FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Six Degrees
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Did anyone see this show?

It was basically the whole episodic thing once again played to drama.

The cast is utterly amazing.

Hope Davis, Campbell Scott, Erika Christensen, Jay Hernandez, and Bridget Moynahan.

With such a great cast, I hope it only gets better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:32 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

It already started? It's one I wanted to check out, but I'm having a hard time keeping all the new stuff straight as far as which night and network they're on.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
It already started? It's one I wanted to check out, but I'm having a hard time keeping all the new stuff straight as far as which night and network they're on.

It's a very good show!

You should try to catch the repeat. It seems to be going somewhere with this concept, but I'm not sure where, just yet. It has different sub plots but very good performances, as would be expected with a cast like this.

I hope it stays on for a while.

And I'm having trouble with the new shows too.

I have the EW fall preview, if you want to know when a show is on, I'll look it up for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I absolutely detested this, from Jay Hernandez's horrendously cutesy narration to Erika Chistensen's typical Z-grade performance (no surprise, as she's one of the single worst actresses around) to the incredibly dull and gimmicky premise. The pilot was cliched, formulaic, poorly written garbage, and the only positive I can find is that it gave Hope Davis a paycheck.

I predict well-deserved cancellation long before the halfway point.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

I loved it.

But high concept shows DO in fact see a short shelf life, that's true.

But I always say anything with Hope Davis and Campbell Scott can't be ALL too bad.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
I loved it.

Which proves that even you are fallible. Razz

Terminal wrote:
But high concept shows DO in fact see a short shelf life, that's true.

High concept, my ass. More like an old, by-the-numbers concept stretched out to fill a show that is nothing more than a lame, Spelling-esque primetime soap. Worse yet, J.J. Abrams is already cannibalizing from LOST, which uses the whole issue of human connectivity in a much more compelling fashion during its flashback scenes.

The real reason this''ll have a short shelf life is due to the poorly thought-out premise, thin characterization and lame dialogue.

Terminal wrote:
But I always say anything with Hope Davis and Campbell Scott can't be ALL too bad.

I'll give you Hope Davis, certainly. But even she can't make lemonade out of this lemon of a show.

And my prediction of cancellation because of plain old viewer disinterest stands.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Which proves that even you are fallible. Razz

No, no Mr. Right. This proves that you're not a fan of high taste. Very Happy

Messiahman wrote:
High concept, my ass. More like an old, by-the-numbers concept stretched out to fill a show that is nothing more than a lame, Spelling-esque primetime soap.

Spelling-esque? Where did you get that from? It's episodic in that it seems to be connecting these people like some sort of "Crash" scenario, and seems to be going somewhere with this whole six degrees thing. I didn't think it was by the numbers and far from cliche, but we differ on this show, obviously,

Messiahman wrote:
Worse yet, J.J. Abrams is already cannibalizing from LOST, which uses the whole issue of human connectivity in a much more compelling fashion during its flashback scenes.

Well, how is that old? Lost is only about four years old, correct?

Messiahman wrote:
The real reason this''ll have a short shelf life is due to the poorly thought-out premise, thin characterization and lame dialogue.

I disagree. I thought the characterization was being paced for the show's run, and the dialogue was just fine. The premise IS vague, but I think they're saving that for future episodes... IF it's given future episodes.

Messiahman wrote:
I'll give you Hope Davis, certainly. But even she can't make lemonade out of this lemon of a show.

I'll fight you to the death on this, but Campbell Scott is an excellent actor. One of the best of our generation. To quote Papi on "Seinfeld": On this issue, there can be no a debate!

Scott and Davis have magic when they're on-screen together. And it's not a surprise they're in almost every movie together.

But then there's also Moynahan and Hernandez whom I enjoyed.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
No, no Mr. Right. This proves that you're not a fan of high taste. Very Happy

I taste just fine, thank you very much. Oh, wait...

Terminal wrote:
Spelling-esque? Where did you get that from? It's episodic in that it seems to be connecting these people like some sort of "Crash" scenario, and seems to be going somewhere with this whole six degrees thing. I didn't think it was by the numbers and far from cliche, but we differ on this show, obviously,

It’s filled with the same soap operatic elements we’ve seen a thousand times before in Spelling’s shows – the fugitive girl-on-the-run, the faux heart-tugging dissolution of marriage and family, the good man flirting with the bad gangsta life, etc. all wrapped up in typical melodrama and even capped off with a montage scene set to cheesy soft rock. Seriously…a montage! Laughing

Messiahman wrote:
Well, how is that old? Lost is only about four years old, correct?

