FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Supernatural anyone?
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I watched the whole set with UC, and he loved it as much as I did. I think the female vs. male argument has a tiny bit of weight by virtue of the fact that the two leads are damn fine looking specimens (I'm really partial to Jensen, as people might have noticed since I kept putting him first whereas most of the press for the show lists Jared first Laughing), but from the people I've talked to, the audience seems to be fairly well split down gender lines -- especially because of the brother/brother and father/son dynamics. I would think a lot of guys can relate to that. Plus, there's that bitchin' car they drive and the killer tunes.

And Fireflyfan, if you check out my review, you'll see the following extras listed:

Commentary on "Pilot" by creator Eric Kripke, director David Nutter, and producer Peter Johnson
Commentary on "Phantom Traveler" by Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles
"Supernatural: Tales from the Edge of Darkness" featurette
"Day in the Life of Jared and Jensen" featurette
Gag reel
Unaired/deleted scenes
Still gallery
DVD-ROM capabilities
Two hidden features (Disc 6)

All in all, for a first season set of a show that wasn't totally successful, it's a pretty nice package, which helped boost its rating up to 4-1/2.

And since Night Stalker has been mentioned, it's interesting that Kripke originally pitched the show as being about a reporter who investigates supernatural occurrences but was shot down by the networks. No one specifically mentioned Kolchak in any of the interviews, but that's certainly the first thing I thought of.
i3ullseye
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 am  Reply with quote

Ok, consider me now officially interested then. As soemone who bought the priginal Nightstalker the day it hit DVD, you have pushed one of my buttons.

And I didn't even have to pay up front and say I wasn't a cop.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:46 am  Reply with quote

i3ullseye wrote:
Ok, consider me now officially interested then. As soemone who bought the priginal Nightstalker the day it hit DVD, you have pushed one of my buttons.

And I didn't even have to pay up front and say I wasn't a cop.

It's a great series.

I suggest this for anyone who is a fan of X-Files, Kolchak, Hardy Boys, Buffy, Hex, Vampires, or anyone who just enjoys a fun horror series. I love these characters. Dean is of course my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:53 am  Reply with quote

I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a little while, but I couldn't get over the constant instances of these two goofy WB kids masquerading as government agents and no one batting an eye. Laughing

That and the fact that I detest Jensen Ackles and his smug "performances" to the point of wanting to see him die a thousand horrible deaths. I've never liked the guy in anything, SUPERNATURAL included. I think he's a talentless vacuum.

The stories were all right, though nothing I haven't seen before, and the effects were solid. But not enough to bring me back after the first few episodes. No offense to those who like it, but I guess it wasn't unique enough to grab me for the long haul.

For those who still watch, do they quit with the whole "impersonating government agents" thing later in the season?
xfoley8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a little while, but I couldn't get over the constant instances of these two goofy WB kids masquerading as government agents and no one batting an eye. Laughing

That and the fact that I detest Jensen Ackles and his smug "performances" to the point of wanting to see him die a thousand horrible deaths. I've never liked the guy in anything, SUPERNATURAL included. I think he's a talentless vacuum.

If you hate Ackles that much, it's hard to imagine you'd ever be a fan of the show. Personally I think he overdoes the 'intensity' a bit, but he's a perfectly tolerable actor- not much better or worse than the average WB pretty face (though I give him credit for acting in a show with a horror theme).

I agree that the impersonating government agents/law enforcement bit is groan-inducing, and I hope the writers come up with something else to get the bros involved in each story, but I don't find it to be a fatal flaw. It takes the show down a peg or two in my rating of it, but I can suspend my disbelief most of the time, since it isn't a major part of the stories themselves- just a lazy plot device to keep things rolling.

Some stories hit, some miss, but the ones that hit the mark are quite good. I'm hooked. And, for the stats, I am a heterosexual male Wink - as WIB indicated, I find the brother dynamic compelling, as I have one of my own, and we don't always agree....

Last edited by xfoley8 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Messiahman wrote:
For those who still watch, do they quit with the whole "impersonating government agents" thing later in the season?

It still happens now and then -- but they are really all over the place with what/who they impersonate. Students, priests, journalists, and the occasional government official too. Yeah, it stretches the imagination a bit, but the rest of the show is so enjoyable I'm able to overlook it.

And Ackles' smugness really does fit the character once you get to know Dean and what he's all about. It's basically an act to keep up appearances for his younger bro. But certainly no show is for everyone, so you may be better off just sitting this one out.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:

The stories were all right, though nothing I haven't seen before, and the effects were solid. But not enough to bring me back after the first few episodes. No offense to those who like it, but I guess it wasn't unique enough to grab me for the long haul.

This is kind of how I felt about it too. Apart from the 'detesting Jensen Ackles' thing... since I don't really care one way or the other about either him or the other what's his face.

I did the same thing with this show I did with Buffy... I watched it in an off-hand manner, not really caring one way or another, to see whether it hooked me or not.

Buffy? Through the nose.

This? Meh. I didn't hate it, but nothing about it really grabbed me either.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Fireflyfan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman, Im surprised to hear you say that since from what I remember, you were the one who turned me onto the show in the first place...I thought you liked it?

But I can't wait for season 2.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Fireflyfan wrote:
Messiahman, Im surprised to hear you say that since from what I remember, you were the one who turned me onto the show in the first place...I thought you liked it?

But I can't wait for season 2.

Pretty sure you're thinking of someone else, Jamie. I wrote a fairly negative review of the original pilot back in the old THC days. I tried watching it a few times after that, but it never grabbed me. To each their own, though, and I'm glad you dig it.
MidnightDreamer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I love this show! I love the guys, specially Jensen, loved him long ago when he was on Days of our Lives, can't wait for my set to get here.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:24 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Messiahman wrote:

Ironically, 2 years after this posting, Messiahman's now rampant devotion to this show has finally gotten me to watch it...and I LOVE IT! Classic rock, awesome characters, clever writing, old-school monster chaos...

And Jensen Ackles rocks!
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Messiahman wrote:

Ironically, 2 years after this posting, Messiahman's now rampant devotion to this show has finally gotten me to watch it...and I LOVE IT! Classic rock, awesome characters, clever writing, old-school monster chaos...

And Jensen Ackles rocks!

Did you start from the very beginning? It's a great ride.