FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Avoid Vampire Rain at all cost!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Talk about something that was left over from the PS2 ... whew.

Did you ever wonder what a game would be like if you stole ideas straight out of much more popular and better built titles like Splinter Cell, MGS and Resident Evil? Vampire Rain is it.

The exact same "CALL" signal from MGS pops up every time someone just wants to say something to you even it is something as minor as "Good job!!!" The hud layout is very similar to Splinter Cell but the stealth aspects it tries to borrow meet with an illogical control layout that doesn't make sneaking around the vamps easy.

Not to mention that you cannot use dark as a cover; you can only stand behind things. A vampire can see you a mile away if you are ducted down where no lights are present but if you step behind a van or car right in front of them they are none the wiser. Makes sense.

Weapons are useless against the undead threat. If you by chance get spotted by a vamp (all to easy since you have constantly babysit the camera) they get charged up, ran at you and kill you within a hit or two. If you're lucky you'll be able to empty a clip in to them if you're positioned far enough away. One would assume that a military operation dealing with blood drinkers would suit their soldiers up with a little more protective gear around the neck. Too bad, because dying doesn't just make you start over from a checkpoint it is followed up by a cut scene showing you being bitten.

In light of this being the 360's second year out it is to be expected that game developers would strive to take advantage of the hardware and making something that shows the hard work put into it. With the recent release of The Darkness it is plainly clear who takes time working on their product and who takes a dismissed project from an old system and attemps to polish it up with spit and a dirty paper towel.

How this title was shot out and priced at $59.99 will be an eternal mystery. Compound the awkward gameplay with a terrible script and even worse voice acting and you've got one of the worst 360 titles since X-Men: The Last Straw.

The title has been available via full and demo form since January of this year for Japanese users but I suspect a test drive of this game on XBL may never surface due to the games piss poor quality. Go out and get The Darkness, Dead Rising or even RE4 on PS2 if you want something that actually was worth the price of admission.
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Dang that sucks. I was kinda looking forward to this. Would like to find more horror shooter games. Though vampires are suppose to see in the dark Razz

Wish someone made a horror shooter modeled after GTA or MERCENARIES. With a large map area where you can explore and do whatever you want and do missions when you please with a DAY-NIGHT shifting like every 10 min or so. Something like vampire take over of the world and you playing a human killing vamps, breaking into buildings and stuff and you can even be turned into a vamp and play as the opposite team. That would be fun.

I am curious Kryten, how does one kill a vamp in this game and does the rain do anything to them?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

The game doesn't stay constant with its own logic. Early on in the game it is told to the player that rain dumbs down the vampires' senses. However, it only affects their smell. They can still see you unless you are right behind them or behind a vehicle that is right in front of them.

You can kill them if you are quick enough, but too much time is spent on the dumbed down stealth action.