FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Full Resident Evil 5 Trailer!
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 am  Reply with quote

THEY ADDED FUCKING CAUCASIAN ZOMBIES!!!! CAUCASIAN AFRICANS!!!! EN HORDE!!! (If there's such a thing as Caucasian Africans, then wow...foot meet mouth)

UGH. STUPID FUCKING SHIT. PIECES OF FUCK, RACIAL CONTROVERSY BULLSHIT MOTHERFUCKERS. OOH THEY'RE KILLING BLACKS THEY HATE BLACKS ZOMGZOMGZOMG!!!BULL!!! KISS MY FUCKING FAGGOTTY YELLOW CHINK ASS!!! FUCKING PUSSIES!!! UGH!!!

Fatal Frame 4 exclusively Wii saddens me. At the least I get to still have Left 4 Dead. I hear they've got some intense shit (running zombie!). That and Dead Space are what I'm looking forward to the most right now (excluding RE5 of course).
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Spaceshark wrote:
THEY ADDED FUCKING CAUCASIAN ZOMBIES!!!! CAUCASIAN AFRICANS!!!! EN HORDE!!! (If there's such a thing as Caucasian Africans, then wow...foot meet mouth)

UGH. STUPID FUCKING SHIT. PIECES OF FUCK, RACIAL CONTROVERSY BULLSHIT MOTHERFUCKERS. OOH THEY'RE KILLING BLACKS THEY HATE BLACKS ZOMGZOMGZOMG!!!BULL!!! KISS MY FUCKING FAGGOTTY YELLOW CHINK ASS!!! FUCKING PUSSIES!!! UGH!!!

Fatal Frame 4 exclusively Wii saddens me. At the least I get to still have Left 4 Dead. I hear they've got some intense shit (running zombie!). That and Dead Space are what I'm looking forward to the most right now (excluding RE5 of course).

Good Lord, keep it down. I have a hangover and you're making the kids cry! Very Happy
If I had to guess, maybe a bunch of relief workers or missionaries (the majority of whom are white) stumble into the virus, and Chris needs to stop it from spredding to the locals. Or maybe Umbrella only hires white guys, we all know how evil they are. Those dang white people are EVERYWHERE these days.
Where did you see/hear about this? I'd like to check it out.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36469.html

You know I hate it when you use logic to end my irrational outbursts!

Okay, there's no army of white guys, but the four or five of them popping up kind of ruins the atmosphere for me.

I'm just a really sensitive guy, okay?! I just want to shoot people in the face and not worry about someone being offended by it!!!
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:32 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:

#1: They aren't zombies. This has something to do with the virus that came before the T-Virus, that the Redfields had a run-in with before. This sounds like a nitpick but isn't, because...

#2: Someone is clearly behind the release of this virus, and I highly doubt it's poor, indigenous native Africans. Basically, there's your supply of potentially infected caucasians right there.

#3: Most importantly, much talk about RE5 has mentioned 'various' locales. In short, you can no longer be sure that every screen cap is from Africa, or at least from the same part of Africa. (Check out Morocco, they're several shades from Nigeria.)

I don't think this was done to placate the western media, simply because Capcom and Japanese game makers as a whole generally don't give a shit what N'Gai Croal thinks. They make games for their market, and if we beg enough and offer enough money they -may- localize them for us. If a game is too far removed from our culture (such as the semi-legendary 'Michigan') then they just don't ship it here. Resident Evil makes a lot of money here, and there's obviously a lot of work put in to sell it here...but they'll make what they want and what will sell to Japanese gamers.

Besides, there's a long history of caucasian (even -Aryan-) villains in RE history. I have -always- thought that the villagers seen attacking Redfield in early footage of RE5 were simply victims and pawns of an unseen force of western extraction. (I'm willing to bet blonde hair and blue eyes...that seems to be the makeup of every RE villain from Wesker on down.)
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:

PS: Don't mourn yet. I have many deep concerns for FF4.

#1: Suda 51. I know this is blasphemy to many, but I've yet to play a game by the guy that wasn't deeply flawed. Is he a creative genius? Yes, as an art director or creative lead. As a game designer? He seems to favor insanity over fun, and this isn't the franchise for any shenanigans.

#2: Wii-only. My concern isn't the limited userbase, it's the motive behind that choice. Yes, the Wii-mote may be the best control scheme we've seen yet...or it may amount to a gimmicky pain in the ass. They're fixing something that isn't broken. Fix the camera, fix the uneven difficulty, fix the ridiculous amount of backtracking to hunt down new keys...the control scheme has been just fine.

#3: This is the big one. Virtually no publicity. This game is OUT in a week in Japan...and what have we seen of it? Just like with films, no early press exposure is never a good sign. Companies proudly display and show off their products when they shine...and they bury them in secrecy when they don't.

All this is coming from an avowed Fatal Frame nerd who has had a rocky history with the franchise. (Loved the first one, ADORED the second and consider it one of the finest games ever, and didn't even finish the third due to the wonky design decisions constantly interrupting the scares for, effectively, housework.) My love for the first two games knows no bounds, and other than Silent Hill 2, I've played through FF2 more than any other game. (Maybe 3.5 times...could be 4, not sure.)

Even with all that, I have -zero- optimism at this point for FF4. We'll see.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

You doubt the existence of white Africans? Uhm...You do know that Charlize Theron is African, right?
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
You doubt the existence of white Africans? Uhm...You do know that Charlize Theron is African, right?

Most of South Africa is white as well.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Buz wrote:

Most of South Africa is white as well.

