FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> BUFFY - Season 8
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am  Reply with quote

I figured that even though it's not technically a television show anymore, this topic still belongs here.

So who else raced out last week to pick up the first issue of Joss Whedon's official comic book continuation of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER? Me, I thought it was one hell of a kickoff and picked up perfectly after the series. The comic medium has given Whedon the ability to enhance the scope of Buffy to truly epic proportions -- this is what the hundred million dollar version would look like.

SPOILERS ABOUND

There's so much to love here, including the opening aerial assault led by Buffy and her squadron of Slayerettes. Love the reference to ANGEL, where we discover that the girl Angel and Spike saw partying with The Immortal in Rome during "The Girl in Question" wasn't actually Buffy at all, but one of several doubles planted around the world in order to keep our favorite slayer's whereabouts a secret.

Nice to see Xander taking the Nick Fury role (which Whedon specifically references) at HQ, barking out orders to various cadres -- and the fact that the U.S. military views Buffy and her troops as terrorist cells is an excellent touch.

But the BIGGEST surprise has to be Dawn, whose fling with something called a "thricewise" resulted in her literal transformation into a fifty-foot tall giant. And she and Buffy STILL can't get along. Good character work there. As usual, the story's core belongs to layered characterization and provocative themes.

Also loved the shock ending which saw old favorite (and former rat) Amy having survived the Sunnydale blast by cannibalizing the town's other survivors. And I'm very curious to learn who her "boyfriend" will turn out to be -- could we see a return of Preacher Caleb?

All in all, this is shaping up to be a ripping good yarn. We'll be seeing issues written by many former show writers, as well as some of the comic world's best and brightest.

Can't wait for the next issue. It's great to have this show back...in any form. Thanks, Dark Horse!
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't race out to get it....because there's no place that sells comics in this town.

I wonder if places like Borders or B & N would carry it - I'll probably be hitting one of them later this month.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

My shop was sold out of their first shipment when I tried to get a copy late last week. They're supposed to get some more in today.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Aaron2010 wrote:
Not my cup of tea. I'm glad for all the fans of Buffy, though. I know they were all crushed when the show ended.

The preview art (for the cover) was fantastic. But, in general, I'm only a casual "Buffy" fan, watching an episode here and there. (The best episode I ever saw was "Hush.")

As for Angel, I liked it better when it was called Forever Knight.
HORRORCHILDX
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:06 am  Reply with quote

i didnt read the regular series that dark horse ran while the series was still on tv. i kind of lost interest after the first half of the 4th season. but watched it through the 6th season when things got somewhat exciting again but the 7th held no interest for me. i read the first issue of this series just to see where things are at but unless the next few do something for me i wont be following this either.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:59 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Well, no surprise I'm in love with the comic as much as I loved Buffy.... Laughing

Lucky for me, my husband works at a book store so I always get them the day they come out. So far, I'm totally into it... although I hate that it's so short it only takes me a little bit to read it and then I have to wait! I'm not a patient person. Mr. Green

So, anyone else want to speculate on who kissed Buffy???? 'Cause this is what is killing me at the mo'. Laughing

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a penny pincher and I also hate waiting for new issues (I like to read stuff like this in one fell swoop) thus I'll wait for this to come out as a compiled graphic novel, much like Whedon did with Fray a few years back.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not even a "Buffy" fan and I've been reading with great interest.

Good series.

I'm not well versed in the Buffy show, does anyone know who the meaty man was?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elf
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:33 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
I'm not even a "Buffy" fan and I've been reading with great interest.

Good series.

I'm not well versed in the Buffy show, does anyone know who the meaty man was?

That would be Warren, part of the geek Trokia of season Six. Willow's the cause of his meaty condition. Warren has no magical powers, he was a tech wizard.

He's also the one responsible for building the Buffy bot for Spike.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:32 am  Reply with quote

I've been enjoying this as well...But what surprised me more was how much more I'm enjoying Whedon's run with Runaways...
lostphrack
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the series so far, quite a bit actually. It's just really fun to see these characters again, especially to see them being written by Whedon again, gives it a nice snappy feel to it that's more in line with the show than previous series or stories.

I'm on the fence about sticking with the series once Whedon leaves. I guess I'll see what happen when the time comes though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Horror Chic wrote:

So, anyone else want to speculate on who kissed Buffy???? 'Cause this is what is killing me at the mo'. Laughing

I'm gonna say Willow....or maybe that was just a dream I had Twisted Evil
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

BlackFlagg wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:

I'm rooting for it being Xander, since they bordered on it in Season 7. Now that closure with Anya has been taken care of, no one should have a problem with it.

Mistress
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Horror Chic wrote:
BlackFlagg wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:

I'm rooting for it being Xander, since they bordered on it in Season 7. Now that closure with Anya has been taken care of, no one should have a problem with it.

I suspect Xander. There was the whole dream in the second issue where they kiss and his head falls off "again". Laughing
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mistress wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:
BlackFlagg wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:

I suspect Xander. There was the whole dream in the second issue where they kiss and his head falls off "again". Laughing

Yeah... and I'm not 100% positive, because I didn't inspect it... but I think he's in a different position from one panel to the next. Though, without really double checking, it could be wishful thinking. Laughing