FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Gore Novels
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've read a few by Edward Lee....Bighead, Family Tradition, Teratologist, Goon. But I'm sure there are many other authors who write this type of horror.

I've heard Patrick Gates is similar. Anyone read him before ?
brainee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I've read a few of Patrick R Gates' books. I don't think of him as a "gore" writer (and personally don't care for those kind of books, unless there's a good story/characters/writing to go along with the nasty stuff). My favorite of his was "Grimm Memorials" -- an extremely nasty updating of the "Hansel and Gretel" fable. At times it reminded me a bit of "Bloodsucking Freaks" -- but with an evil mind-controlling witch ... and with children Shocked

Another author who writes in a similar style is Charlee Jacob. "This Symbiotic Fascination" and "Haunter" are a couple good ones that are easy to find. If you're looking for gore there should be plenty to make you happy. Plus she writes very well and her stories have interesting ideas in them.

JF Gonzalez's "Survivor" is an extremely brutal snuff horror. Some of Ketchum ("Off Season"), Graham Masterton ("Feast", which has maybe the grossest ending scene I've ever read), Richard Laymon, Skipp and Spector get pretty extreme.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:28 am  Reply with quote

I've read Survivor and lots of Ketchum. They are really great, but I wouldn't put them into the same category as the aforementioned LEE novels.

I've heard Lucy Taylor is really good, too.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

brainee wrote:
Another author who writes in a similar style is Charlee Jacob. "This Symbiotic Fascination" and "Haunter" are a couple good ones that are easy to find. If you're looking for gore there should be plenty to make you happy. Plus she writes very well and her stories have interesting ideas in them.

Fucking seconded! HAUTER especially kicked my ass and features some really nasty parts. There's a torture scene involving maggots that made even me a little queasy. I wish someone, preferably Leisure, would hurry up and put her new novel VESTAL out as an affordable paperback. Much as I like her books I can't buy $50 limited edition paperbacks often.

Also: Ketchum. OFF SEASON.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Charlee Jacob.....got it.