FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> $400 PS3 but $100 games?
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:19 am  Reply with quote

We'll see just how crazy Sony goes after the PS3 launch.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote

In what way? Hopefully they'll go crazy with release after release of good games.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I just don't trust any of Sony's promises. Sure, their online access will be free but at what cost? Quality? Will it offer anything better than what those of us 360 owners already have?

Maybe once they get rolling with more than just a few exclusive titles and Blu ray actually proves itself to be a popular media format then the PS3 would be worth a purchase.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

The PS3 rollout is going to make the 360 rollout look like a bake sale. I predict EBay sales to average out over $1000 for each unit.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
I just don't trust any of Sony's promises. Sure, their online access will be free but at what cost?

Nothing. It's free.

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Will it offer anything better than what those of us 360 owners already have?

How about the lack of 12 years olds hurling racial epithets and constant streams of vulgarity? (Not a promise, just a wish)

Quote:
Maybe once they get rolling with more than just a few exclusive titles and Blu ray actually proves itself to be a popular media format then the PS3 would be worth a purchase.

What did the 360 have in the first year that made it a must purchase? I understand what you mean about exclusive, but the 360 was no better at its launch, to be honest.

And Nintendo's online service? Letting us buy games that we've already bought 50 odd times before in different formats. Whoopee.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Nephlabobo wrote:
Kryten Syxx wrote:
I just don't trust any of Sony's promises. Sure, their online access will be free but at what cost?

Nothing. It's free.

Hmm, you seemed to miss the point. I know it is free, I said that, but something that is free will cost something ... like maybe QUALITY. You think a free online service will keep kids from shouting racial slurs at one another more than it would on a $50 a year service? Ha.

Quote:
What did the 360 have in the first year that made it a must purchase? I understand what you mean about exclusive, but the 360 was no better at its launch, to be honest.

No better at its launch? Let's see, the 360 offered two versions of its proven online structure, the arcade, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, PGR 4 and two exclusive Rare titles. The 360 came out swinging with popular titles that were only available to PC owners and exclusives along with multi- platform games. It was also the first console to go Next Gen.

The problem is that the PS3 is launching with a lot of games that are already going to be on another next gen system and since the 360 costs less to begin with it is a more attractive offer to those who don't want to spend $500+ just for a system. Unless the quality of the graphics differ by a large degree then what is the point? It's great for people who had that strange "I hate Microsoft" attitude and never wanted to try any other console outside of the PS line.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Hmm, you seemed to miss the point. I know it is free, I said that, but something that is free will cost something ... like maybe QUALITY. You think a free online service will keep kids from shouting racial slurs at one another more than it would on a $50 a year service? Ha.

Nah - I was really being a smartass....it's hard to tell with text though.
But seriously - if a free online service won't halt abusive 12 year olds, why would I pay for one?

Of note - Nintendo's online service is also free. Are you saying Nintendo's is going to be of less quality also?

Quote:
No better at its launch? Let's see, the 360 offered two versions of its proven online structure, the arcade, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, PGR 4 and two exclusive Rare titles. The 360 came out swinging with popular titles that were only available to PC owners and exclusives along with multi- platform games. It was also the first console to go Next Gen.

I don't care about online gaming. In fact, I *prefer* offline.
Call of Duty? Quake? More dime a dozen FPS. Yawn.
PGR - wasn't it 3 not 4? - anyways .... not my cup of tea. I prefer more arcade style racing than sim style. And yes, Gran Turismo bores me to tears also.

As for the first to go next gen. So what? The only thing MS did was rush the beginning of the next cycle of consoles. There was (and is) plenty of life in both Xbox and PS2 - as evidenced by the library of PS2 games coming out in the next year. There was no need to go next gen yet. MS knew they were losing so they pushed ahead and tried to make a big splash by releasing before everyone else. First doesn't always mean best.

And Rare sucks nowadays.

