FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Damn good coffee! The Twin Peaks thread
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

It was 1990, and for the first time I found myself spellbound by a television show. David Lynch's TWIN PEAKS hit the airwaves, and nothing has been the same since. A sly parody of detective stories and primetime soap operas with a healthy dose of horror and magical realism, this was a show like no other. It's still one of the most sumptuously atmospheric shows to ever air, with a visual and aural style that have never been repeated or approximated.

Were it not for TWIN PEAKS and the boundaries it pushed, genre television would be entirely different today (there'd have been no X-FILES, for example). The murder and subsequent discovery of the sordid double life of Laura Palmer was a powerful catalyst for this show that defied easy explanation. The eventual outing of Killer Bob, the battle with Windom Earle, the plunge into the nightmarish Black Lodge -- like nothing else seen on the airwaves before or since. And even though it unraveled a bt there in the end, it still continued to push the limits of the medium, offering one of the most bizarre and horrifying series finales imaginable.

Paramount is finally releasing the entire series (including the two-hour pilot) this year.

Show some love for this groundbreaking show. Testify!
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Still the greatest television show of all time and still the most agonizing unresolved ending ever. I keep wishing they'd wrap it up in other mediums, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I once had dinner with Ray Wise up in Montreal a few years back. Hearing him talk about his character and the behind-the-scenes stories was one of life's great little moments.

The wait for the full series has been unbearable. So glad we'll FINALLY be able to see it.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I worked with Ray on DEAD END and talked to him about it (as well as SWAMP THING) quite a bit. He's very open in admitting that Leland Palmer was the role of his lifetime.

And you see, I think the ending of the show is sheer brilliance and don't ever want to see it resolved. However, years ago, Mark Frost did spill that the idea for Season 3 was to have it take place YEARS later, where we would discover what happened to (a now perfectly fine) Cooper in flashbacks throughout the season. Oh, and if you ever get the chance, check out Frost's novel, THE LIST OF 7 -- it's a Sherlock Holmes-ian mystery with Arthur Conan Doyle as the lead character, and it's filled with supernatural goings-on as well as some references to the mysticism in TWIN PEAKS.

Good stuff.

Last edited by Messiahman on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

God bless YouTube. Here's the old Twin Peaks SNL sketch with Kyle MacLachlan.

'The List of 7' is one of my favorite novels.

I wish Mark Frost were more active. He's an incredible writer and was every bit as instrumental to that show as Lynch.

Don't get me wrong: 'Fire Walk With Me' is its own little masterpiece, but I think it would've been better had Frost been involved. I'm slightly miffed at how Lynch pulled rank and forced the prequel route, when everyone else wanted to finish the story.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:28 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I would also like to add that Audrey is the hottest ball of sex to ever grace the small screen.

Thank you.
lovecraftsmachine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:36 am  Reply with quote

can't wait for the full series to come out. When it was originally on I had to work the night of the finale so i taped it. Imagine my horror when the tape ran out right after Ben got his head rammed into the fireplace. To this day I have not seen the end of the show. Any idea when it will be released.

"Help me jesus, help me jewish god, help me Tom Cruise"-Ricky Bobby
Samhain
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:11 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Sirand wrote:
Still the greatest television show of all time and still the most agonizing unresolved ending ever. I keep wishing they'd wrap it up in other mediums, but I doubt it will ever happen.

PERFECTLY stated.

I own season 2 on DVD-R and can't WAIT for the official release.
dez
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

My favorite television show. Looking forward to having nice new shiny dvds of every episode!
Devilscanyon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:51 pm  Reply with quote
PalumbOWNED

Great tv show! Killer Bob was bad enough, but when it was revealed he possessed leland to kill Laura that was insane!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:

'The List of 7' is one of my favorite novels.

I wish Mark Frost were more active. He's an incredible writer and was every bit as instrumental to that show as Lynch.

Don't get me wrong: 'Fire Walk With Me' is its own little masterpiece, but I think it would've been better had Frost been involved. I'm slightly miffed at how Lynch pulled rank and forced the prequel route, when everyone else wanted to finish the story.

But that is the very essence of David Lynch. He continually confounds expectations. I know that he was cackling gleefully when that finale aired. And so was I.

Incidentally, no one on staff was pulling for a direct sequel. Bob Engels himself has stated that they ALWAYS intended to do a prequel (which makes sense, given that any sequel would have to occur twenty years later).
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I will say that the "20 Years Later" coda with the angel bursting into the Black Lodge was genius, and provided nice subtle capper to the whole thing.

Still...all those Season Three ideas would've been great to see.

Oh, and where the fuck are those "FWWM" deleted scenes, dammit?!?!
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Oh, and where the fuck are those "FWWM" deleted scenes, dammit?!?!

Forever locked away in European legalities.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I adored everything about Twin Peaks. Hearing that finally we're getting the entire series on DVD is like Christmas in July!
Soonertoad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
I adored everything about Twin Peaks. Hearing that finally we're getting the entire series on DVD is like Christmas in July!

Make sure you are getting the pilot . I bought the first season and found out the pilot did not come with the set. I had to wait a week, so I could get the first episode and watch it in order.
Samhain
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:05 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Sirand wrote:

Oh shit! I remember this! Funny as all hell. Laughing