FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> EDIT: Werewolf Book ? - The Wereling
Psypest
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Trying to remeber the name of a book I read part of. I thought it was named 'METAMORPHOSIS' but have had no luck searching with that title. I do know it was published before 1985 and remember the story being contemporary and set in Florida. The main character is a young guy possessed by some sort of spirit and while there is no physical transformation, the guy starts wearing a werewolf get-up when he goes out on his hunts.

Not a whole lot to go on, but maybe this rings a bell with someone?

--UPDATE--

Probably pointless to update this after so long, but what the hey.

The book in question is The Wereling by David Robbins and is set in Ocean City, New Jersey, and not Florida like I'd thought.

Harvey, a young loner, enjoys little more than night-time wanderings through the sea-side dunes near his home. What he doesn't enjoy is the presence of others and so he begins a campaign to drive these interlopers away. To this end, he dons a realistic werewolf costume and quickly escalates from scares to slaughter as the influence of a wolf spirit takes hold.

The Wereling is a neat story in that the spirit is real, but whether Harvey has been possessed form birth or whether disenchantment makes him susceptible is left unstated. His transformation is psychological rather than physical, and with each kill, Harvey recedes more an more as the wolf spirit becomes dominant.

Overall this is an interesting book and worth searching out.
Psypest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Updated