FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> 'Hannibal Rising'
Samhain
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:38 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Well, I've heard NOTHING good about this book (which, obviously, doesn't bode well for the upcoming film version).

To me, 'Red Dragon' and 'The Silence Of The Lambs' are near-perfect suspense novels, and while 'Hannibal' has MANY flaws (including that ending!), it still has it's enjoyable moments and is a decent read.

Has anybody read, or is currently reading 'Hannibal Rising'? How 'bout a quick review?
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Just recently heard of it. Will probably pick it up after Xmas-utilizing the many book store gifts card I will be getting!

Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I've heard it was better than Hannibal.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Samhain wrote:
'Hannibal' has MANY flaws (including that ending!)

One of the all-time great endings IMO. I'm sure you enjoy the awful movie version.
jadecrowe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

got two copies of it for Christmas, actually. Laughing
Better than "Hannibal", not as good as "Red Dragon" or "Silence of the Lambs", at least in my opinion. Which is not to say that it sucks. It's an okay book. It definitely gives you a good idea of why Hannibal turned out like he did.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

jadecrowe wrote:
It definitely gives you a good idea of why Hannibal turned out like he did.

But why should I be interested in that? I liked him better when he was a mysterious, almost supernatural villain. Now he's gonna be just another lame serial killer with a childhood trauma. You know which part of HANNIBAL I hated? That flashback to his childhood and what the soldiers did with his sister. So why should I now go and pay money for a whole book of that?

It's been said that the excess and ending of HANNIBAL was Harris' big fuck you to Hollywood and to the fans who kept demanding more Hannibal books. I wonder what happened then... Does Lorenzo di Bonaventura have photos of Harris fucking toddlers or something?
jadecrowe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Caterpillar wrote:
I wonder what happened then... Does Lorenzo di Bonaventura have photos of Harris fucking toddlers or something?

probably the promise of a paycheck didn't hurt either.

i wouldn't say the whole book is a flashback to what happened to his sister...and even before it happened i don't think he was exactly the picture of mental health Laughing
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The review is HERE.
Samhain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Lord Cthulhu wrote:
The review is HERE.

Thanks babe. Pucker up!
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 am  Reply with quote

I loved the parts in Hannibal delving deep into his past. And I don't think it makes him another killer with a sob story. If anything, it makes him more complex. What makes Hannibal unique (to me at least) is his twisted morals. The fact that he was born from a horrific tragedy doesn't change that. I've always considered Hannibal to be more a dark antihero than a villain.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Caterpillar wrote:
Its been said that the excess and ending of HANNIBAL was Harris' big fuck you to Hollywood and to the fans who kept demanding more Hannibal books. I wonder what happened then... Does Lorenzo di Bonaventura have photos of Harris fucking toddlers or something?

I don't think that all. To me it just seemed that Harris as he began to write more about his character he began to identify with him more. After writing three books, Harris feeling sympathetic towards his creation doesn't surprise me. The ending of Hannibal was a perfect ending to the series with nearly everything wrapped up. (I would have liked to see more of Will Graham but I wasn't holding my breath)
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mephistopheles wrote:
I loved the parts in Hannibal delving deep into his past. And I don't think it makes him another killer with a sob story. If anything, it makes him more complex. What makes Hannibal unique (to me at least) is his twisted morals. The fact that he was born from a horrific tragedy doesn't change that. I've always considered Hannibal to be more a dark antihero than a villain.

Good for you. I like him better as a unknown force of nature, a killer in the reeds, a true monster. I do not want to sympathize or empathize with his motivations. Rather I think he is far more compelling when we get glimpses into why HE FEELS he must do something, not hve it SPELLED OUT for us like we are dolts.

Plus Hannibal tooling around on a motorcycle completeing vengeful acts of derring do is a bit too cliche for me. He went from monster to action hero. MEH and BLECH!
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hannibal was never "a force of nature" or a "true monster" to me, even in Red Dragon. He always had a reason for what he did. In all the books there was a character who was far more destructive than Hannibal that acted on impulses...Dolarhyde, Gumb and Verger. Obviously his actions are morally reprehensible but he has never been some killer who inflicts pain on innocents because he gets off on it.

I mean, having a prequel with Otis from Devil's Rejects as a young vigilante fighting back at those killed his family would be off kilter as he was seen as a pure psychopath. But Hannibal, I have no problem with.

BTW, I haven't read Hannibal Rising yet so please no spoilers if you have read it.
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mephistopheles wrote:
Hannibal was never "a force of nature" or a "true monster" to me, even in Red Dragon. He always had a reason for what he did. In all the books there was a character who was far more destructive than Hannibal that acted on impulses...Dolarhyde, Gumb and Verger. Obviously his actions are morally reprehensible but he has never been some killer who inflicts pain on innocents because he gets off on it.

I mean, having a prequel with Otis from Devil's Rejects as a young vigilante fighting back at those killed his family would be off kilter as he was seen as a pure psychopath. But Hannibal, I have no problem with.

BTW, I haven't read Hannibal Rising yet so please no spoilers if you have read it.

Too bad. I think that the crocodile is far more interesting when we only see those empty black eyes, and do not know the reptilian motivation behind it. Lecter is like that. Sure there is a rhyme or reason, but it has never been so spelled out for us. This book insults Lecter fans with its answers. The only saving grace is Harris's prose, but at times it gets to be a bit self indulgent.

Otis needs no explanation, his surrounds him each and everyminute.. it is his family, and once we see them, we know the whole backstory.. he was raised fucked up. Lecter is a different creature. His actions give us the understanding that he comes from a different sort of world, one that is effete and rich, and somehow he got twisted up. The story here is way too banal to live up to any sort of anticipated expanation.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

It insults Lecter fans? That's funny. I'm a Lecter fan, and I'm not insulted. Nor do the majority of Lecter fans I've come in contact with.

And I don't know why you're so shocked that Harris would delve into a villain's backstory when he has done it before in his canon...a large chunk of Red Dragon dealt with how Francis Dolarhyde became fucked up due to long time abuse and isolation. He also explored Buffalo Bill's past in Silence of the Lambs, although to a far lesser extent. Hannibal has been around for 26 years ago. I'm glad that Harris is trying something different with his character rather than using up the old formula.