FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> DOCTOR WHO
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
That's not surprising. Although, of the toys that DO sell, I'll bet their daleks are always pretty near the top of the list. So, "now, there are 5 brand new daleks to choose from!!!"

What they need to do is make a Sonic Screwdriver cigarette lighter, damn it. I've been looking for that and/or one that looks like a fucking lightsaber forever. You'd think someone would have made at least one of those things, by now. Just makes too much sense not to.

They could do a Davros lighter. Just flick the good hand, light, inhale, EXTERMINATE.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Yeah, that'd be cool, but it'd be a bitch to carry around in your pocket.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Smith hasn't really grown on me as of yet.
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 am  Reply with quote

I think Smith will do aright in the long run. I guess that I'm still waithing for that "wow!" episode of the current run that really puts him over.
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 am  Reply with quote

American Werewolf wrote:
I think Smith will do aright in the long run. I guess that I'm still waithing for that "wow!" episode of the current run that really puts him over.

As this series has progressed, I've been won over by Smith. At first, he seemed to invoking too much of Tennant, but he is developing his own mark as a doctor. I've only watched Doctor Who since 2007, but having seen selections of the pre-2005 Doctor Who, it seems that Smith is really starting to invoke Troughton. As the second doc is my third favorite behind Tennant and Pertwee, this is not a bad thing.

And, btw, we've been downloading the episodes as transmitted in the Uk, and saturday's episode "Vincent and the Doctor" was pretty tremendous. Overtly and manipulatively sentimental? Sure. But I won't deny that I teared up in the final act...
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

NYC-Hearts wrote:
American Werewolf wrote:

As this series has progressed, I've been won over by Smith. At first, he seemed to invoking too much of Tennant, but he is developing his own mark as a doctor. I've only watched Doctor Who since 2007, but having seen selections of the pre-2005 Doctor Who, it seems that Smith is really starting to invoke Troughton. As the second doc is my third favorite behind Tennant and Pertwee, this is not a bad thing.

And, btw, we've been downloading the episodes as transmitted in the Uk, and saturday's episode "Vincent and the Doctor" was pretty tremendous. Overtly and manipulatively sentimental? Sure. But I won't deny that I teared up in the final act...

I pretty much agree with everything said here.

Vincent and the Doctor was, without a doubt, the best episode this season. Definitely one of the best of the revival. They even managed to make you sympathize with the monster of the week as it lay there dying. Then, they went and finished the episode the way they did, and just knock it out of the park. If you didn't feel a twinge of something when Vincent was standing there, listening to that speech, you're fucking inhuman.

I'm pretty sure Smith's been going around name-checking Troughton in interviews, and I can see the similarities pretty clearly. Just look what he does with his hands when that invisible monster's attacking (in this week's episode) - spot on Troughton mannerisms. Or, maybe that's just one of those British dandy things he doesn't even realize he's doing. Like driving on the wrong side of the road.

I'd still put Baker before Pertwee ... and maybe Troughton before Tennant. Although, admittedly, I've only seen the Mind Robber (I think it was called) and Tomb of the Cybermen. But both of those were pretty incredible. If only the BBC hadn't erased so many of the others ...

But, who knows - maybe one day, we'll catch up to the remnants of those 40 some odd year old airwaves as they continue to make their way through space and figure out a way to piece them back together again. Probably not. But, a guy can dream, can't he?
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:35 am  Reply with quote

The first 3 seasons (series) with Baker are my favorite of Who. Terror of the Zygons, Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, Talons of Weng-Chiang,...the list goes on. I'm just discovering Pertwee and of the few episodes I've seen he was a great Doctor. I missed last weeks Who and from what I have read about the season's finale maybe it will be "that" episode. Looking forward to seeing the Van Gogh ep.
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

I pretty much agree with everything said here.

Vincent and the Doctor was, without a doubt, the best episode this season. Definitely one of the best of the revival. They even managed to make you sympathize with the monster of the week as it lay there dying. Then, they went and finished the episode the way they did, and just knock it out of the park. If you didn't feel a twinge of something when Vincent was standing there, listening to that speech, you're fucking inhuman.

I'm pretty sure Smith's been going around name-checking Troughton in interviews, and I can see the similarities pretty clearly. Just look what he does with his hands when that invisible monster's attacking (in this week's episode) - spot on Troughton mannerisms. Or, maybe that's just one of those British dandy things he doesn't even realize he's doing. Like driving on the wrong side of the road.

I'd still put Baker before Pertwee ... and maybe Troughton before Tennant. Although, admittedly, I've only seen the Mind Robber (I think it was called) and Tomb of the Cybermen. But both of those were pretty incredible. If only the BBC hadn't erased so many of the others ...

But, who knows - maybe one day, we'll catch up to the remnants of those 40 some odd year old airwaves as they continue to make their way through space and figure out a way to piece them back together again. Probably not. But, a guy can dream, can't he?

Damn english and their wrong side of the road!

