FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> After a 13 year hiatus...
Morbid
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:34 am  Reply with quote

The last thing I ever drew was a panel from an issue of Heavy Metal back in '93...2 years before my son was born. I had never had the time, or will, to draw ever since.

Until last night.

See, I was grocery shopping the other day and had to go down an aisle that had school supplies...some of those supplies being sketchbooks and pencils. I picked up 1 pad, 1 pack of pencils and one of those shitty, plastic pencil sharpeners. At the time, I wanted to see if I could still even take the time and concentration to draw anything at all....I mean, I doodle in meetings and stuff, but I had not sat down to purposely draw anything in 13 years.

Last night, I finally got the urge to try it again. I decided that I would draw a black-and-white, what used to be the easiest thing for me to do. I settled on a zombie from the back of one of my issues of The Walking Dead

Here is the zombie. THis is unaltered and has not been cleaned up. Shit shading done just so I knew were the shading should be. The bottom half, from the tongue down, is not to my liking, but for my first attempt in 13 years, it'll do.

Now I need some PS guru to show me what can be done as far as coloring sketches go. I seen some tutorials floating around, but decided to just whip up a quick demo of what it could look like in color (I did this in 20 minutes with no idea of what I was doing, I would love some examples of what could be done with coloring sketches in capable hands):

In any event, it has definitely re-awakened the drawer in me. I think I may try to get back into it. Anyone know of a GOOD sketch coloring tutorial?
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Well done.

I used to be a sketcher too. I was taking courses, and nearly won a scholarship, but when it started to feel like work, I stopped.

The pic is great, but you're missing shadowing, which detracts from its illusion of depth and realism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

go to the Steve Niles forums and those guys can turn you onto the right software and how to use it...