FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> New Left 4 Dead Footage!
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:15 am  Reply with quote

I really like GoW Neutral

But whatever, I want me some Left4Dead.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Spaceshark wrote:
I really like GoW Neutral

But whatever, I want me some Left4Dead.

No problem with liking GoW, just wanted to point out that it isn't an automatic epic fail for L4D just because GoW2 comes out around the same time.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I said it once, and I'll say it again. Gears of War reminds me of Winback with better graphics and control. It's a good game, but I really don't understand why so many think it's the be all end all of shooters. I think Bioshock doesn't get enough praise.
Cannot WAIT for some Zombie carnage. Between Left 4 Dead, Too Human and Mercenaries co-op, it's time I got my Gold account up again. Just don't look for me on Halo 3. Getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis by 12 year olds is not my idea of fun. Slippery little bastards...
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I can't wait for this but unfortunately, it's coming out 3 days before Gears of War, actually 2 days because it ships on the 4th and won't arrive in stores until the 5th. Personally I'm looking more forward to this than Gears of War 2, but I'm in the vast minority.

I wouldn't say that. L4D has three things going for it that GoW2 doesn't:

1. It's a Valve release. Some of us take that very, very seriously. Valve>99% of the rest of the developing world, just look at that track record.

2. It's a true horror game. GoW may have monsters, but it's an action game. You may as well be shooting at robots, or humans, or whatever other critter du jour they want to toss your way. Some of us will always choose a horror game over an alternative.

3. There are people who just didn't like GoW. I'm one. I normally dig that kind of game, and it just did nothing for me. The story didn't get me hooked at all, the gameplay was muddled and frustrating at times (is it just me, or was finding a grenade, aiming a grenade, and hitting one of the sinkholes in the middle of a firefight just annoying and not in the least bit fun?) and the 'wow' factor was just incredibly low. CoD4, Rainbow 6: Vegas, hell even Stranglehold handled run and gun combat in a much more fun and playable way. Left 4 Dead? No lackluster predecessor to buzzkill it.

I guarantee in the days and weeks following L4D's release, you'll start seeing a tilting of the percentages between people seeking GoW2 games and people seeking to fill their L4D teams. I think L4D's unique concept will have people engaged far beyond yet another plain vanilla GoW shooting gallery.

Gears of War is going to embarass L4D in terms of sales. The Orange Box, which has nothing but great titles on it, barely sold 700,000 total. The awareness for Gears 2 is ridiculously high. And while you may have not liked Gears, millions upon millions did and do. These are very basic reasons why L4D is going to suffer.

It's just not smart to release a game like this in the wake of a game like Gears. How many times have good games been released amongst hyped games and barely sold? Riddick, Beyond Good & Evil, Psychonauts...All great games that suffered because they weren't hyped the way other games were.

This Holiday has tons of AAA hyped titles coming out. I wish Left 4 Dead was getting that same hype but it just isn't and releasing it 2 days before the biggest game of the season is a terrible, terrible idea.
Spaceshark
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
I said it once, and I'll say it again. Gears of War reminds me of Winback with better graphics and control. It's a good game, but I really don't understand why so many think it's the be all end all of shooters. I think Bioshock doesn't get enough praise.
Cannot WAIT for some Zombie carnage. Between Left 4 Dead, Too Human and Mercenaries co-op, it's time I got my Gold account up again. Just don't look for me on Halo 3. Getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis by 12 year olds is not my idea of fun. Slippery little bastards...

Playing Bioshock is like having a sausage party in my mouth. I never want it to end. Huh, I think I'll go play it again. And GoW is awesome because Marcus and Dom are TOTALLY into each other.

And Halo... I never got why people love it so much. Not my cup of tea.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gears of War is going to embarass L4D in terms of sales. The Orange Box, which has nothing but great titles on it, barely sold 700,000 total. The awareness for Gears 2 is ridiculously high. And while you may have not liked Gears, millions upon millions did and do. These are very basic reasons why L4D is going to suffer.

A few problems there. First, I have to wonder if your Orange Box numbers include downloads? That was one of the first majorly downloaded full games, and talking to some friends from the local game store, they all thought that affected in store PC sales negatively. Second, Orange Box was a weird concept, and 2/5's of it's material was not new. If somebody already owned HL2, they probably would have hesitated on OB and maybe just got TF2 or Portal by themselves.

All that said, GoW2 will crush it on X-Box. But to be honest, Valve makes PC games which it ports to consoles for the profits. I am willing to bet that they expect this to be a primarily PC game.

I have not followed it that closely, but really hope that they implement the multi-player between PC and 360. While I have a 360 and a lot of my friends are 360 gamers, I still believe that FPS's belong on PC's. Well, I guess that Nintendo systems are theoretically acceptable although there are scarce few examples.

If there is multi-player across PC and 360, I am definitely getting PC. Otherwise... I will need to think about it. Either way I would probably have to make sacrifices (360 version with poorer controls or PC version with fewer friends).
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:

A few problems there. First, I have to wonder if your Orange Box numbers include downloads? That was one of the first majorly downloaded full games, and talking to some friends from the local game store, they all thought that affected in store PC sales negatively. Second, Orange Box was a weird concept, and 2/5's of it's material was not new. If somebody already owned HL2, they probably would have hesitated on OB and maybe just got TF2 or Portal by themselves.

