FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> The Stooges' comeback album "The Weirdness"
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I'm somewhat disappointed with it - it has a couple of good songs, but otherwise it feels rather half-assed in a way that their classic material never was. This is truly perplexing considering how good the songs on Skull Ring Iggy Pop cowrote and performed with the rest of the Stooges were, and for that matter most of that album save for the collaborations with - of all people - Green Day and Sum 41. (I mean, WTF?)

On the plus side, it definitely has their best production yet but that's more or less to be expected with Steve Albini.
I've got a wheel inside my head,
The wheel of understanding!

Last edited by Tsotha-lanti on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:05 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'm with you on every point but the production value. It strikes me as one of Albini's lesser accomplishments.

Too bad, too. I had really high hopes for this one.

Thank God the Bad Brains' new album wasn't a disappointment, too. Hell, it rocks. Hard. In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
I'm with you on every point but the production value. It strikes me as one of Albini's lesser accomplishments.

Come to think of it, the production on Raw Power isn't anywhere as bad as commonly alleged, not even on the original which easily is clearer than, let's say, Venom's Welcome to Hell.

I didn't mean that is was one of Albini's best accomplishments, just that it was The Stooges' best production yet though that's not saying much.

Quote:
Too bad, too. I had really high hopes for this one.

One of the factors leading to the disappointment, however, is not really The Stooges' fault - it's namely that they have been surpassed by their imitators to an extent that few other bands can even hope/fear (depending on how you see things), meaning that any attempt to capture the same sound as vintage Stooges will by default not have the same edge-pushing mentality as the originals did and still have today even though they're positively tame next to a lot of the metal and punk bands who would never have existed without The Stooges because back then in the early seventies, they really were trying to be as raw and over-the-top as possible. Really, it is a wonder that they've certainly survived getting surpassed to this an extent by their imitators much better than, say, Morbid Angel.
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

I can't believe my drunken-ass missed this thread.

The album, IMO has the feel of alot of the "Detroit Rehearsal sessions" from the end of the initial band's run. It certianly does not possess the power of Iggy's Beat Up disc-last before SR. Possibly Iggy's most powerfully deliveried album in years.

The production issues on Raw Power were more due to the cd's replication of the masters. That is from what little I've read about it. The re-mastered/Iggy mix re-release REALLY BLOWS the orig US disc out of the water.

In that regard, the 1st disc and FUNHOUSE(my personal fav) recieved a two disc release each a couple of years back, really sounds GODHEAD.

T-L and Dr if you need any kinda IGGY fix lemme know by PM and I'll hook you up.
Tsotha-lanti
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Ah yeah, I forget recently buying the original CD release of Funhouse instead of the remaster - I just hoped that the original sounded better (as is often the case), only to find out that it suffered from the guitar being almost inaudible. I think a bit of compression is a fair price to pay for actually being able to hear the guitar.

Once again my own foolishness prompts me to spend twice as many money as I could have. The fun thing is... Raw Power is the BEST produced of the classic Stooges albums! Shocked

As a side note, am I the only here notice to notice how the faster songs on Raw Power clearly were the prototype for the entire Motörhead/Venom/early Bathory/Impaler/Hellhammer school of extremely raw, stripped-down heavy metal?