If you're looking for more Troughton, check out War Games. It's about 87 episodes long, but unlike a lot of old Who, it doesn't feel padded.

I think I dig Pertwee as he's so amazingly camp. Velvet coat, bon mots, sword fighting, venusian karate and that hair. How could you go wrong.

And... Vincent and the Doctor. We just saw the replay on BBCA--we stayed in to watch the final episode broadcasted in the UK (very disapointing, and I say this as a huge Moffat fan)--and

SPOILER

that damn scene with Nighy and the three of them still gets me...
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:35 am  Reply with quote

American Werewolf wrote:
The first 3 seasons (series) with Baker are my favorite of Who. Terror of the Zygons, Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, Talons of Weng-Chiang,...the list goes on. I'm just discovering Pertwee and of the few episodes I've seen he was a great Doctor. I missed last weeks Who and from what I have read about the season's finale maybe it will be "that" episode. Looking forward to seeing the Van Gogh ep.

I really like Weng-Chiang, but Baker, for some odd reason, still ranks somewhat low on my list of doctors. Maybe because he was the doctor who was always on my PBS station, and as a kid, i thought it looked like kind of crap tv (and then made fun of kids in my school who said they liked it. Ironic that i'm now posting on a dr who thread. On a horror forum. At 320 am...)

Pertwee's definitely different than any other doctor. He's basically a dandy James Bond. Which is, basically, kinda awesome.
will graham
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

series has now finshed in the uk. Overall I'm disapointed, it was too much like the previous seasons of new Who.

I didn't like what Russell T Davis had done to Who, mostly because the quality of the writing was piss poor compared to his earlier work.

When I was a child I saw 2 childrens shows that he wrote.

One was Dark Season, a doctor who inspired show where a trio of kids (one of which was Kate Winslet) battle evil in their high school. Sadly only lasted 6 episodes and featured 2 stories despite strong ratings.

The other was Century Falls, about an overweight teenage girl who with her pregenant mother move to a village where everone is over the age of 50 except 2 kids with psychic abilities.

Both shows were typical uk genre in that they were low quality in production values/fx but rich in storytelling. Sadly RTD seems to have disowned them because they were kids shows, which is a shame since Century Falls was by far the best britsh genre show/film of the 90's.

Looking at RTD overall work it seems as if he's mentally ageing backwards.

This last season of Who was just too miuch like Russell T Davis Who seasons and had the same ideas

Spoilers:

Companion has wimpy boyfriend
An important historical person helps the Doctor
The last 2 episodes are just one giant character reunion.
The Daleks apprear at the end of season.

Like with the previous New Who there's nothing wrong with the guy playing the Doctor, it just the quality of the screenplays. It actually makes me wonder if the producers are the ones calling the creative shots.

Once again the brown nosed SFX magazine think the world of it.
For the last five years, when it comes to reviews they've never given an episode of a UK genre show a rating below 3 1/2 stars. They also seem to be the only people who actually like the new dalek design. Rolling Eyes
LeeRain
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

I enjoy her merely for the fact that they (the writers/producers of the show) aren't putting a romance angle on her and the Doctor. That shit is way too lame. I like my Doctors terse and fiesty and I like my companions to be JUST that-COMPANIONS. No doe-eyed, loving glances at the Doctor, none of that stuff. It was sickening enough when they did it with Rose (that chav slut) and Martha.

I just want to see some good Doctor Who and, right now, it's happening and she's helping with the magic. Wink
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Some interesting "Who" related news. Torchwood is moving to Starz...
http://paralleluniverse.msn.com/features/tv/torchwood-reignites-on-starz/story/
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

NYC-Hearts wrote:
American Werewolf wrote:

I really like Weng-Chiang, but Baker, for some odd reason, still ranks somewhat low on my list of doctors. Maybe because he was the doctor who was always on my PBS station, and as a kid, i thought it looked like kind of crap tv (and then made fun of kids in my school who said they liked it. Ironic that i'm now posting on a dr who thread. On a horror forum. At 320 am...)

Pertwee's definitely different than any other doctor. He's basically a dandy James Bond. Which is, basically, kinda awesome.

I've been watching early Pertwee episodes and he is more of a "hands on" Doctor. I like his take on the character. It's funny that now I'm seeing Pertwee's take on the Doctor that in some of the early Baker episodes they had him using his fists, swords, etc at times as well.
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Any thoughts on A Chistmas Carol, people? It didn't provide the same punch to the gut as the batshit insane End of Time did last year, but I still thought it was great xmas night entertainment. As an xmas episode I'm willing to forgive a lot if the episode provides some entertaining fun--which this episode did in spades--but I can't help but feel that Moffat really needs to step away from the scripts that scream out "timey wimey." He can do much more as a writer.
randalhensley
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Anyone who does not choose the Harvard educated doctor is simply not telling the truth.
<a href="http://www.healthproductreviewers.com/electronic-cigarette-review.html">Electronic Cigarette</a>