FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Grind House (2007)
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 2474
Location: September sun, rotted flatbush porch...

pondo sinatra wrote:

E.) The final chase would have lasted five minutes.


I noticed that too when I saw the climax on YouTube - it felt very drawn-out, being twice the length of the opening chase in Mad Max.

Who was it who said earlier in the thread that Death Proof would have worked better as a 20-minute short in an actual anthology film like Creepshow?

thedudeabides wrote:
I think the real reason I wanted the chicks to die was because they didn't like The Who.


Could be worse - they could have dissed BÍC. Shocked
_________________
Mah Mini Citee
I've got a wall inside my head,
It's got to set the soul free!
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 3869
Location: New York

thedudeabides wrote:
I think the real reason I wanted the chicks to die was because they didn't like The Who. Laughing



Reasonable..... Very Happy



I'm in the minority,but I liked Deathproof very much. I don't think I would classify it as Grindhouse cinema. Not my definition of it.


I'm a fan of good dialog in films. Quentetin may be a lot of things, plagiarist, fan-boy, etc. but the man does have a knack for some truly dynamite word speak.

Example: The soliquoly in Kill Bill 2. When Bill rambles on about the myth of Superman.

Brilliant.
_________________
Zombis Nazis gobiernan!



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:23 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 26024
Location: In FarinaMystica's Heart.

Tsotha-lanti wrote:


thedudeabides wrote:
I think the real reason I wanted the chicks to die was because they didn't like The Who.


Could be worse - they could have dissed BÍC. Shocked


Then there would have been blood...much more blood! Laughing
_________________
Damn!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X-Count
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

Death Proof is like the Gigli of exploitation!!!! There I fuckin' said it!
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 2474
Location: September sun, rotted flatbush porch...

Tsotha-lanti wrote:

Who was it who said earlier in the thread that Death Proof would have worked better as a 20-minute short in an actual anthology film like Creepshow?


Now that I recall, it was probably thedudeabides who said this.
_________________
Mah Mini Citee
I've got a wall inside my head,
It's got to set the soul free!
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 769
Location: Nagoya Diamond Cutter: Feel The BANG

X-Count wrote:
Death Proof is like the Gigli of exploitation!!!! There I fuckin' said it!


DEATH PROOF is the Pat Boone of exploitation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:36 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 26024
Location: In FarinaMystica's Heart.

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
Tsotha-lanti wrote:

Who was it who said earlier in the thread that Death Proof would have worked better as a 20-minute short in an actual anthology film like Creepshow?


Now that I recall, it was probably thedudeabides who said this.


Yup, I think it was me, but I think I said it was like a bad episode of Tales from the Darkside. Laughing
_________________
Damn!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 2474
Location: September sun, rotted flatbush porch...

pondo sinatra wrote:
X-Count wrote:
Death Proof is like the Gigli of exploitation!!!! There I fuckin' said it!


DEATH PROOF is the Pat Boone of exploitation.


[Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]
WRONG!
[/Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]

To my knowledge, Pat Boone was a financial success. Razz

thedudeabides wrote:
Yup, I think it was me, but I think I said it was like a bad episode of Tales from the Darkside. Laughing


I am not familiar with that TV series, but I'll take your word for it.
_________________
Mah Mini Citee
I've got a wall inside my head,
It's got to set the soul free!
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
X-Count
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

Tsotha-lanti wrote:
pondo sinatra wrote:
X-Count wrote:
Death Proof is like the Gigli of exploitation!!!! There I fuckin' said it!


DEATH PROOF is the Pat Boone of exploitation.


[Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]
WRONG!
[/Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]

To my knowledge, Pat Boone was a financial success. Razz

thedudeabides wrote:
Yup, I think it was me, but I think I said it was like a bad episode of Tales from the Darkside. Laughing


I am not familiar with that TV series, but I'll take your word for it.


Exactly with the Pat Boone. He ruined the joke. Sad Laughing
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:06 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 26024
Location: In FarinaMystica's Heart.

Tsotha-lanti wrote:


thedudeabides wrote:
Yup, I think it was me, but I think I said it was like a bad episode of Tales from the Darkside. Laughing


I am not familiar with that TV series, but I'll take your word for it.


But in all fairness... for me to compare Death Proof to Tales from the Darkside is a huge injustice to Tales from the Darkside.
_________________
Damn!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

pondo sinatra wrote:
Funny how he leaves "remake" out of a lot of his hype (RESERVOIR DOGS remaking CITY ON FIRE, as another example, and THE VEGA BROS. was going to be a complete plagiarism of Jack Starett's THE GRAVY TRAIN AKA- THE DION BROS.).


Is City on Fire any good? I'd be interested in checking it out.

I also heard that many believe "The Killers" to be a film Tarantino ripped off elements from in Pulp Fiction. Any validity to that claim?
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:45 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 3869
Location: New York

City of fire was ok, no great shakes.

I'm sure Quentin has taken this and that from films he admired in his youth or not-so youth!
_________________
Zombis Nazis gobiernan!



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:55 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 769
Location: Nagoya Diamond Cutter: Feel The BANG

Terminal wrote:


Is City on Fire any good? I'd be interested in checking it out.



I think so. It's a bit dated (read: very 80s). Just don't go in expecting John Woo. It's Ringo Lam, my man, and he's more of the Don Seigel type (gritty themes, lots of interpersonal drama, less stylized action - though Lam's FULL CONTACT kind of is an exception there). If RESERVOIR DOGS was the topping, then this is the heart-and-soul pizza.

Quote:
I also heard that many believe "The Killers" to be a film Tarantino ripped off elements from in Pulp Fiction. Any validity to that claim?


I haven't seen THE KILLERS to really comment on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pondo sinatra
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:59 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 769
Location: Nagoya Diamond Cutter: Feel The BANG

Tsotha-lanti wrote:


[Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]
WRONG!
[/Arnold Schwarzenegger voice]

To my knowledge, Pat Boone was a financial success. Razz


True.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Bone Daddy wrote:
City of fire was ok, no great shakes.

I'm sure Quentin has taken this and that from films he admired in his youth or not-so youth!


Ah. Thanks.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 56 of 57
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> The Shiver Shack

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum