FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> World War Z
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Finished this today. I saved it for a long time (as I tend to do with books I'm really looking forward to reading), and World War z didn't disappoint.

I don't have much to add beyond what others have already said here, but Max Brooks has put together just about the best zombie novel I've ever read. It's brilliant.
zombieprincess37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I thought it was by far the best book i ever read, The way it is written is so insane, they scariest part about it is that you could see human reaction being exactly the way max brooks has written it! The goverment reaction and the segment about the fda and pushing through the drug to stop the outbreak......amazing and frightning, I love it!
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Agreed.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I've read half of this and I'm so in love with it.

This is a fantastic book. Scary, vivid, realistic, excellent commentaries on religion, poverty, celebrities, and politics, and some truly excellent characters.

My favorite chapter is the mentally disabled girl describing the zombies breaking into a church. LOVED it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Man I'm getting a serious world history lesson with this shit. I love how Isreal and Cuba are the only two countries to have really done anything about the outbreak.

And man some of the battles are EPIC. Yonkers? Jesus that'd be an awesome scene.

I know! I live near fucking Yonkers!!

Haha. That scene was amazing. And the whole description of the land army setting up perimeters and building a wall of corpses from the ones shot was a fantastic scene. This book is just so great.

So far my favorite stories have been the woman who survived the plane crash and had to make it across the swamp, the Asian boy escaping his apartment complex, and the disabled girl in the church.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
Its already optioned for a feature film. Old news, right? Or did I miss something?

Anyway, this along with THE WALKING DEAD is the best contribution to the zombie sub-genre in a long long long long time.

I love zombie fiction, but most of it is atrocious crap lower on the food chain than any Harlequin romance novel. Hell, I didn't even like THE RISING by Brian Keen (thought it was awful actually, and very amateurish in ways...HATED what he did with the dead) so I am picky as all hell.

WWZ gets a 9.5 from me however. Highly highly reccomended.

Agreed with everything, but I give WWZ a 10.

The Walking Dead is also a wonderful contribution to the sub-genre. A 10 too.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
This can't be a movie.

No way can you fit it into a movie.

For the love of all things good and holy turn it into a showtime or hbo show or mini series.

A show preferably.

I'd love a show.

But this is movie material.

Who knows, it may end up compressed, but it may also actually be entertaining.

I'll definitely be open to the possibilities.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:10 am  Reply with quote

I've always heard mini series but it's been a while.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

A movie won't do it justice.
Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Finished this the other day, and I have to agree, much like BAND OF BROTHERS would have sucked cock if it were compressed and released as a theatrical, two hour movie, WORLD WAR Z just HAS to be done as an epic mini-series in order not to shortchange even ONE of the brilliant stories contained therein.

I mean, really, I can't pick one segment of this book that I'd want to see left out of a movie adaptation. They're all so vivid, and most of all, important to the narrative flow, that if you axe one of them, you may as well just axe them all.

My favorite segments were the geek-turned-samurai, the suburban girl-turned cannibal, and the segment about the K9 corps, just because it mentioned Oregon, and it highlighted the canine heroes of the Zombie War.

Max Brooks also wrote the EXCELLENT satirical ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE: or
HOW TO SURVIVE A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK. If you liked WORLD WAR Z, I suggest you pick this up.
walking-dead
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I am in the minority on the board. I bought the book with high expectations and found it rather dull. Maybe I expected something more visceral, I dunno. All I know is that I did not get Brooks' other Zombie book because he could not sustain my interest.

I did like the sheer realism and the absurdity of human nature, but all in all, it did not do it for me.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

walking-dead wrote:
I guess I am in the minority on the board. I bought the book with high expectations and found it rather dull. Maybe I expected something more visceral, I dunno. All I know is that I did not get Brooks' other Zombie book because he could not sustain my interest.

I did like the sheer realism and the absurdity of human nature, but all in all, it did not do it for me.

Were you expecting a novel ?
Rorschach
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:06 am  Reply with quote

Actually, I *WAS* expecting a novel....but was pleasantly surprised at what I got. Like Buz said earlier, this was a nice world history lesson, and had some of the most vivid scenes you could imagine.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm on board with all the rest of you that is probably one of the best books I've read in a long time. Couldn't put it down this weekend as I travelled all over the Southeast on Uncle Sam's dollar.

Some of the imagery just floored me. I don't need a movie or a mini-series or a graphic novel. This book was enough for me.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:40 am  Reply with quote

The Audio CD is quite good as well, although its abridged.