from Canada, freaky huna?

Summer Glau will always have a place in my heart. I know the popular choice for this show is Inara or Saffron, but I am so in love with River and Summer Glau.

I agree! River was number 1 for me Drool Wub , followed closely by Kaylee, Jewel is so damn cute Wub
Elf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

Sure, Inara's gorgeous, but Kaylee and River have something that she doesn't. A lot of the men I know found Kaylee and River more appealing than Inara.

My father said, "Sure, Inara is simply gorgeous, but Kaylee's ADORABLE and River's a doll baby. I'd take those over the gorgeous girl anyday."

Also, Kaylee and River are more accessable in their way.

And Zoe's dead sexy. She could kick your ass, but you'd like very moment of it.

(Simon's cute without his hair slicked back, and a LOT of women I know adore Jayne. But Mal, give me my sweet Mal.)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Great show that I just didn't get into on FOX. I went and saw Serenity and enjoyed it so I went back and watched the show again and fell in love. When I watched Serenity a second time it killed me that it was over. Just like Buffy's finale.

Angel had only marginal success in this department because I was sad about some of the characters dying rather than the show itself.
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

Loved the series, adored the movie. Kaylee...Now there's a woman I could have impure thoughts about. And River...*shiver*
It's always the psycho ones that do it for me. Great show. I wish they'd bring it back.

Best reaction in that, or any show, was when River first saw the Shepherd without his hair bound. The screaming and hiding just killed me!
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:46 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I loved Serenity but still have yet to watch the Firefly DVD's. There just aren't enough hours in the day, damnit!

It's on the shelf waiting patiently along with Millennium and Dead Like Me.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
There's always hope.

Unfortunately not in this case. The series went WAY overbudget and was cancelled because of poor ratings, and the movie didn't simply underperform -- it BOMBED both domestically and internationally, not even making back its relatively low production budget. Though I enjoyed both the series and film immensely, I'm being realistic here. The only medium in which you'll see "Firefly" return is in comics or in print. Period. Sorry to be so blunt, but them's the facts.

Terminal wrote:
If not at least make two more films and finish it out like a trilogy. For god sake. Fans have even taken a collection on Fireflyfans.net, or was it browncoats.net? I forget.

Those fans (particularly some of those frighteningly obsessive "browncoats") are both delusional and clueless. Universal owns the rights and could care less about relinquishing them to a cadre of insane fans who couldn't even put together enough money or talent to make a reasonably competent fan film.

It's time to embrace realism and enjoy the fact that we got a handful of well-written episodes and a pretty darned good movie that appealed primarily to a small but vocal niche group. For me, that's enough. I'd rather it be short and sweet than long, drawn-out and eventually watered-down. Be glad that the "Firefly" universe burned brightly for its short life -- thankfully, it never had time to suck.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Terminal wrote:
There's always hope.

Unfortunately not in this case. The series went WAY overbudget and was cancelled because of poor ratings, and the movie didn't simply underperform -- it BOMBED both domestically and internationally, not even making back its relatively low production budget. Though I enjoyed both the series and film immensely, I'm being realistic here. The only medium in which you'll see "Firefly" return is in comics or in print. Period. Sorry to be so blunt, but them's the facts.

Terminal wrote:
If not at least make two more films and finish it out like a trilogy. For god sake. Fans have even taken a collection on Fireflyfans.net, or was it browncoats.net? I forget.

Those fans (particularly some of those frighteningly obsessive "browncoats") are both delusional and clueless. Universal owns the rights and could care less about relinquishing them to a cadre of insane fans who couldn't even put together enough money or talent to make a reasonably competent fan film.

It's time to embrace realism and enjoy the fact that we got a handful of well-written episodes and a pretty darned good movie that appealed primarily to a small but vocal niche group. For me, that's enough. I'd rather it be short and sweet than long, drawn-out and eventually watered-down. Be glad that the "Firefly" universe burned brightly for its short life -- thankfully, it never had time to suck.

Well, thanks for telling me something I didn't already know, and thanks for pretending you're telling me something I haven't known for a while. I loved the editorial though.

And who are you calling delusional and clueless with you describing "Hostel" as "a film that will endure the test of time"?

Glare
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Well, thanks for telling me something I didn't already know, and thanks for pretending you're telling me something I haven't known for a while. I loved the editorial though.

No problem. Thanks for being a sarcastic asshole and taking yourself way too seriously. Bitter much?

Terminal wrote:
And who are you calling delusional and clueless with you describing "Hostel" as "a film that will endure the test of time"?

I enjoyed HOSTEL and consider it to be one of the better horror films of the year, as did many, many other people. Many more people, in fact, enjoyed HOSTEL than SERENITY, judging by the vast difference in numbers and the fact that a sequel was greenlit immediately. I think it's an enduring, interesting horror film that struck a chord with genre fans as well as casual viewers, as evidenced by its success. SERENITY couldn't even endure past one movie. As for your opinion, more power to you, but I don't give a shit, frankly. And incidentally, are you so petty and unfit for a non-agressive debate that you have to resort to attacking a post that I made in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THREAD? Try sticking to the subject at hand, Sparky. After all, it's not like I came on here and mocked you for, say, liking a comic as abysmally awful as DARKHAWK, now, is it? Laughing

As for the delusional and clueless "browncoats," sorry, but having spent a year seeing the most obsessive and freaky of that bunch infesting virtually every message board out there and launching vitriolic attacks against anyone and everyone while simultaneously igoring facts that stare them right in the face, well, I have have no sympathy for them whatsoever. And let me make this clear -- I wasn't attacking you. Not one little bit. Try not to take things so personally next time.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

And incidentally, I'm NOT trying to start a flame war. I'm just a sarcastic asshole myself.
Elf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:12 am  Reply with quote

Part of the reason is that it was too smart for most viewers. Or it didn't have any big name actors too it. Or most people didn't understand the concept.

It's sad when a movie about torture and pain does better than a smartly written sci-fi epic.

Or how a show like Charmed and Seventh Heven can go on like for ten seasons and not be canceled while shows like Firefly only last eleven and get canned.

I'm happy to have gotten what I got. However, I want more sadly. Or I'd like to see Nathan Fillion's career get made because he's a damned good actor.

Joss Whedon's safe. He's doing Wonder Woman and writing the best X-Men comic in a decade.