FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> X-Men 3
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

EvilRex wrote:
There's a lot of praise for Page in these boards, but is it just people more into hwho she is in regasrds to her role in Hard Candy or actually as Kitty Pryde.


True to a point. She's an excellent actress. However, I'm wondering why she was cast. She's mostly an indie actress.

EvilRex wrote:
While Page did well with what little material she had in X-Men, I can't say it really stood out enough. And it's not her fault. Kitty Pryde was just another under-developed character simply there as a plot device to create a inbalance in Bobby and Rogue's relationship leading to Rogue's search for the "Cure".


And that's what confuses me. Is Ratner treading water on characterization to save it for the next film? Did they not develop her enough purposely to save her for the rumored "Young X-Men" film? Or was it just hackneyed writing?

I'm leaning toward door number three, but if I'm hopeful, door number two is a possibility.

I hate the way Rogue became such a petulant waste of space. She was so cool, or at least had the potential to be.

EvilRex wrote:
Then there was the whole the "race" against the Juggernaut which was cool but only made me want more.


I loved that scene, to be honest, but they ruined Juggernaut. Vinnie Jones can't not be a bad ass, but I expected more.

EvilRex wrote:
In between were minute scenes of her sadness toward Xavier's fate, but those scenes are so rushed and empty that there is very little impact.


Two words: Brett Ratner.

That's really all there needs to be said as far as I'm concerned. He's not known for heavy characterization.

EvilRex wrote:
I just wished they treated the character with a little more importance to the X-Men universe and to the Xavier school than they did.


I know! Here's what they could have done:

Cut Angel out altogether!

What was his purpose here? Ratner could have lengthened the story, cut out Angel, and used that for character focus! And use the fact that Worthington created the antidote, but there's no need for Angel. There IS, but use him right, or don't use him at all.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Location: Spook City, USA

The movie felt more like a season finale, than a last chapter. Part of me suspects that they didn't want to make anything too permanant, in case contracts were renewed or parts recast. Not that that's an inherently bad thing, it just kinda made the "big" events in the story seem like just "big events in a story," instead of actual occurances in the lives of actual people in a fully realized universe.

But it wasn't terrible. I was entertained, and there were good performances (but can Stewart and McKellan not give good performances . . .). The effects were nice, and Magneto's chess scene really got me. But in the end it felt more like "The Search for Spock" than "Return of The King."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

I agree. You can tell that nothing really seemed carved in stone. Plots were closed, while others were left wide open.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2683
Location: Savannah, Georgia

Sirand wrote:
Yup, a limp ending to a great series. Shame things turned out like this.


Careful now, Sirand. Lest you wake a sleeping giant who wishes to let us know that X-Men: The Last Stand is like a great foreign film, full of subtle nuances we're too simple to understand. Laughing

On second thought blast away, friend. I don't think fireflyfan's around. Mr. Green
_________________
"I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense." - H. L. Mencken


Last edited by FilmCritic3000 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:36 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Sirand wrote:
Yup, a limp ending to a great series. Shame things turned out like this.


Careful now, Sirand. Lest you wake a sleeping giant who wishes to let us know that X-Men: The Last Stand is like a great foreign film, full of subtle nuances we're too simple to understand. Laughing

On second thought blast away, friend. I don't think you know who's around. Mr. Green


I believe Herr Boll subscribes to that notion. You Americans are too dumb to understand my art.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:22 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 9301
Location: Rhode Island

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=10435

Quote:
Lost Star Up For X-Men Role
by Jay in Movies at 11:59 PM on 2006.11.20

Source: WENN

LOST star JOSH HOLLOWAY is being tipped to star in the next X-MEN movie as fan favourite GAMBIT. Holloway, who plays SAWYER on the hit TV show, was set to star as Gambit in X-MEN: THE LAST STAND but pulled out because of TV commitments. But it's reported the model/actor will star in the next installment, which will not feature many of the film's original stars, including HUGH JACKMAN, SIR IAN McKELLEN and HALLE BERRY. The film's producer LAUREN SCHULER DONNER tells Moviehole, "Remember in Lost? There was a guy in there that was the perfect Gambit, the guy with the straight hair, good-looking, the bad boy Sawyer. "The reason we didn't use Gambit was because in a sense his persona is a bit like WOLVERINE in that he's got attitude and his power is not quite as exciting as the others. "That's why we went to NIGHTCRAWLER on 2 because he looked different than everybody else and he had a great power. So yes, I think we would weave Gambit within our story, (but) it wouldn't be The Gambit Movie". Gambit possesses the ability to charge objects with energy, causing them to explode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:25 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

That would so rock.