Not to divert the thread, but South Africa isn't primarily white. That was the whole thing with apartheid: it was the rich few oppressing the poor masses.

All of this is beside the point, of course.

If you set a story in the poorer parts of Africa, you're going to be looking at predominantly black characters. If you set a story in the richer parts of Europe or America, you're going to have mostly white characters. It's not racism, it's just the actual racial breakdown of those areas.

That was the problem behind Croal's criticism and all those who spoke out against RE5: they weren't saying 'white people can't kill black people in a game', even though that's what they wanted to say. The end result is 'you can't set this kind of game in Africa, ever, because you're always going to have more blacks as bullet fodder'. Considering that the 'zombies' (or whatever other motivational method they employ) in RE games are -always- victims of a larger plot, that criticism is completely ridiculous.

If anything, the RE games are generically racist the other way, as I said earlier: the masterminds are almost exclusively wealthy, powerful Aryan-type characters with blue eyes and blonde hair. The reason for that is simple, the same reason the Umbrella symbol is so similar to another infamous logo: the writers are trying to draw vague comparisons to the nazis and their evil experiments on unwilling subjects.

South Africa, North Africa, no matter where you go on the continent, if you're looking for an indigenous, poor population to victimize, they're going to be black. Not Afrikaner like Theron.

The female secondary character looks like she could be north African, Morroccan, Egyptian, maybe Algerian, for what it's worth, which suggests we may wind up headed that way before the game is over. I swear I've seen one screenshot that looks like a European city, as well.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Spaceshark wrote:

#1: They aren't zombies. This has something to do with the virus that came before the T-Virus, that the Redfields had a run-in with before. This sounds like a nitpick but isn't, because...

#2: Someone is clearly behind the release of this virus, and I highly doubt it's poor, indigenous native Africans. Basically, there's your supply of potentially infected caucasians right there.

#3: Most importantly, much talk about RE5 has mentioned 'various' locales. In short, you can no longer be sure that every screen cap is from Africa, or at least from the same part of Africa. (Check out Morocco, they're several shades from Nigeria.)

1 - Yes, I know they are not zombies. I'm not a complete moron, I just prefer typing zombies instead of "not-zombies" like everyone did at the start of RE4's release, or "infected" like every politically correct person there is.

2 - ...and if you watched the gametrailers coverage, you can see the hammy white guy is (one of) the villain(s). No one here claims that it was one of the poor folk. Problem is, brainless critics don't see that.

3 - watch the trailer I posted above. It's called "Shanty Town" gameplay, and having random whites in dirty civs along with people of much darker skin. Are they tourists? POWs? Missionaries? I didn't trust screenshots, I trusted the vid.

Also, yes, Fatal Frame 2 is the best in the series IMO. 3 had a nice idea to scare us shitless with the home setting, but it's far less captivating or atmospheric than the former.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am  Reply with quote

So European colonists are now living in shanties? Well, if wikipedia is to be believed, close to 80% of SA is Black African. 9% at white. And Mr. Dark here mentioned something about rich white folk oppressing blacks, so I suppose that seeing them in torn clothes and dilapidated shanties in a fictional town where early trailers suggested no trace of them may have slightly unhinged me.

Learn something new everyday. Didn't know about Theron though, that was nifty.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:20 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:
3 - watch the trailer I posted above. It's called "Shanty Town" gameplay, and having random whites in dirty civs along with people of much darker skin. Are they tourists? POWs? Missionaries? I didn't trust screenshots, I trusted the vid.

I just don't think that's necessarily representative of final gameplay. Even the demo they showed at the E3 presentation looked like slapped-together footage designed to show exactly the features they wanted.

The overally message (apparently not delivered very well, sorry) of my reply was to not give up hope yet. Before, all blacks. Now, mixed. The point is that -still- doesn't mean they specifically caved to critics like Croal, they could have been planned and location-specific all along (just not necessarily in the gameplay used for some of this footage we're seeing).

One thing in the favor of that is that much of that first trailer that caused so much furor looked to be cutscene...they're MUCH less likely to alter a cutscene for a trailer or preview than they are to just drop some varied 'mobs' into a map that's the most complete at this point and release that as a representation of what the game will look like when it's more complete.

IF they did throw in random white folks purely to satisfy the N'Gai Croals of the world, then I'll be every bit as pissed off as you, because there's no way to interpret that other than betraying story and setting to serve some bullshit quota new to the gaming world.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:27 am  Reply with quote

I suppose I did overreact, just a teeeensy bit.

Now I can move on and go and complain about why chainsaw dude didn't take Chris' head off when Rosario Dawson over there was healing him. How long before this game is out? Collision looks pretty... off.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:
I suppose I did overreact, just a teeeensy bit.

Now I can move on and go and complain about why chainsaw dude didn't take Chris' head off when Rosario Dawson over there was healing him. How long before this game is out? Collision looks pretty... off.

March 2009 is the current date. (And these things do tend to slide.) LONG way off.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 am  Reply with quote

Oh, thank Heavens. Hopefully by then it will come out absurdly brilliant and I can deny ever saying nasty things about its development.

I did hear that they were planning on changing the control scheme. Hurm.

Oh fuck everything, I just want a Dead Rising sequel. Set in the city. With the option to choose briefs instead of boxers.
NeoKefka
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I can't remember where exactly that I read it but I do remember seeing a comment from someone who worked on it that when the design team visited Africa for research, they noticed that there was actually a rather large number of white and Middle Eastern people living there along with the black populace in the areas they visited.

And it's pretty funny to look at the GameTrailers comments section and see the reactions of the people who think the Middle Eastern guys are latino.