FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> How many here have been published?
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1558
Location: Central Texas

And how hard was it to break into the industry?

Be it a novel or even just a short story?

I used to read like a crack addict smokes (probably around 70 or 80 books total, though not near the amount alot of people read.) Mostly King, Koontz and Rice. A few years ago, I decided I was going to write. After three stories and many rejections from magazines, I pretty much gave up on my pipe dreams.

Anyway, I was thinking of revising some of them or even trying some new story ideas. As well as getting back into reading. I have had the final three Dark Tower's every since they came out in hardback, and I haven't even finished "Song" yet. Guess that would be a good place to start, as well as finishing Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I last read.... ahhh, can't remember the book toward the end of the series that was all about one specific well known vampire. "Blood and Gold" maybe?

There are also some new King novels that I haven't read like "Cell". I think the last of his I read was "Everything's Eventual". I'm gonna have to re buy "On Writing", as it really inspired me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share any of their experiences or advice as far as getting your foot in the perverbial "door".

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:05 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 261

Ironically enough, pretty easy for me. At least the first thing I've had published. The very first short story I submitted to anywhere was picked up by Black Death Books for their Blackest Death Vol III anthology. I was 22 when that was submitted. Ironically, I'm 24 and the book still isn't out yet. It'll be out the end of this year though. http://khpindustries.com/blackestdeath3.html

Then again, I'm not a usual suspect. I got lucky. First thing I'd ever submitted to anyone wasn't rejected. Don't take my story as written in stone.

It is VERY hard to get accepted as a writer. I suggest looking around the internet for publishing companies and the like. If you'd like some critique I'd say join an online community or a zine.

Also, READ. The more you read the better off you are. Read anything from bad fanfiction (shows you what NOT to do) to your Steven King stuff. Also, don't be afraid to mix it up.

And RESEARCH.

Keep it up and good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1558
Location: Central Texas

Thanks Elf.

Yeah, that's what I hear....."writers read."

And yeah, I have tried to prepare myself for the fact that it could take YEARS to get published. I think at best I'm an average to below average writer, and with a small child and work and millions trying just like me to break in... well, it just at times seems like a "pipe dream", as I said.

And trust me, I combed the internet sites like hell for companies accepting submissions. I even sent some through snail mail. Though all this was 3 or 4 years ago.

Oh well. Guess one can always dream. Confused

Also, a quick question.

Do you ever just write? By that I mean... I've read and heard it said that when you hit "writer's block" or are just stale, to write. Peroid.

Just write. Bad, good, decent, horrible, no idea, great idea, short story with no promise, potential best selling novel...... whatever. Just write.

Seems like this would turn a person away if it was forced. But then again, at least it's something. I remember King saying he would kind of unearth stories rather that write them. He said he would start with the most mundane of ideas and little by little it would take shape.

Thanks again man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

This oughta help you find a few new markets.

Other than that, the only other advice I'd offer is 1)PERSISTENCE, and 2) cut down on all that sugar in your diet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2360
Location: Motel 6 Feet Under

Me!

Self Mutilation Volumes 1, 2, and 3

Scars Magazine, Issue 3 -- editorial
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elf
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:24 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 261

Texas Horror wrote:

Also, a quick question.

Do you ever just write? By that I mean... I've read and heard it said that when you hit "writer's block" or are just stale, to write. Peroid.

Just write. Bad, good, decent, horrible, no idea, great idea, short story with no promise, potential best selling novel...... whatever. Just write.

Seems like this would turn a person away if it was forced. But then again, at least it's something. I remember King saying he would kind of unearth stories rather that write them. He said he would start with the most mundane of ideas and little by little it would take shape.

Thanks again man.


Well, yes, I do occasionally get stuck on things. Then again, I have ways to break out of this. I'm a contributing writer for Sequential Tart and when I'm stuck on my fiction I generally work on an article for it. As for getting story ideas I get CHARICTERS and build stories around them.

Then I also have another story as back up when I get stuck on the one I'm currently focused on. I'm also part of a zine and that gives me practice for having a deadline and so on and so forth. Plus it's also a way to get constructive critisism, something a lot of writers today need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1558
Location: Central Texas

Uncle Creepy wrote:
Me!

Self Mutilation Volumes 1, 2, and 3

Scars Magazine, Issue 3 -- editorial


What are the Self Mutilation's?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:46 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1558
Location: Central Texas

Elf wrote:
Texas Horror wrote:

Also, a quick question.

