FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Need list of GOOD horror games for the PC.
rogueboy138
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I finally have a pc strong enough to play games on.
A buddy was getting rid of his old one (2 years old) as he just got this 4 grand play pc and was going to toss his old one- but gave it to me! BONUS!
Now.
I was looking for the best horror based PC games out there.
and I have every console known to man. (Yes- Including a Dreamcast AND a Saturn-yeah- I was the guy who bought that)
So any game that was ever released onto a console- I have it.

So if anyone could sterr me in the direction of a decent scary game for the pc- I would be grateful...

I have Missing.
And as far as older games. I still have Postal, Ripper (with Christopher Walken-ROCKS!), Harvest, Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, and used to have the 11th Hour and 7th Guest.
LOVED those.
So you get my taste...

Fire away.

I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Tony
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know PC games that well, but the Ravenholm portion of Half Life 2 is about the scariest part of a game I've ever played (and kicks the shit out of most movies.) About the entire game of the first Half Life is really tense, too.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I think Condemned came out of the PC last year. It was an awsome horror game for the 360. As for others I would suggest:

FEAR
Doom 3
A few of the old Dracula titles
One of the Blair Witch games was good
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
rogueboy138
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:20 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I have Condemned for the 360 and I forgot I do have the box set of Blair Witch with the games itn it.
And i have the Cthulu game for the reg Xbox...

I just picked up Scratches. Sounds kind of interesting. (It is rated Teen - so who knows.. Just a point and click game- but I liek them...
Also have to get rthe sequel to missing...

Keep em coming Smile
Thanks
Tony
brainee
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to recommend Vampire: Bloodlines. It came out a couple of years ago, so your machine should be able to handle it. It was bashed upon release for being buggy (and rightfully so). But most of the bugs have been fixed ... and I think it's a fantastic (and genuinely scary at times) game.

Scratches was ok ... it was a bit short for my taste, but what was there was pretty good.

A game I'd tell you to stay away from is Necronomicon. It's an adventure game (like Phantasmagoria), starts promising, but inane puzzles make it horrible to play.

If you like the old-school adventure games, the Gabriel Knight series is probably right up your alley. Only the last one is somewhat modern (came out in 1999), and you've probably played them, but they're great. Sanitarium is another old-school adventure horror that's not too old (late 90s), and has an unusual and interesting story.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:16 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Finally! Someone else who's played Ripper! That game rocked my ass off when it came out. It was on like 9 CDs, which was mindblowing at the time.

For horror recommendations, check out Clive Barker's Undying, System Shock 1 & 2, Bloodlines is a good recommendation from brainee - deep and involving (if somewhat linear for an RPG). STALKER : Shadow of Chernobyl has some real pant-wetting stuff going on, along with very involving gunfights/action and artifact hunting. Definately recommended if you've got a beefy rig to handle it.

As far as consoles go, make sure you've got the Project Zero series of games for the original Xbox - the scariest franchise ever created for consoles IMO.
meatpuppet
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

if you're interested they releaased Resident Evil 4 recently for the pc.if you haven't played it you might want to check it out.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Gabriel Knight series.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The THING game for PC fucking ROCKED.

Also Alien Vs Predator 2 on PC is also a fantastic game. The first level when you're a marine is some of the most intense game play imaginable.