You misread. I didn’t say that LOST pioneered the concept; indeed, it goes back much further than that. LOST, however, did use the concept much more interestingly, in that the strange connections between its characters are obviously tied into the larger story of why they’re on that island. But those connections are thankfully not the central focus. As a central conceit, it’s way too weak a premise to hang a show on.

Messiahman wrote:
I disagree. I thought the characterization was being paced for the show's run, and the dialogue was just fine. The premise IS vague, but I think they're saving that for future episodes... IF it's given future episodes.

They’re stock characters to the last. And the dialogue was filled with plenty of groaners; Erika Christensen’s laughable explanation for indecent exposure comes to mind, when she waxes on hysterically about the lights and sounds of the city coming to life and how she so desperately wanted to be a part of it. I think I'm gonna be sick. Oh no!

As for the premise, it’s a metaphysical macguffin – the show is a soap opera no matter how you look at it. Same old same old. Yawn.

Messiahman wrote:
I'll fight you to the death on this, but Campbell Scott is an excellent actor. One of the best of our generation. To quote Papi on "Seinfeld": On this issue, there can be no a debate!

I like Scott just fine, though I don’t know that I necessarily agree with the whole “best of our generation” thing. But I certainly enjoyed THE SECRET LIVES OF DENTISTS, in any case.

Last edited by Messiahman on Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I taste just fine, thank you very much. Oh, wait...

I like you, you're silly!

Messiahman wrote:
It’s filled with the same soap operatic elements we’ve seen a thousand times before in Spelling’s shows – the fugitive girl-on-the-run, the faux heart-tugging dissolution of marriage and family, the good man flirting with the bad gangsta life, etc. all wrapped up in typical melodrama and even capped off with a montage scene set to cheesy soft rock. Seriously…a montage! Laughing

You make solid points, I have to admit.

But I still enjoy it, and no one hates montages more than I do.

Messiahman wrote:
You misread. I didn’t say that LOST pioneered the concept ; indeed the concept goes back much further than that. LOST, however, did use the concept much more interestingly, in that the strange connections between its characters are obviously tied into the larger story of why they’re on that island. But those connections are thankfully not the central focus. As a central conceit, it’s way too weak a premise to hang a show on.

Again, more solid points.

Messiahman wrote:
They’re stock characters to the last. And the dialogue was filled with plenty of groaners; Erika Christensen’s laughable explanation for indecent exposure comes to mind, when she waxes on hysterically about the lights and sounds of the city coming to life and how she so desperately wanted to be a part of it.

Hah. You make a good point, but alas, I still enjoyed this show.

Messiahman wrote:
As for the premise, it’s a metaphysical macguffin – the show is a soap opera no matter how you look at it. Same old same old. Yawn.

I disagree, but you're not without your solid points.

Messiahman wrote:
I like Scott just fine, though I don’t know that I necessarily agree with the whole “best of our generation” thing. But I certainly enjoyed THE SECRET LIVES OF DENTISTS, in any case.
]

You misread.

I said ONE of the best of our generation you festigio.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
You make solid points, I have to admit.

Again, more solid points.

Hah. You make a good point, but alas, I still enjoyed this show.

I disagree, but you're not without your solid points.

I am a man of many points. Call me...Mr. Pointy.

Terminal wrote:
You misread.

I said ONE of the best of our generation you festigio.

Well, he's no Rhett Giles or Jeff Denton, but still... Mr. Green
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
I am a man of many points. Call me...Mr. Pointy.

Which is it, Mr. Right, or Mr. Pointy? Flip Flopper.

Messiahman wrote:
Well, he's no Rhett Giles or Jeff Denton, but still... Mr. Green

Laughing

Regardless, I think it's a great show, and I'll watch it until it's ends or is cancelled.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:55 am  Reply with quote

I often forget how cute/sexy Shiri Appleby is.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'm gradually losing interest in this show, I'm sad to admit.

I'm only continuing to watch this because of my utter lust for Hope Davis.

I said lust, yes.