FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> X FROM OUTER SPACE on Turner Classic Movies tonight!
Foywonder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

If you've never seen THE X FROM OUTER SPACE then you need to either stay up late tonight or set your VCR, DVD, Tivo, whatever for tonight because Guilala is coming to Turner Classic Movies. I've you never seen what is possibly the goofiest looking movie monster of all time lay waste to Japan in one of the silliest giant monster movies ever then you're in for a real treat.

In 1967, Japanese film studio Shochiku Films looked around at all the money rivals Toho and Daiei were making with their respective Godzilla and Gamera films and decided they wanted in on the lucrative daikaiju genre. Thus THE X FROM OUTER SPACE was born. It would be their first and last daikaiju movie. Retro futuristic cosmonauts encounter one of the most ridiculous looking flying saucers ever and bring an alien spore back to Earth. Not a good idea because from that spore comes the monster Guilala. Body wise, Guilala looks like a cross between a chicken, a dinosaur, and The Michelin Man. Its head looks like the head of one of the monsters from PITCH BLACK if it were to be dried out like a raisin; then you stick on it a chickenís beak, Ultramanís eyes, bobbling antennas, and whatever the hell that was on the head of Snork. Put it all in a blender and hit frappe and you get Guilala. It goes on to do what every other giant monster does when in Japan before finally suffering a shaving cream demise that looks like a college prank gone wrong.

I'll admit the movie is bit slow at first; Guilala doesn't appear until about 40-minutes in, but once it does the movie is a hoot and a half. And to fill in that slow period I've invented THE X FROM OUTER SPACE CLAPPING GAME. Every single time someone says the name of their spacecraft - AAB-GAMMA: clap. I would turn it into a drinking game but then you'd be passed out drunk before Guilala ever shows up. Considering how fast and frequent the saying of AAB-GAMMA comes, there's a good chance you could drown. Just stick to clapping. Your hands will probably start bleeding though.

THE X FROM OUTER SPACE:
Sunday, October 8 at 2:00 am EST/11:00 pm PST

Lustmord
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 am  Reply with quote

I'll check it out..I'm always up late anyways.
Goofy looking monster movies can be entertaining