FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Holy shit Return of the Jedi sucks
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Reaper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 400

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!


True that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:35 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1022
Location: On... teh INTERWEB!!1!

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!


Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!


Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.


Thats not sarcasm. I found that light saber battle to be right up there with Vaders and Lukes in Empire. Anakin is out for blood and Obi wan is forced to kill the man who he has thought of as a brother for as long as he's known him. When Anakin is laying down next to the lava burning up screaming I HATE YOU to a saddened Obi wan....man that got to me. That was one of the most emotional scenes in star wars. Jedi? THE FUCKING HELMET IS DUSTY! Takes away from the entire scene. Not to mention Luke has these beady little freaky eyes. Jedi has horrid direction, and the guy couldn't pull emotion out of an actor worth a damn. Jedi has nothing on Revenge.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.


_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:34 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1022
Location: On... teh INTERWEB!!1!

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!


Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.


Thats not sarcasm. I found that light saber battle to be right up there with Vaders and Lukes in Empire. Anakin is out for blood and Obi wan is forced to kill the man who he has thought of as a brother for as long as he's known him. When Anakin is laying down next to the lava burning up screaming I HATE YOU to a saddened Obi wan....man that got to me. That was one of the most emotional scenes in star wars. Jedi? THE FUCKING HELMET IS DUSTY! Takes away from the entire scene. Not to mention Luke has these beady little freaky eyes. Jedi has horrid direction, and the guy couldn't pull emotion out of an actor worth a damn. Jedi has nothing on Revenge.


Fair enough. I felt, despite the fact that the Obi-Wan/Anakin battle contained a few bold scenes with actual actors, Hayden Christenson's horrendous acting was beyond forgiveable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.


What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!


Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.


Thats not sarcasm. I found that light saber battle to be right up there with Vaders and Lukes in Empire. Anakin is out for blood and Obi wan is forced to kill the man who he has thought of as a brother for as long as he's known him. When Anakin is laying down next to the lava burning up screaming I HATE YOU to a saddened Obi wan....man that got to me. That was one of the most emotional scenes in star wars. Jedi? THE FUCKING HELMET IS DUSTY! Takes away from the entire scene. Not to mention Luke has these beady little freaky eyes. Jedi has horrid direction, and the guy couldn't pull emotion out of an actor worth a damn. Jedi has nothing on Revenge.


Fair enough. I felt, despite the fact that the Obi-Wan/Anakin battle contained a few bold scenes with actual actors, Hayden Christenson's horrendous acting was beyond forgiveable.


You're letting the bad taste of the past two films make your opinion. Look at that scene alone on its own merit and it's all there. He has one shitty line in the beginning and then its all physical acting from there.

And Hayden Christian is a good actor, he just isn't good working with a green screen or George Lucas.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luke Vader
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:38 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 51

Weeping Christ on a crutch, I dont even know where to begin...

I've grown up on Star Wars...My earliest memory of seeing a movie in a theater was me sitting on my Aunt's lap and asking her if Vader was really Luke's dad...So having said that, I tend to cut SW alot of slack (maybe even too much) when it comes to film making and everything involved with it...

Looking back at Jedi, I cant really defend shitty acting, Lucas' shitty directing, or Ewok's...All I can honestly defend now is Leia in a metal bikini, Han grabbing a handful of Leia boob, and the end sequence with Vader's redemption...Otherwise, it's my least favorite of the saga and my lack of all out hatred for it boils down to nostalgia rather than content...

2 more things...

Sirand wrote:
All the Jabba and Luke/Vader scenes are some of the best stuff in the entire series.


Atomic_Ilk wrote:
The luke/vader fight in Empire is where it's at.


Indeed I was fucking brilliant, eh?

And did anyone else notice the over abundance of dust on Vader's helmet in Jedi? Goddammit that was annoying...

Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Luke Vader wrote:


Looking back at Jedi, I cant really defend shitty acting, Lucas' shitty directing,


Good thing, since Lucas didn't direct it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:56 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4003
Location: Hollyweird

Actually, Lucas directed the bulk of it. Richard Marquand was fired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:59 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Sirand wrote:
Actually, Lucas directed the bulk of it. Richard Marquand was fired.


Then why didn't get take "credit"? And please link me to this because it's the first I've heard of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finnegan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:34 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 223
Location: san francisco, california

I guess I'm in disagreement with most of you. I don't think ANY of the new films are superior in any way to the old ones.
_________________
The darkest places in Hell are reserved for those, who in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:07 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

Luke Vader wrote:



And did anyone else notice the over abundance of dust on Vader's helmet in Jedi? Goddammit that was annoying...

Very Happy


I can't tell if your mocking me or just stating the most annoying thing in jedi that bothers me the most. Laughing
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aaron Krueger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:09 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 364
Location: 1428 Elm Street

I grew up on the original trilogy. I liked "Jedi." The whole begininng of the film is great,with Jabba and Luke. The middle of the film drags a bit and I don't much care for the Ewoks,but I LOVED the ending between Luke,Vader and the Emperor. Overall,I think the film is a very good sequel and I'd give it thumbs up for sure.
_________________
www.myspace.com/nightmare84
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
flashback
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 234
Location: indianapolis, indiana

Aaron Krueger wrote:
I grew up on the original trilogy. I liked "Jedi." The whole begininng of the film is great,with Jabba and Luke. The middle of the film drags a bit and I don't much care for the Ewoks,but I LOVED the ending between Luke,Vader and the Emperor. Overall,I think the film is a very good sequel and I'd give it thumbs up for sure.


at least one other person thinks like I do.
_________________
we can`t stop here. this is bat country.

zombies , they creep me out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum