FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Dread Central Cinema -> WATCH THREAD: 1/12/07 - The Thing and The Stuff
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Gory wrote:
An alternative ending was originally shot showing MacReady rescued and a blood test proving he was human but it was done as a precaution and never used even for test screening and not part of John Carpenter's original vision for the film.

And I'm not complaining at all, I think this ending is absolutely perfect. It'd be neat to see that on a dvd though (if it isn't already, I've just got a VHS of this Shocked )
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:53 am  Reply with quote

It's over!
~IC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:54 am  Reply with quote

That was fun
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

This film came out around the same time as another Universal film about an alien - ET. The public didn't want to go from a friendly alien to a scary one so the film was not successful on its initial release but has since gone on to be a huge hit on video. It was also panned by critics but is now considered one of the best horror films made in the 80's and one of the best remakes ever made by many critics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I wish I could have made this whole thing, I had to take my roommate to the emergency room during the first half of the movie because of his dumbness.
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote

PowerLeech wrote:
Gory wrote:
An alternative ending was originally shot showing MacReady rescued and a blood test proving he was human but it was done as a precaution and never used even for test screening and not part of John Carpenter's original vision for the film.

And I'm not complaining at all, I think this ending is absolutely perfect. It'd be neat to see that on a dvd though (if it isn't already, I've just got a VHS of this Shocked )
I question this bit of trivia as I'm not sure whether this was ever shot. I got it from IMDb which we all know is accurate. Confused

I love this ending too. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:57 am  Reply with quote

Gory wrote:
This film came out around the same time as another Universal film about an alien - ET. The public didn't want to go from a friendly alien to a scary one so the film was not successful on its initial release but has since gone on to be a huge hit on video. It was also panned by critics but is now considered one of the best horror films made in the 80's and one of the best remakes ever made by many critics.

this is a great flick to source when people bitch about remakes. I mean when they're done right and you get something like this Mr. Green
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:57 am  Reply with quote

PowerLeech wrote:
I wish I could have made this whole thing, I had to take my roommate to the emergency room during the first half of the movie because of his dumbness.
His health is maybe third in line to movie night. Maybe.
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:58 am  Reply with quote

PowerLeech wrote:

was it a beer bong or a home improvement gone awry?
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:58 am  Reply with quote

pooflingerus wrote:
Gory wrote:

this is a great flick to source when people bitch about remakes. I mean when they're done right and you get something like this Mr. Green
I agree. I sometimes need to catch myself too as this and Cronenberg's The Fly are among my favorite films so I can't bitch about remakes too much. Embarassed
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:59 am  Reply with quote

so does anyone want to continue along with The Stuff?
~IC

Gory wrote:

Critics and the general public suck.
LivingDeadPunk

Woohoo! Love that movie.

I got a chicken salad and a pepperoni sandwich, Gory.

So, anyone watching The Stuff?
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

pooflingerus wrote:
so does anyone want to continue along with The Stuff?
I'd love to but I actually have work I need to finish up. Though I do love Larry Cohen. If you guys don't watch it then we should definitely keep it on the back burner for another time because I'm a big fan of his. Mr. Green
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:01 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Woohoo! Love that movie.

I got a chicken salad and a pepperoni sandwich, Gory.

So, anyone watching The Stuff?

I guess I owe it as the host so should we take a few mins to smoke or whizz?