FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> The Fleshtones
Klownzilla
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:06 am  Reply with quote

Anyone like 'em? I'm going to one of their shows next Saturday. I've liked their music ever since I saw I Was a Teenage Zombie and wondered who'd done the theme song. That's the same way I got into The Cramps, although that was with Return of the Living Dead. The lead singer Peter Zaremba has a Lux Interior-ish quality to him.
Klownzilla
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Damn, what a night! I don't get many like these. They come once every blue moon when one of my favorite bands drops in the city. This time, it was The Fleshtones. For 31 years, these guys have been touring nonstop, taking their Super Rock sound all over the world. They're credited as the only band from the punk/new wave era who have never had an inactive year. You'd think something like that would wear 'em down, but it apparently does just the opposite.

After enduring the so-so opening bands, The 'tones made their grand entrance by marching in from the upstairs, taking to the stage. I had heard that their shows were kinetic and wild and it's no lie. The boys were in top form and really drew everyone in with their infectious stage presence. At times, they stomp on down to the main floor, continuing with the performance right with the audience. Zaremba played keyboard on a few songs while guitarist and bassist, Keith and Ken, were kind enough to let two of the guys from the opening acts play on a song.

A lot of the tunes were from their latest album Beachhead and some old favorites included "Nervous Breakdown", "Stop Fooling Around" and "Do You Swing?" They closed with the ever-catchy "Bigger and Better", concluding one incredibly memorable night. I talked to Zaremba one more time to tell him what a great job they did, as a few other people were also doing. His final words before I took off: "Chicago's a great fuckin' city; I've always loved it here."