FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Drawing Blood -> Lord Cthulu
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:10 am  Reply with quote

I didn't forget.

Normally I work with puppets but it was a lot of fun to build a statue. I thought it would be easier ya know. Quicker to put something together. I was wrong. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Anyways, here's a link to a work in progress. This was the status as of a week ago, there's been more progress since and in fact the sculpt is done and I (if not for being sick) should have it mounted to a base and ready to paint tomorrow.

Since the photos are hosted on our puppeteer guild's website I can't caption them but they are pretty self-explanatory. They begin with a wooden and posable frame that I built up with some foam, foil and tape before sculpting in Scupty, super sculpy and scuply 3 depending on the detail I was going for.

http://tcpuppet.org/webshows/cfsculp0906/index.htm
lethaldread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:17 am  Reply with quote

Location: I only know words like good and ball............ and rape.

Nice. I like the fact that he is wearing some clothes and a belt. I need to pick up a craft of some sort.
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
6. RingoJ talking about "some toon pr0n"
7. Sports talk

"They Fucked with the wrong Mexican."
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Oh it's not supposed to be the big guy himself. At least with the liberties I took. I made it for someone here on this site. Here's a little blog blurb I did on myspace to explain...

Christianity a bore? Islam just doesn't have what you're looking for? Hindu isn't 'in you'?

We've all been there. But how would you like to join in on an exciting fresh take on an ancient evil religion? Excited? You should be! Don't be caught napping when the terrible sunken city of R'lyeh rises from the Pacific ocean and dread Cthulhu arises to destroy all mankind. Call today- A dedicated Deep One staff member is standing by to take your call.

As a special gift to anyone joining today we are proud to offer this crude but hopefully effective statue by local puppeteer Gus Bjork who's drunken stupor made him an easy target for the horrible mind controlling worms we implanted in his ear. The name of the piece is "No Photo" and, when complete, will depict a Deep One with an eerie resemblance to the long slumbering high priest of the Great Old Ones, about to meet his blind date Dana. Our Deep One here is just thrilled to the gills that online dating is such a great way to spread his grisly mutated seed into the human race. And Dana's just sick and tired of the big mouthed no guts Internet gigolos. She longs to meet a good old-fashioned man. Boy, does she ever! Gus just wrote this little piece as an aid to his sculpting but we think the sentiment sure is swell! Here's a link to the work in progress. We'll be updating soon!

Just remember folk...

Cthulhu fhtagn!
RingoJ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am  Reply with quote

That's good stuff.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:22 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Very impressive, man. Ever thought of getting your Harryheusen on? That thing woud look pretty amazing in stop-motion.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I did a lot of stop motion in high school and a little at the U of M but not any more. It takes so long to do and there's not really much a call for it anymore. But thank you.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Well, bring it back, god damn it! Done right, any antiquated technique can become a fringe market. Personally, I think it's high time we had a resurgence in clay-mation. All this Shrek shit got old... pretty much as soon as it came out.

Or, don't take my advice.

Seriously, though... could you make a muppet Hunter S. Thompson? 'Cuz that'd be cool.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

There are people who are pushing ahead with stop motion. I thought Corpse Bride and WereRabbit were two of my favorite films from last year. As well as the WETA guys who had a lot of fun with it. It would be fun to make a stop motion puppet again but I don't have the time to spend animating it. Besides I enjoy giving live performances. My goal is to produce a Grand Guignol puppet show sometime in 2008, complete with the ultra-violence, nudity and sex. No ones really looked into doing live horror in a puppet theater. Maybe there is a good reason for that though.

I'm not much in the muppet style I'm afraid. But pretty much everybody else is Rolling Eyes (there can be too much of a good thing). In that photo I posted recently I'm holding the beginings of a hand mouth foam puppet (or muppet). We were practicing mouth hand coordination and the look on my face sincerely expresses how I felt about the process.

But if you would like I can get you in touch with someone who could make a Hunter S Thomson muppet.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Eh. Not that important. Just throwing ideas out there.
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:02 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm feelin' faint.
lethaldread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

How much does a custom made muppet cost?
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
7. Sports talk

Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

It depends. For amatuers like me probably not much. There's a company called One Way Street that I think will do custom muppets..I am not sure what they charge but you can find them on the net. But be forwarned that they are a Christian organization....

If you want me to ask some amatuers I know just PM me and I can scope some stuff out for you...just let me know what you would like.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Ugh...my first statue...done. Gus tired.

What your gonna see is me with my lil' Pinhead guy I won at the Roadshow Auction, the infamous Paul looting the Guild treasury, an Octopusfishturtle thing that was originally part of the Bubba Cthulu sculpt (under the base never to be seen in full as a joke no one but me would get-something Prof Cohen (Joel and Ethan Cohen's mom) turned me onto in Art Apprection class) you see it a little. And Lord Cthulu's little helper frog Grigsby...I kinda went crazy toward the end and turned the whole thing into a Disney musical..I wrote a little story in my head and a song for Grigsby that advocates simply laying his evil seed in women and not to fall in love...

http://tcpuppet.org/webshows/Bubbawebshow/index.htm
lethaldread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

The frog is a nice touch, Great work man.
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
7. Sports talk

Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Awsome work my friend! I agree!