FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Review for Like Death and Pandora Drive
Tim Waggoner
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Insidious Reflections has posted a combined review of my horror novels Like Death and Pandora Drive. You can check it out here: http://www.insidiousreflections.com/Reviews/BOOKLikeDeathandPandoraDrive.htm
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:38 am  Reply with quote

Actually I think you're a better writer than Edward Lee and I say that as a fan of (most of) Ed's work.

My favorite stuff in PANDORA and DEATH was the fucked up Freudian imagery. My only complaint about PANDORA would be that I never felt as if the lead was in any real danger. The monsters kept taking each other out... Still, I'd rate them both 4/5 and I'm looking forward to your next Leisure book.

PS: I see you've written a bunch of kids' and young adult books... Can you go from writing about a potential kiddie fiddler's shotgun cock to family friendly fare without a problem? Or do you sometimes have to censor yourself or even edit things out that are too much for the trageted audience?
Tim Waggoner
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:58 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about my work. They're most appreciated.

I don't have any trouble shifting gears when writing for different age groups. I simply don't allow my imagination to run as wild as when I write horror for adults <g>. I sometimes have a difficult time shifting from writing horror to writing fantasy, though. The mental transition can take a little longer than I like, and sometimes I'll put elements in fantasy novels that editors deem too "horror" for fantasy fiction. Nothing too extreme in terms of violence or sex, just stuff that's a bit too eerie or off-beat. For example, in one fantasy novel I put in a minor character, a young girl, who had snakes in place of eyes. The editor thought that was a bit too weird, so I revised that section.

Believe it or not, I don't consider my Leisure novels to be erotic horror, though I've heard them described as such. (And I'm not sure why reviewers are referring to Darkness Wakes as erotic horror, since I thought I'd toned down the sexual elements in that book.) I try to make all my horror primal and intimate because I think that makes for the best horror fiction, and what could be more primal and intimate about the human condition than sex? But sex is just one ingredient among many I use.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Tim Waggoner wrote:
Believe it or not, I don't consider my Leisure novels to be erotic horror, though I've heard them described as such.

I wouldn't label them erotic horror either. I actually think PANDORA and DEATH are horror/fantasy hybrids and yes, they have sex and eroticism in them but that's an element and not the focal point. Can't judge DARKNESS yet, obviously, but maybe the label is more accurate there since the story seems to center more about sex and sex addicts and sex demons. Not that there's anything wrong with that... Mr. Green