FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Holy shit Return of the Jedi sucks
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.

What about Anakin and Obi Wan in Sith? Right there is your emotion!
The Reaper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I am not normally one to stick up for "Phantom Menace" (or generally any "Star Wars" movie), but it had the best fight scene (at least as far as choreography, not necessarily emotion) of the series. Yoda fighting is laughable. Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn fighting like they really mean it? Nice.

True that!
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:

Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:

I might say that the lightsaber battles in "Empire" and "Jedi" are pretty high on emotion. Jedi might have more emotion in all honesty with Luke and Vader both being visibly conflicted in their feelings, but I liked the climax of "Empire" better.

Thats not sarcasm. I found that light saber battle to be right up there with Vaders and Lukes in Empire. Anakin is out for blood and Obi wan is forced to kill the man who he has thought of as a brother for as long as he's known him. When Anakin is laying down next to the lava burning up screaming I HATE YOU to a saddened Obi wan....man that got to me. That was one of the most emotional scenes in star wars. Jedi? THE FUCKING HELMET IS DUSTY! Takes away from the entire scene. Not to mention Luke has these beady little freaky eyes. Jedi has horrid direction, and the guy couldn't pull emotion out of an actor worth a damn. Jedi has nothing on Revenge.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:

Thats not sarcasm. I found that light saber battle to be right up there with Vaders and Lukes in Empire. Anakin is out for blood and Obi wan is forced to kill the man who he has thought of as a brother for as long as he's known him. When Anakin is laying down next to the lava burning up screaming I HATE YOU to a saddened Obi wan....man that got to me. That was one of the most emotional scenes in star wars. Jedi? THE FUCKING HELMET IS DUSTY! Takes away from the entire scene. Not to mention Luke has these beady little freaky eyes. Jedi has horrid direction, and the guy couldn't pull emotion out of an actor worth a damn. Jedi has nothing on Revenge.

Fair enough. I felt, despite the fact that the Obi-Wan/Anakin battle contained a few bold scenes with actual actors, Hayden Christenson's horrendous acting was beyond forgiveable.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
conundrum wrote:

Fair enough. I felt, despite the fact that the Obi-Wan/Anakin battle contained a few bold scenes with actual actors, Hayden Christenson's horrendous acting was beyond forgiveable.

You're letting the bad taste of the past two films make your opinion. Look at that scene alone on its own merit and it's all there. He has one shitty line in the beginning and then its all physical acting from there.

And Hayden Christian is a good actor, he just isn't good working with a green screen or George Lucas.
Luke Vader
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:38 am  Reply with quote

Weeping Christ on a crutch, I dont even know where to begin...

I've grown up on Star Wars...My earliest memory of seeing a movie in a theater was me sitting on my Aunt's lap and asking her if Vader was really Luke's dad...So having said that, I tend to cut SW alot of slack (maybe even too much) when it comes to film making and everything involved with it...

Looking back at Jedi, I cant really defend shitty acting, Lucas' shitty directing, or Ewok's...All I can honestly defend now is Leia in a metal bikini, Han grabbing a handful of Leia boob, and the end sequence with Vader's redemption...Otherwise, it's my least favorite of the saga and my lack of all out hatred for it boils down to nostalgia rather than content...

2 more things...

Sirand wrote:
All the Jabba and Luke/Vader scenes are some of the best stuff in the entire series.

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
The luke/vader fight in Empire is where it's at.

Indeed I was fucking brilliant, eh?

And did anyone else notice the over abundance of dust on Vader's helmet in Jedi? Goddammit that was annoying...

Very Happy
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:46 am  Reply with quote

Luke Vader wrote:

Looking back at Jedi, I cant really defend shitty acting, Lucas' shitty directing,

Good thing, since Lucas didn't direct it.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:56 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Actually, Lucas directed the bulk of it. Richard Marquand was fired.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:59 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Actually, Lucas directed the bulk of it. Richard Marquand was fired.

Then why didn't get take "credit"? And please link me to this because it's the first I've heard of it.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:34 am  Reply with quote

I guess I'm in disagreement with most of you. I don't think ANY of the new films are superior in any way to the old ones.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:07 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Luke Vader wrote:

And did anyone else notice the over abundance of dust on Vader's helmet in Jedi? Goddammit that was annoying...

Very Happy

I can't tell if your mocking me or just stating the most annoying thing in jedi that bothers me the most. Laughing
Aaron Krueger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:09 am  Reply with quote

I grew up on the original trilogy. I liked "Jedi." The whole begininng of the film is great,with Jabba and Luke. The middle of the film drags a bit and I don't much care for the Ewoks,but I LOVED the ending between Luke,Vader and the Emperor. Overall,I think the film is a very good sequel and I'd give it thumbs up for sure.
flashback
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Aaron Krueger wrote:
I grew up on the original trilogy. I liked "Jedi." The whole begininng of the film is great,with Jabba and Luke. The middle of the film drags a bit and I don't much care for the Ewoks,but I LOVED the ending between Luke,Vader and the Emperor. Overall,I think the film is a very good sequel and I'd give it thumbs up for sure.

at least one other person thinks like I do.

zombies , they creep me out.