FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Ouch!
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:41 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

A game developer's viewpoint comparing the 360 and PS3:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, itís quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPUís the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPUís on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPUís and do things the XBOX 360 canít, but I donít think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I canít get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPUís vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will Ďadd ps3 supportí as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360ís due to manpower and more importantly, demand. Itís this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

Sony fanboys weep in denial, as they have had the corporate thumb lodged deeply into bad places.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

You mean once again Sony over-hyped, over promised, over boasted and under delivered?

Sounds familiar ... like when they told us how amazing the graphics would be on the PS2. Toy Story my ass.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Indeed!
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Kryten Syxx wrote:
You mean once again Sony over-hyped, over promised, over boasted and under delivered?

Sounds familiar ... like when they told us how amazing the graphics would be on the PS2. Toy Story my ass.

Three words:

Hard Disc Drive.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

I for one don't see the need for a winner or a war. But Sony has soured me with their cockyness.

Comments like, "Next Gen starts when we say it does" seem empty and truth be told, fearfull.

Also, I think Sony is scrambling at our expense.

For instance, first they said Betamax was going to be better than VHS. We see how that panned out. Then they said mini-disc was going to be better than CD. Nope. Then they said UMD's were going to be better than DVD's. Sorry, but no again. As far as I am concerned they're 0 and 3.

Now comes Blue Ray which is --of course-- supposed to be better than HD-DVD and to try to ensure that it is a winner, they've installed it into one of their most popular products the PlayStation. In short, they're forcing this tech down the throats of gamers who want their next gen PS in order to make it a success. This just seems kind of greedy and underhanded to me. Any way you slice it, the PS3 is more expensive because of Blue Ray technology. Speaking for myself, when it comes to gaming I couldn't care less about HD DVD or Blue Ray. I just want good games.Who cares how clear you can see everyone of Adam Sandler's curly hairs in The Wedding Singer?

I don't know. Just seems like they need to be dressed down a notch. Either way, competition is good, and as long as multiple consoles are around, each company will strive to make theirs the best.

Because of that, we all win.

But what of the Wii?

I want one and will get one, but do you think that it's uber popular right now because the idea of playing the way that it allows you to is fresh? In four months will people still be happy about swinging their arms around like a lunatic in front of their TV?
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:14 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Chainsaw wrote:

Three words:

Hard Disc Drive.

Oh you mean the useless hard drive that you couldn't even save your games to?

I remember that.

Stand By Me
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

I was all set to get a PS3 until I saw that you had no choice about Blu Ray. If the console actually offered more, much more than the 360 it would have been worth it but so far there's been nothing we haven't seen before.

Then there was all the talk from the Sony fans (who couldn't comprehend owning more than 1 console) that the 360 was going the way of the Dreamcast and PS3's launch would blow MS out of the water ... hmmm.

What about all the talk Sony made when they thought MS was making a bad decision with offering two different prices ... then they do the same thing?! What is Sony's issue?
Amaya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:
For instance, first they said Betamax was going to be better than VHS. We see how that panned out.

But what of the Wii?

I want one and will get one, but do you think that it's uber popular right now because the idea of playing the way that it allows you to is fresh? In four months will people still be happy about swinging their arms around like a lunatic in front of their TV?

hey now, i still have a betamax lmao

and i swing my arms around like a lunatic in front of the tv without a Wii >.>
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

I think Nintedo will always have that fan base of kids who love swinging their arms. It's only a matter of time until games start coming out that make the use of the Wii-mote more interesting. The way that it is used in Zelda is already great.

But that same fanbase also causes a bit of trouble as well. Hopefully publishers will still want to spend money on having games made for older gamers on the Wii ... or else we may end up with another Gamecube. 1 Mario game and 1 Zelda game every 4-5 years with the gaps being filled in with 20 Mario Party and Mario sports titles.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:

Sony fanboys weep in denial, as they have had the corporate thumb lodged deeply into bad places.

Frankly, so what?

Five years down the line, the 360 is going to have

a) sports games
b) FPS shooters

PS3 will likely have a much wider variety of content and styles.

It did for PS1 and PS2 and I have no doubt it will for PS3.

Masturbate over graphics all you want, I'll take games that are fun, thanks.
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Nephlabobo wrote:
Uncle Creepy wrote:

Frankly, so what?

a) sports games
b) FPS shooters

Coming out for the 360:

Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet
Halo 3
Crackdown
Bioshock
Dark Sector
Bullet Witch
Alan Wake
Fable 2
Forza 2
Assassin's Creed <--- worth watching
The Darkness
Shadowrun
Resident Evil 5
Alone in the Dark
Halflife 2: Episode 2 w/ 5 Different games

I think I'll be happy next year. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Nephlabobo wrote:

a) sports games
b) FPS shooters

*snicker*

Seriously dude, brand loyalty will get you nowhere. I'd play a good game on a fucking Etch-A-Sketch if there was one out. I'd shake that fucker to no end!

But for the The Sony Eliteô, GOD FORBID there be a good game out on a system that's not theirs! They must bash it! I'm sure if GoW was only available on PS3, you'd join in on the praise. *waits patiently for upcoming fit of denial*

People like you just crack me up! Stop hating and expand your horizons.

Oh and as for PG's list -- from what I hear, you may wanna tentatively add Devil May Cry 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 to it. It seems that some third party developers are close to having a change of heart, and aren't willing to be so short sighted this time around. Especially since there's proven money to be made. Wink
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Creepy wrote:

Seriously dude, brand loyalty will get you nowhere. I'd play a good game on a fucking Etch-A-Sketch if there was one out. I'd shake that fucker to no end!

But for the The Sony Eliteô, GOD FORBID there be a good game out on a system that's not theirs! They must bash it! I'm sure if GoW was only available on PS3, you'd join in on the praise. *waits patiently for upcoming fit of denial*

People like you just crack me up! Stop hating and expand your horizons.

Oh and as for PG's list -- from what I hear, you may wanna tentatively add Devil May Cry 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 to it. It seems that some third party developers are close to having a change of heart, and aren't willing to be so short sighted this time around. Especially since there's proven money to be made. Wink

And for the Anti-Sony jihadists, anything positive said about Sony means your opinion is null and void.

How many systems do you own? Bet it's a fuck of alot less than me. I'm willing to expand my horizons, when there's games worth looking at.

I will more than likely have a 360 before I get a PS3, but I will still be waiting for a price drop on the 360 before I get that.

The 360 has a much better and wider selection of games than the Xbox did - it seems that MS is learning from their mistakes. The fact that I can look through Prarie's list and pick out five titles I want to play, along with Dead Rising, pretty much means I'll be getting it.

But these endless rants and raves about how Sony is Hitler and the PS3 is made of babies and gives off nuclear waste.....

And you have the fucking nerve to call me a hater?

Hypocrite.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
You mean once again Sony over-hyped, over promised, over boasted and under delivered? Sounds familiar ... like when they told us how amazing the graphics would be on the PS2. Toy Story my ass.

Laughing , I remember when Nintendo said that the Nintendo 64 would deliver Jurassic Park quality graphics. Oh that Nintendo, lol...
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:34 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

YAY FANBOY NET RAGEô! I love it! I knew a tantrum was coming. Laughing

FYI I own:

Xbox360
PS2
Gamecube

And before that I've owned every single console that was available at one time or another including all the handhelds, and even obscure consoles ones like CDI and Vectrex.

I'll probably have a Wii and a PS3 soon after Xmas, so please check your hypocrite remarks at the door there Nephy! Again, I just wanna play good games. Laughing