FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Comics
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:34 am  Reply with quote

So am I completely out of the loop that I hadn't heard of these before? Evidently, Marvel has made Guilty Pleasures into a series of comic books.

Here's a few pics. Anyone who knows me knows my total loathing of comic books but I think I'm going to have to get these anyway.

I know there are other Anita lovers here - what do you think?
Spookshow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Those Anita books got shitty real quick. Now they're basically just about her getting fucked anyway she can get it.
Elf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

I've picked up the first two issues of the comic. The first twelve issues is an adaptation of "Guilty Pleasures" and so far it's been spot on. There's been a few things cut that one really doesn't need, not to mention foul language. However, the dialogue is still spot on and keeping with Anita's snark.

Not to mention the artwork's pretty good.
Spookshow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Foul language is what life's all about.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I thought these books were primarily marketed towards women, so I'm suprised that they made this into comic books, since women are not comics' main buyers.
Cinestress
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Anita Blake novels are scum. Scum, I tell you. I read Guilty Pleasures just to see what the novels were like because I had some serious Vampire cravings... needless to say, I was not satisfied. Not satisfied at all.

Girly vampire novels make me cringe.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote

thedudeabides wrote:
I thought these books were primarily marketed towards women, so I'm suprised that they made this into comic books, since women are not comics' main buyers.

It's part of Marvel's response to the proof, courtesy of manga, that women will buy comics that interest them and part of their attempt to lure in fresh blood to the fan pool. The Steven King Dark Tower comic and getting Tamora Pearce to write White Tiger are two other similar attempts.

Anywho, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up this series myself. I've read the first three Anita Blake novels and thought they were pretty fun with some weird/creepy moments. I've been hesitant to try any of the later novels in the series since I keep hearing how they've become supernatural smut. Still, I'm kind of curious about them, and I kind of like Brett Booth who's penciling the comic soooo.. yeah, been on the fence about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Elf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:18 am  Reply with quote

lostphrack wrote:
thedudeabides wrote:

It's part of Marvel's response to the proof, courtesy of manga, that women will buy comics that interest them and part of their attempt to lure in fresh blood to the fan pool. The Steven King Dark Tower comic and getting Tamora Pearce to write White Tiger are two other similar attempts.

Anywho, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up this series myself. I've read the first three Anita Blake novels and thought they were pretty fun with some weird/creepy moments. I've been hesitant to try any of the later novels in the series since I keep hearing how they've become supernatural smut. Still, I'm kind of curious about them, and I kind of like Brett Booth who's penciling the comic soooo.. yeah, been on the fence about it.

You're good until "Obsidian Butterfly" (Which is one of the most awesome in the series), then it goes to smut. After "Obsidian Butterfly" stop reading. That's when they take a turn for the worst. However, until then they're a lot of fun.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

lostphrack wrote:
thedudeabides wrote:

Gotcha. Makes sense. Wink
Spookshow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I got the first two issues. Not that great of a comic.
the blade
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

once the books got to nothing but sex, marvel will be in trouble if they continue to publish unless they change the format to adult content. I can't see them having nudity in this (think they should though Razz)
belle morte
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 am  Reply with quote

They've got a long way to go before the books get smutty. Somehow I doubt the comics will have that sort of longevity.

I picked up the first two, have to pay my invoice for the third one to be sent to me.

I leafed through the ones that I got and didn't really read them - because I can't really follow comic books - but I love the artwork. I thought their depiction of Anita was spot on and I can't wait to see what they do with Richard, once they get to him.

I'll buy them for collectibles but that's about it. I just think it's a neat idea.
the blade
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I read the first one. It was pretty good. They cleaned up the language nicely. I will get all of them also. And I agree I don't expect them to get thru much of the series.
belle morte
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

We'll see how it goes, I guess. For $2.99 each, I can't really complain. It's kinda nice to see something good happen with a series of books I like. And they're planning to make a television show out of another vampire series I read. Who'd have thunk it?
Spookshow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

belle morte wrote:
We'll see how it goes, I guess. For $2.99 each, I can't really complain. It's kinda nice to see something good happen with a series of books I like. And they're planning to make a television show out of another vampire series I read. Who'd have thunk it?

What series is being made into a tv show?