FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Rated Ex -> "Cannibal Holocaust" thoughts...
Texas Horror
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:24 am  Reply with quote

Well, I just watched it. And I liked it. It affected me. Which is a nice change of pace.

2/3's of the way in, I was afraid that the animal deaths were going to over ride everything else. I mean, I knew that there were graphic animal mutilations in the movie, but the turtle scene was, well... indeed graphic. Confused

But after completing the viewing, the animal scenes faded... a bit.

The deaths of the fim crew were satisfyingly graphic, as well as brutal.

However, unfortunatly the animal deaths still play a HUGE part of my memory of the flick. Which, in my opinion is unfortunate. I could understand (and I use that term VERY loosely) one, maybe two (and two would be pushing it), animal deaths. But it seemed as if that was intended to be the "money shot" of the whole movie.

I'm glad I bought it. Very glad. But I can see why alot of people who own it say they don't watch it much. Which is more than I can say for most of, if not all of the movies I own. And for that reason I can truely say I found (with alot of help from the members here) a gem.

A gem with turtle blood and monkey brains on it. In a good way though.

Very Happy
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:09 am  Reply with quote

I bought it on DVD and watched it probably a year ago.
I sold the DVD, it's nothing I ever need to see again.
I was surprised at how much brutal rape is in it.
That said, I was genuinely frightened of the natives. They really seemed as if they could group together and attack at any time.
I'm surprised they put up with the bullshit of the 3 film makers for as long as they did.
I also thought the main lead character guy (the good guy) was going to get ambushed at several points in the movie, but it never happened.
The animal deaths were so unnecessary. Even in the DVD commentary, the lead actor gives the director shit for the animal deaths.
The cinematography and locations were just gorgeous. I was floored at how clean, crisp, and beautiful the print looked on the DVD. I never expected that.
I also wasn't expecting to see the same kind of story device used in The Blair Witch Project. With the film footage being found, what happened to the 3 characters, etc.
I kinda wish I hadn't sold this. There is an 'animal cruelty' free viewing of the movie on the DVD. And truth told, the animal stuff bothered me more than the simulated rapes and killings.
This movie was way better than I expected.
But it's not something I would pull out every few months to watch again.
I think once is enough.
veins_of_jenna
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:36 am  Reply with quote

needs more blood
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 am  Reply with quote

I love the concept and the message but I'll never watch it again...
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:24 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I agree, it's a "classic" but it's possibly due more to the controversy it brings to the table.

I also don't like the animal killings at all.

And I love Italian cannibal (and zombie) movies, but I find myself fast forwarding through all the animal slaughter.

It's a bit of a choppy way to enjoy a movie, but I'm into simulated horror in my movies, not real useless animal cruelty.
Nekromantik
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Yep I agree. Ive seen it on DVDR a few years back and one viewing was enough. I am tempted to get the Grindhouse dvd but as I dont like I will want to watch it again there is no point in buying it. The animal deaths esp the turtle is the only part of any movie that I have ever fast forwarded. I can handle anythin else exp that. Plus it dont help that im a vegiterian lol.

The remake is going to be intresting to see how it turns out esp without the animal deaths which wont make it shocking as everyone knows the animals were the main reason for the controversy of CH.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

remake? seriously?
What studio would touch this?
What more can really be done with it?
Nekromantik
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:45 am  Reply with quote

Yup it has been confirmed but there is no details on what studio is doing it yet.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:47 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The turtle death was squirm inducing, but that muskrat killing didn't affect me at all. Especially since it was eaten. The turtle, eaten or not, was difficult. I like turtles.

A bit hypocritical I know, but at least I'm copping to it.

Then again, working a farm with livestock for 5 years can jade you a little against the death of a rodent. And hip you to the lifespan of a creature in the wild.

*You havent seen anything til you've seen a mountain lion clear a 7 foot frnce while holding a full grown sheep in its maw. It's like real life werewolf shit man, and verrrrrry scary, even viewed from a hunters perch.*
X-Count
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
The turtle death was squirm inducing, but that muskrat killing didn't affect me at all. Especially since it was eaten. The turtle, eaten or not, was difficult. I like turtles.

YOU JUST HAD TO MENTION THE TURTLE!!!! Annoyed Just kidding. But you did make me have flashbacks to that scene. .....Only thing that disturbed me in the movie was that particular scene, the turtle scene. I can't look, see or think of turtles without having a flashback to that anymore.
Nekromantik
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto lol
Borgosi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

Other than one of you I have to ask if you eat meat. Most of the big meat farms treat animals alot worse than what was done in this movie and it's done for all their lives, not just when they are killed.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I've always loved this movie since I first saw a dodgy VHS copy. I now own the Ltd Edition DVD and watch it every now and then.

Even the animal cruelty doesn't get to me. I can sit and watch it while having dinner, and have done a few times. It's a nice test of a movie to throw on at a party with people when you don't know just how they'll react, along with the Guinea Pig movies (I have the German Box Set).

A great piece of filmmaking made all the more essential by the endless controversy surrounding it.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:56 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I once had an all night horror movie marathon with a house full of people.

When I wanted them to leave, I put on a tape of Cannibal Holocaust.

Not a one stayed. Mr. Green
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Borgosi wrote:
Other than one of you I have to ask if you eat meat. Most of the big meat farms treat animals alot worse than what was done in this movie and it's done for all their lives, not just when they are killed.

Moot. Being omnivorous does not in anyway conflict with a justified disgust with the animal slaughters in this film. Animals in slaughterhouses are killed for food. Animals in this film are killed for sensationlist entertainment. Therein lies the difference.

No animal should be slaughtered, or tortured, for the purpose of sensationlist entertainment.

That said, this film's a classic. What they did with the animals sucks. However, it's not going to ruin my enjoyment of the entire film. Confused Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D