Quote:
The problem is that the PS3 is launching with a lot of games that are already going to be on another next gen system and since the 360 costs less to begin with it is a more attractive offer to those who don't want to spend $500+ just for a system. Unless the quality of the graphics differ by a large degree then what is the point? It's great for people who had that strange "I hate Microsoft" attitude and never wanted to try any other console outside of the PS line.

And it's a fair point. But Sony never has strong launch lineups. Neither did the 360 and neither does the Wii. I'm perfectly content to sit and wait until prices go down for 360 and PS3, and to make sure the game library for Wii doesn't suck as hard as it did for GC.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't care about online gaming. In fact, I *prefer* offline.
Call of Duty? Quake? More dime a dozen FPS. Yawn.
PGR - wasn't it 3 not 4? - anyways .... not my cup of tea. I prefer more arcade style racing than sim style. And yes, Gran Turismo bores me to tears also.

As for the first to go next gen. So what? The only thing MS did was rush the beginning of the next cycle of consoles. There was (and is) plenty of life in both Xbox and PS2 - as evidenced by the library of PS2 games coming out in the next year. There was no need to go next gen yet. MS knew they were losing so they pushed ahead and tried to make a big splash by releasing before everyone else. First doesn't always mean best.

And Rare sucks nowadays.

Guess you didn't play COD2 then since it doesn't quite follow the typical run and gun play most FPS do. It's going to be different strokes for every person when it comes to games. You may not like racing games but a shit load of other folks do. I personally dislike Japanese RPGs but by god if there arn't swarms of people who live and breath them.

Rare sucks? Really? I still know a lot of people who enjoy PD0 and Kameo even almost a year after their initial release. Is it because they were bought up by MS?

First to get your product out there and build a library by the time the other's get to the arena ... sounds like a smart plan.

The need to go next gen depends on the gamer. If the PS3 sells well then it would be obvious that many people are ready to go there. Since the new consoles can play the old games then it's a win/win situation for PS2 owners.

By that logic you could also say that the PS1 generation could have waited longer for the PS2, but we were so antsy for those Toy Story like graphics ... which were never delivered on. Sorry, but it is time to move on. The PC made leaps in that 5-6 year time frame so it's time for the consoles to as well.

Nintendo's free online service may suffer from the same problems that face any free multiplayer structure. Who's paying for the server upkeep? Who's hands will the servers be in: the publisher's or the system's company?
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
Guess you didn't play COD2 then since it doesn't quite follow the typical run and gun play most FPS do. It's going to be different strokes for every person when it comes to games. You may not like racing games but a shit load of other folks do. I personally dislike Japanese RPGs but by god if there arn't swarms of people who live and breath them.

I actually did play it a bit at Xmastime. My brother in law got a 360 at Xmas, so I can actually speak, a little bit, from experience. I didn't say I don't like racing games - I said I don't like racing SIMS - like PGR and Gran Turismo. I prefer more arcade style racers like Need For Speed. And I like Japanese RPGs too.

Quote:
Rare sucks? Really? I still know a lot of people who enjoy PD0 and Kameo even almost a year after their initial release. Is it because they were bought up by MS?

No, because most of the people who made the games that they earned their reputation with left. Same as what happened with Squaresoft in Japan.

Quote:
First to get your product out there and build a library by the time the other's get to the arena ... sounds like a smart plan.

Not if you don't have a decent library to start with - and they didn't.

Quote:
The need to go next gen depends on the gamer. If the PS3 sells well then it would be obvious that many people are ready to go there. Since the new consoles can play the old games then it's a win/win situation for PS2 owners.

Yeah, but the PS3 is coming out almost a year after the 360 - and alot of people probably won't get a PS3 for at least a year after that. Another two years from now and I'll be ready as well. And yeah, backwards compatibility is very nice.

Quote:
By that logic you could also say that the PS1 generation could have waited longer for the PS2, but we were so antsy for those Toy Story like graphics ... which were never delivered on. Sorry, but it is time to move on. The PC made leaps in that 5-6 year time frame so it's time for the consoles to as well.

