FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The 'Buffy' and 'Angel' Thread
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:16 am  Reply with quote

on another note, Darla's cleavage should've had it's own spot in the opening credits...

Drool Drool Drool You are a God! Drool Drool Drool
Amaya
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:48 am  Reply with quote

ROFL

it's amazing what a good corset can do
killswitch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Azathoth wrote:
killswitch wrote:
I just wish the show hadn't become unwatchably bad after season 3.

Unwatchably bad? Season 5 was one of its best, and I didn't think season 4 was that bad though a lot of people seem to hate it.

Buffy became the most annoying character in the show, they basically wrote out Xander and the Spike (ugh) got all the lines.

BADBADBAD
KittenSlayer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

I brought the entire Buffy box set last month and that is all i've been watching pretty much ever since Laughing
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:09 am  Reply with quote

killswitch wrote:
Azathoth wrote:
killswitch wrote:

Unwatchably bad? Season 5 was one of its best, and I didn't think season 4 was that bad though a lot of people seem to hate it.

Buffy became the most annoying character in the show, they basically wrote out Xander and the Spike (ugh) got all the lines.

BADBADBAD

WRONGWRONGWRONG
killswitch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I don't see how they thought it was a good idea to make the main character an insufferable bitch and try to rehash the Buffy/Angel storyline with Spike. Having a girl date the person who tried to rape her is an interesting message to be sending to teenage girls who watch it.
Taylor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:12 am  Reply with quote

I bought the 'Chosen Collection' for just under $300 CDN this past Christmas. I didn't watch this show until around the 5th season when it was on TV, but a channel here in Canada called 'Razer' has been airing the whole series, one episode a day, since last July. I watched the whole series, and then bought the collection. Best show in the history of television.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Yum. Darla cleavage.

killswitch wrote:
I don't see how they thought it was a good idea to make the main character an insufferable bitch and try to rehash the Buffy/Angel storyline with Spike. Having a girl date the person who tried to rape her is an interesting message to be sending to teenage girls who watch it.

There's far more depth to it than that.

Buffy's darker mood came from her inability to cope with life after being cruelly yanked from the hereafter (that's the beauty of the series - nothing happens without severe consequences). She became attracted to Spike because he was the only person in her world who had the same trouble fitting in. In fact, I found that her relationship with him was much more layered than the tryst with Angel which consisted only of:

Angel: I brood.
Buffy: I'm a confused teen. You're attractive!
Angel: Then let's fall in love!

As for the contoversial attempted rape, I think it's pretty obvious that part of Buffy WANTED to be raped. She's much stronger than Spike, and could've easily taken him anytime she wanted, yet she continued to play up the submissive part in that scene. It fit in line with her confused nature and the twisted relationship they had.

Did I mention how much I love this show?
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 am  Reply with quote

killswitch wrote:

For this show I'm on the fence.

I really like it, and watch it in syndication when I'm bored, but I don't consider it the greatest show ever made. It had its sporadic moments of greatness, followed by mediocrity in-between.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elf
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 am  Reply with quote

The Buffy/Spike story line was more a metaphore for BSDM. While Angel and Buffy were opposites of each other. He of darkness, she of light, yet their paths intertwine.

Buffy and Angel had more of the melodramatic, Starcrossed, Romeo and Juilet vibe to it, while Spike and Buffy were more like a dark, bondagy, master and submissive type relationship.

I liked both romances, but . . . the romantic part of me liked the innocence of Buffy and Angel's love, which mirrored the innocence of first love.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:06 am  Reply with quote

killswitch wrote:

Actually watching the show goes a long way to having a convincing argument...Maybe you did, and just jumbled the storyline, but not only was the Buffy and Spike relationship the complete opposite of the Buffy/Angel one, Buffy didn't date Spike after the attempted rape...
Amaya
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:07 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Yum. Darla cleavage.

killswitch wrote:

There's far more depth to it than that.

Buffy's darker mood came from her inability to cope with life after being cruelly yanked from the hereafter (that's the beauty of the series - nothing happens without severe consequences). She became attracted to Spike because he was the only person in her world who had the same trouble fitting in. In fact, I found that her relationship with him was much more layered than the tryst with Angel which consisted only of:

Angel: I brood.
Buffy: I'm a confused teen. You're attractive!
Angel: Then let's fall in love!

As for the contoversial attempted rape, I think it's pretty obvious that part of Buffy WANTED to be raped. She's much stronger than Spike, and could've easily taken him anytime she wanted, yet she continued to play up the submissive part in that scene. It fit in line with her confused nature and the twisted relationship they had.

Did I mention how much I love this show?

Sirand.. i don't think anyone could have put it a better way.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
killswitch wrote:

Me too...Oh wait...It didn't. Wishes do come true!

You're right. That didn't happen until Season 6. Mr. Green

I watched it from the beginning as well, and I stand resolutely on the assertion that the show truly ended with the Season 5 finale. Nothing after that was nearly as interesting to me (the whole Willow magic/crack addiction was particularly hamhanded and awful) Whereas ANGEL only got better in its final seasons and featured a ending that blew the BUFFY finale away.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
killswitch wrote:

I watched it from the beginning as well, and I stand resolutely on the assertion that the show truly ended with the Season 5 finale. Nothing after that was nearly as interesting to me. Whereas ANGEL only got better in its final seasons and featured a ending that blew the BUFFY finale away.

Agree there. That Angel finale was boss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
killswitch wrote:

I watched it from the beginning as well, and I stand resolutely on the assertion that the show truly ended with the Season 5 finale. Nothing after that was nearly as interesting to me. Whereas ANGEL only got better in its final seasons and featured a ending that blew the BUFFY finale away.

Agree there. That Angel finale was boss.

See! We DO agree on a few things. Very Happy