I hope they do a "Young X-Men" film. I REALLY do.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2039

Terminal wrote:
I hope they do a "Young X-Men" film. I REALLY do.

Dude, look out man... I'm gonna blow! Stand By Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Ultimo Franco wrote:
Terminal wrote:
I hope they do a "Young X-Men" film. I REALLY do.

Dude, look out man... I'm gonna blow! Stand By Me


Debating has become so passe, hasn't it? Laughing
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4003
Location: Hollyweird

Why did you guys have to resurrect this thread and remind me that this shitty movie existed?

Now I'm all depressed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Sirand wrote:
Why did you guys have to resurrect this thread and remind me that this shitty movie existed?

Now I'm all depressed.


It's a very... um... boggling movie.

It's like watching the light display on a roller coaster. It leaves your eyes spinning and gives you an immense migraine that leads to violent fits of stabbing and shooting to which you deny to the officers later on as simply alcoholism, but they don't believe you so they club you near death... so I've heard.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Reaper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 400

Not to worry, with the upcoming Black Friday sales, we can all enjoy this masterpiece of cinema all over again for the low, low price of $9.72 and bask in it's eternal glory night and day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:01 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1256

This movie is amazing! There is just so much going on and the chemistry between the actors is great! It's just like the comic only 10X better because shit blows up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonny
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:37 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 534
Location: North Dakota

This movie, just like everyone else here I'm sure, confounds the shit out of me.

When it's good...man it's really good and when it sucks...it sucks hard.

But, and yeah, I know I'm stupid, but I actually like this X-Men more than the first two...When I originally pictured an X-Men flick...THIS is what I had in mind...BIG mutant fights...sure we had to give up some character for it, but I had more than enough of that the previous movies...I wanted to see some friggin' actual mutant on mutant fighting, besides Wolverine and that's the thing-

-the only one who did a damn thing in the previous movies was Wolverine, and I hated that. I've been wanting to see big battles since the first film and it was nice that this finally delivered. They ALL had their asskicking moments, which was how it should've been since the start. The earlier flicks focused way too much on Wolvie.

But there are so many brain dead moments! I didn't mind that they killed Xavier...but what the hell was up with Cyclops! Such a waste! He's my favorite character and in the first one...he didn't do anything...in the second one..he didn't do anything and then they kill him. Such a waste.

I thought Angel was pretty pointless also, but I think the whole point of Angel was the theme of the flick. It seemed to be just accepting who you are despite what others think and not changing, his character went through that arch. I'm not saying they handled it well, because it's a misstep just like a lot of other stuff in the movie, but honestly I never thought he got in the way of anything. But I would've taken Nightcrawler again over him any day of the week.

So yeah, sue me, I like X-Men 3...if I'm going to sit down to watch an X-Men movie...that's the one.
_________________
Sonny Fernandez Films is now on MySpace! See trailers and pics from the latest flick..."The Last BattleGround" as well as info on "BloodGod" and "The Aborted!"
http://www.myspace.com/sonnyfernandezfilms
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:22 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Sonny wrote:
This movie, just like everyone else here I'm sure, confounds the shit out of me.

When it's good...man it's really good and when it sucks...it sucks hard.

But, and yeah, I know I'm stupid, but I actually like this X-Men more than the first two...When I originally pictured an X-Men flick...THIS is what I had in mind...BIG mutant fights...sure we had to give up some character for it, but I had more than enough of that the previous movies...I wanted to see some friggin' actual mutant on mutant fighting, besides Wolverine and that's the thing-

-the only one who did a damn thing in the previous movies was Wolverine, and I hated that. I've been wanting to see big battles since the first film and it was nice that this finally delivered. They ALL had their asskicking moments, which was how it should've been since the start. The earlier flicks focused way too much on Wolvie.

But there are so many brain dead moments! I didn't mind that they killed Xavier...but what the hell was up with Cyclops! Such a waste! He's my favorite character and in the first one...he didn't do anything...in the second one..he didn't do anything and then they kill him. Such a waste.

I thought Angel was pretty pointless also, but I think the whole point of Angel was the theme of the flick. It seemed to be just accepting who you are despite what others think and not changing, his character went through that arch. I'm not saying they handled it well, because it's a misstep just like a lot of other stuff in the movie, but honestly I never thought he got in the way of anything. But I would've taken Nightcrawler again over him any day of the week.

So yeah, sue me, I like X-Men 3...if I'm going to sit down to watch an X-Men movie...that's the one.


So because the other movies didn't devolve into JUST Mutants fighting you'd rather watch a dumb fun flick? It takes all kinds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum