FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> Looking for some advice
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Okay so I made some puppets that are going to show up in this movie Poultrygeist by Troma. Some friends of mine are in a group that collects and sometimes makes props for sci-fi movies and they are putting together a display for an upcoming convention here in Minneapolis. They asked if I could contribute some puppet stuff. I suggested that I put together a display and some techniques about making a low budget monster puppet (to somewhat counter the slick and polished million dollar stuff you see on the 'how we did it' special features on your average dvd).

Since I would be using the original molds we made I figured better get the producers okay. He's a great guy and we've stayed in touch since the movie was made. He said that would be fine. I mentioned I wouldn't be selling anything to avoid rights problems. He emailed and said go ahead, sell whatever you would like.

So here's my question, mainly to people who may have sold stuff on ebay or buy stuff regularly. What should I charge for something like this do you think? What would you pay? It would be a reproduction from the original mold. Here's some photos...(the back of the puppet looks odd since we hadn't sealed it yet and the mechanism is exposed and added the motly feathers and rotted flesh effects)

Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Wow, that is tough. The first thing I would do would be to do an Ebay search to see if there is anything remotely similar that has sold recently.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:09 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Has that movie even come out yet? How popular is it? Cuz you know as well as I do, the price of the object relies solely on the demand.

Then again, that's a pretty mean looking puppet. Some people might score one film unseen, just to decorate their homes. Who knows? Collectors are weird fucking people.

I'd do what Cthulhu said... then factor in the cost it takes to make one of those, add shipping to that, then decide exactly how much extra I want to make off of my customers (how much I'd feel comfortable ripping that off).

Then again, I'm fundamentally opposed to all forms of commerce. If it came down to it, I'd set the price unreasonably high, so any sucker dumb enough to buy what I was selling would, by virtue of being a sucker, deserve to be ripped off, in the first place. Then, I'd feel bad about it and blow that dirty money as quickly and in as retarded a manner as I could.

I hope that was of some help.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 am  Reply with quote

Well, that's about the size of it for me to Malachi. I tend to never place much a value on my stuff just cause I never feel very satisfied with it. This just seems like a somewhat unique opportunity, being allowed to sell to something that has a connection to what could be possibly be a cult film. I wouldn't sell it otherwise. Say what you will about Troma but they always played right by me. The film is due out in March-whether that happens or not I don't know. I'll cast a few molds this month and see what happens at this con and take it from there.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:42 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Good plan. Hope you make some dough through this. It's always good when there are fruits, other than simple personal satisfaction, to one's labors.

Tell us when Poultrygeist actually gets released, too. I wanna see that little sucker in action, asap.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:51 am  Reply with quote

You know what this guy does? I heard about it! It was supposed to come out of a toilet and attack a guy but that changed. This guy in the photos (Maynard I call him)..well the production diary that Deemer posted says "So the bottom line is the puppet fucks the guy in the ass?" Apparently during a zombie chicken attack. Another puppet I made is a chicken breast that opens up to rows of shark teeth and bites a guys nose off and rips out his throat.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:07 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Yeah, I've gotta see that shit. That's what I've always loved about Troma... they just don't give a fuck. No pretense. Just pure fucking lunacy.