I'm talking specifically about the 360 version of the game.

Quote:
All that said, GoW2 will crush it on X-Box. But to be honest, Valve makes PC games which it ports to consoles for the profits. I am willing to bet that they expect this to be a primarily PC game.

Considering how much they're pushing this for the 360, I'm sure they think of it as a 360 game.

Quote:
If there is multi-player across PC and 360, I am definitely getting PC. Otherwise... I will need to think about it. Either way I would probably have to make sacrifices (360 version with poorer controls or PC version with fewer friends).

I've never found this a sound argument...The ONLY advantage I see a PC having is the aiming issue, which I've found to be cheap and require less skill anyway.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I've never found this a sound argument...The ONLY advantage I see a PC having is the aiming issue, which I've found to be cheap and require less skill anyway.

High five, baby!
Anyone can point a mouse at a target, but to do it on a controller takes a little more finesse. At least that's my experiance.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:06 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

High five, baby!
Anyone can point a mouse at a target, but to do it on a controller takes a little more finesse. At least that's my experiance.

Damn straight! And if these Olympic runners think they are so fucking fast, they should be wearing 5lb. ankle weights as well! Any idiot can throw a football, the NFL should pass a rule that right handed QB's have to throw left handed and vice versa!

Computer is not just about aiming, although that is a big thing. The keyboard customization is a huge factor. To have all the buttons right where I want them, in addition to just plain having more buttons is great (not really an FPS thing so much as RPG's, but I still did way more complex shit in "Crysis" than I ever bothered trying in "Halo 3"). I think "Goldeneye" was the last console game where I was not constantly mixing up reload and switch weapon.

Oh, and I am nowhere near sure Valve thinks of it as a 360 game. They will make it as good as it can be on the 360 (unless they go PS3 Orange Box on us) but this is a company that makes PC games. They have a long, solid history of PC games, and a spotty record of subsequently porting them to consoles. And, not for nothing, every demo I have seen has been PC footage. Might just be because it is easier to move around and show different aspects (quite a bit of text based commands to respawn mobs), but I really think it is because Valve is a PC game company.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:

Computer is not just about aiming, although that is a big thing. The keyboard customization is a huge factor. To have all the buttons right where I want them, in addition to just plain having more buttons is great (not really an FPS thing so much as RPG's, but I still did way more complex shit in "Crysis" than I ever bothered trying in "Halo 3"). I think "Goldeneye" was the last console game where I was not constantly mixing up reload and switch weapon.

All the buttons are right where I want them on a controller.

Quote:
Oh, and I am nowhere near sure Valve thinks of it as a 360 game. They will make it as good as it can be on the 360 (unless they go PS3 Orange Box on us) but this is a company that makes PC games. They have a long, solid history of PC games, and a spotty record of subsequently porting them to consoles. And, not for nothing, every demo I have seen has been PC footage. Might just be because it is easier to move around and show different aspects (quite a bit of text based commands to respawn mobs), but I really think it is because Valve is a PC game company.

Valve had nothing to do with the PS3 port of Orange Box, so there's no need to worry...Sure Valve has been a PC game company and will continue to be, but they're pushing the hell out of L4D as 360 game. They showed it at E3 on a 360.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I'm the opposite. I get my buttons mixed up all the time on a computer, but it's smooth like buttah on the 360. The biggest gripe I have about computer gaming is the setup. I want to relax on my couch with some nice surround sound and a big screen. the best computer we ever owned never came close to that. I don't want to be hunched over a 14 inch screen in an office chair.
The game will do well on both formats I think. Us console owners have been waiting for a good co-op game for a while now. And I'd rather shoot the undead than terrorists any day.
Those guys SHOULD wear weights. I mean, come on, how else am I supposed to catch them? Ah, who am I kidding, they would still run circles around me. But I can beat them at what really matters...SAMURAI SHOWDOWN!
Impure159
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I don't have an xbox live account, nor did I ever plan on getting one but holy sweet jesus I'll pay anything to play that online.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
I don't have an xbox live account, nor did I ever plan on getting one but holy sweet jesus I'll pay anything to play that online.

Even without missing out Left 4 Dead, not having a Live account is a shame.
Impure159
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:

No it isn't, up till now there is nothing worth playing on Live, I have a silver account to download oblivion content. That is it. I absolutely abhor the Halo series and don't play games that often as it is. It isn't my idea of fun to pay just to listen to xbox fanboys bitch when you kill them in a game.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
Impure159 wrote:

No it isn't, up till now there is nothing worth playing on Live, I have a silver account to download oblivion content. That is it. I absolutely abhor the Halo series and don't play games that often as it is. It isn't my idea of fun to pay just to listen to xbox fanboys bitch when you kill them in a game.

I agree with Impure. Maybe I just have horrible luck, but every time I get an online game going, I'm either surrounded by little prepubescent twats that think it's cool to say fuck every three seconds or elite assholes that complain and yell if I don't follow their every command . Too Human, Mercenaries 2, The Outfit, Duke Nukem and Army of Two have all been a disaster for me. I would love to play online, but it's just too damn serious to most out there.