Yeah - but the time from PS1 to PS2 was over five years...closer to six. The usual life cycle of a console up until now was about five years or so. I think it was about four years from the time the Xbox was released until the 360 was launched....maybe four and a half.

Quote:
Nintendo's free online service may suffer from the same problems that face any free multiplayer structure. Who's paying for the server upkeep? Who's hands will the servers be in: the publisher's or the system's company?

I don't know. I don't really care either. As long as the single player component of games is considered most important, I'm happy.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Not if you don't have a decent library to start with - and they didn't.

That's all up to opinion. I enjoyed their launch quite a bit, from Kong all the way down to the less than stellar looking port of GUN.

Quote:
Yeah - but the time from PS1 to PS2 was over five years...closer to six. The usual life cycle of a console up until now was about five years or so. I think it was about four years from the time the Xbox was released until the 360 was launched....maybe four and a half.

Don't forget that Sony is also breaking some console norms with its larger price tag and their attitude that this new system is more for the die hards, they said it not me.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:

Don't forget that Sony is also breaking some console norms with its larger price tag

From the following site

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/fanboy.html

(No, I'm not calling you a fanboy - that's just the name of the article)

...and I know that the $400 XBox and the even-more-expensive PS3 sound outrageous when compared to, say, a jar of pickles at the supermarket. And after all, haven't game machines always been around the $250 mark? Even the original Atari 2600 was priced at $249 when it launched in 1977.

Wait a second... we forgot about inflation. In today's money, that would be $811.

The NES, when adjusted for inflation, came out at $355.

The SEGA Genesis? $390.

Even the PS1 launched in 1995 for $299.99... which is $372 in today's money.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

And how many $500+ game consoles flew that well in the past?
conundrum
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:28 am  Reply with quote

Nephlabobo wrote:
And it's a fair point. But Sony never has strong launch lineups. Neither did the 360 and neither does the Wii.

... is that a joke? I mean, I suppose that you could not like "Zelda," not be impressed at the idea of "Red Steel," and not want to try out Madden with motion controls, but quite frankly Wii has one of the stronger launches in a few generations. For any company.

As far as Sony's pricing vs previous consoles with inflation, you are forgetting something very important. The previous systems did not have cheaper competition. If you could have gotten 80% of NES games on a system 2/3 the price, why not do it? It is not so much that they put on an astronomical price tag, it is the fact that the competition has not. Sony's best logic for this is that it wants people to invest that extra $200 in a technology that might not even take off.

A few price drops, a lot of exclusives, and enough time to iron out the infamous Sony bugs (I know every system has them, I just feel Sony has them worse) and it might be worth buying. But 360 is worth buying now, and arguably so is the Wii.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:23 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
... is that a joke? I mean, I suppose that you could not like "Zelda," not be impressed at the idea of "Red Steel," and not want to try out Madden with motion controls, but quite frankly Wii has one of the stronger launches in a few generations. For any company.

Sorry - I don't consider a game that was supposed to be released over a year ago for a *last* gen system as a strong launch title. Red Steel is wait and see for me. Madden is crap. Always has been, always will be.

conundrum wrote:
As far as Sony's pricing vs previous consoles with inflation, you are forgetting something very important. The previous systems did not have cheaper competition.

Neither did the Neo Geo and people pay insane prices for that.

conundrum wrote:
A few price drops, a lot of exclusives, and enough time to iron out the infamous Sony bugs (I know every system has them, I just feel Sony has them worse) and it might be worth buying. But 360 is worth buying now, and arguably so is the Wii.

I agree with you about the 360. It's starting to be worth buying. The Wii is absolutely not worth buying yet. The Wii is exactly what the PS3 is like. Wait for the library to build up and see what it holds.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah ... the Neo Geo was just such a big seller here in America.