Do you ever just write? By that I mean... I've read and heard it said that when you hit "writer's block" or are just stale, to write. Peroid.

Just write. Bad, good, decent, horrible, no idea, great idea, short story with no promise, potential best selling novel...... whatever. Just write.

Seems like this would turn a person away if it was forced. But then again, at least it's something. I remember King saying he would kind of unearth stories rather that write them. He said he would start with the most mundane of ideas and little by little it would take shape.

Thanks again man.


Well, yes, I do occasionally get stuck on things. Then again, I have ways to break out of this. I'm a contributing writer for Sequential Tart and when I'm stuck on my fiction I generally work on an article for it. As for getting story ideas I get CHARICTERS and build stories around them.

Then I also have another story as back up when I get stuck on the one I'm currently focused on. I'm also part of a zine and that gives me practice for having a deadline and so on and so forth. Plus it's also a way to get constructive critisism, something a lot of writers today need.


I see. Thanks Elf.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:33 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 261

You're quite welcome TH. One thing that writers should learn is characterization. Make your characters believable and likable when they need to be or the sort you either love to hate or just turn your stomach if need be. You can have an AWESOME story fall flat on its face if the characterization is weak. If you have a sucky story but amazing characterization it can be enjoyable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1558
Location: Central Texas

Yeah charecterization is one of my weak areas. I used to just describe what they look like and what not, and not put much effort into their mannerisms, habits, body language, beliefs, vaulues ect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:44 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 261

Texas Horror wrote:
Yeah charecterization is one of my weak areas. I used to just describe what they look like and what not, and not put much effort into their mannerisms, habits, body language, beliefs, vaulues ect.


Those are VERY important fascets to a character. No one wants to read about cookie cutter cardboard people. Just keep reading and see how people write their characters and so on so forth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:28 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 517
Location: Virginia

I got published in an online magizine called LOST SOULS:

http://lostsoulsmag.tripod.com/main/id127.html

Though I will admit I am not happy with this story while still being proud. First time I ever completed a story, but this is a much shorter, curtailed cut. Original was about 30pgs long and had actual exposition. My school was looking for stories for a student lit mag at the end of the year, I kept the action parts and toned down the violence....unfortuantly saving over the original version.

I've written a novella (not published) that I am currently writing a screenplay for.


I find the hardest thing for me is not in characters or in much else....but in actually finding a right way to start something. I have the idea for a comedy in my head, just thinking about how to get it started has had me pegged for some time.

I do agree with Elf on the perssonality bit about characters, even a sentence or two about a supporting character gives them a wee bit of depth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 216
Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

theGoldenSimatar wrote:
I got published in an online magizine called LOST SOULS:

http://lostsoulsmag.tripod.com/main/id127.html

Though I will admit I am not happy with this story while still being proud. First time I ever completed a story, but this is a much shorter, curtailed cut. Original was about 30pgs long and had actual exposition. My school was looking for stories for a student lit mag at the end of the year, I kept the action parts and toned down the violence....unfortuantly saving over the original version.



Just wanted to check: "Lycan" is yours? That's what the link goes to. I wanted to make sure we weren't supposed to read something else on that site. The story's pretty good, whoever wrote it. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 517
Location: Virginia

Lantern Man wrote:
theGoldenSimatar wrote:
I got published in an online magizine called LOST SOULS:

http://lostsoulsmag.tripod.com/main/id127.html

Though I will admit I am not happy with this story while still being proud. First time I ever completed a story, but this is a much shorter, curtailed cut. Original was about 30pgs long and had actual exposition. My school was looking for stories for a student lit mag at the end of the year, I kept the action parts and toned down the violence....unfortuantly saving over the original version.



Just wanted to check: "Lycan" is yours? That's what the link goes to. I wanted to make sure we weren't supposed to read something else on that site. The story's pretty good, whoever wrote it. Very Happy



Yes, that is mine. I saved it under LYCAN before I came up with a title, cheesey I know. Most of my stories are saved under general titles until I think of an actual title. School lit magizine rejected it because it was too violent.

I hope though you caught the references in there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:54 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 216
Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

[quote/]

I hope though you caught the references in there.[/quote]



Well, I understood the military references, if that's what you mean. I was stationed on a Tico-class cruiser, back in the late 80's. It was kinda funny, trying to imagine which berthing area they were in. I figure it would have been the one under the helo hanger, where the "supply" department slept.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Best-cellars

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum