FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> NBC Universal Launches Horror Channel - Chiller - March 1st
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:51 am  Reply with quote

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957250.html?categoryid=1238&cs=1&p=0

It'll be cool to see all of those old shows and I hope they dig deep into the vaults of their content providers. But I have to remember to temper my excitement just a tad when I see what NBC Universal's done with SCI FI through the years, Battlestar Galactica and the occasional miniseries excluded. Hopefully Chiller can avoid that and it will as long as Bonnie Hammer's nowhere near it.

Also http://www.chillernetwork.com currently redirects to http://www.nbc.com.

The official website, however, is http://wwww.chillertv.com.

Thoughts?

Last edited by FilmCritic3000 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Being a DirecTV subscriber, I absolutely cannot wait for this.

And the fact that they've got TWIN PEAKS on the roster makes them far cooler than any other horror channel wannabe out there.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

And within 5 years it will have completely changed into a horror-themed version of what the Sci-Fi Channel currently is. Enjoy it while it lasts.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
And within 5 years it will have completely changed into a horror-themed version of what the Sci-Fi Channel currently is. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ah, Foy why ya gots to bring reality into this? You're thinking what I'm thinking but I was trying to remain civil. Mr. Green

Just like SCI FI when it started, Chiller will initially run series and movies from the vault that we haven't seen in a while that we'll all be geeking out over. Your point is very valid unfortunately. But until that melancholy day in 2013 when Chiller starts airing WWE Fear Fights and Who Wants To Be A Serial Killer?, I'll bask in the manna this provides for the time being.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:

That's still a five-year gap where I'll get to see things like DARKROOM, WEREWOLF, NIGHTMARE CAFE and MANIMAL again.

When it ultimately starts screening Extreme Wrestling shows, Lifetime-esque thrillers and marathons of MEDIUM, I'll still have had my fill of the good stuff.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

That's still a five-year gap where I'll get to see things like DARKROOM, WEREWOLF, NIGHTMARE CAFE and MANIMAL again.

When it ultimately starts screening Extreme Wrestling shows, Lifetime-esque thrillers and marathons of MEDIUM, I'll still have had my fill of the good stuff.

I'm right there with you messiahman.

Darkroom had one of the best opening title sequences.
What The Cat Dragged In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

This sounds pretty interesting. I don't have DirectTV, though, so I hope it ends up branching out. But yeah, you guys are right: It will most likely turn into the Sigh-Fi Channel within a few years.
value
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:26 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Sci Fi has certainly had their share of bumps along the way but they are getting a few more things right these days than they have in a long time.

the Battlestar series is one of the best things on tv, and Universal has been doing horror for much longer than sci fi, So maybe they know a bit more about how to handle it?

then again they may just dump more wrestling onto the channel and call it quits for the year.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

value wrote:
Sci Fi has certainly had their share of bumps along the way but they are getting a few more things right these days than they have in a long time.

the Battlestar series is one of the best things on tv, and Universal has been doing horror for much longer than sci fi, So maybe they know a bit more about how to handle it?

then again they may just dump more wrestling onto the channel and call it quits for the year.

There's a veritable treasure trove of classic horror movies in NBC Universal's vault and I hope they put them all on Chiller.
Last Resort Man
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Glad an actual channel for horror is getting on the air finally
I think every kid has accidentally stabbed an unpleasant relative to death and then shoved the body into a conveniently-placed woodchipper at least once in their lives. It’s a common “coming of age” moment that everyone can relate to.
Sifu Scott
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Nipples

Last Resort Man wrote:
Well said! Well said! Well said!

Amen, preach it!
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading to high def, so this is all very welcome and well timed for me. Since they branched out and licensed from other companies, it seems like they're very serious about this project. Did they take similar steps when the Sci-fi channel launched all those years ago?
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:55 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Last Resort Man wrote:

What about Monsters HD?
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
I'm currently in the process of upgrading to high def, so this is all very welcome and well timed for me. Since they branched out and licensed from other companies, it seems like they're very serious about this project. Did they take similar steps when the Sci-fi channel launched all those years ago?

Well, they didn't have anything to do with SCI FI's launch back in 1992 when it was The Sci-Fi Channel. The channel was started by USA Networks, which of course also owned USA Network. Barry Diller sold the company to Universal in 2001 or so. Then General Electric (via NBC) purchased 80% of the company, with Vivendi Universal owning the remaining 20% and in May 2004, NBC Universal was formed.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

FINALLY! It's about time something good comes the way of us DirectTV subscribers. I'm so sick of hearing about MonstersHD and other channels I can't get.

I just got into an argument with some assclown at DTV last month. All of a sudden my bill went up 10 bucks. I've had HD service for 6 months and never paid a dime for it. I "thought" because I had the Platinum service it was included, well apparently not. They told me I had a free 4 month preview and that's why I wasn't charged. I said, but I've had it for 6 damn months not 4 without being charged. One would naturally assume when you are playing $120 bucks a month for the best package, everything was included. Never assume anything.

The moral of the story: DirectTV only has about 7 HD channels and now charges 10 bucks more a month regardless of WHATEVER package you have, the worst or the best. They don't even offer HD locals in my area.

If they can charge 10 bucks for 7 channels now, what do you think they will raise it to when they supposedly add 100 more later in the year (not to mention everyone will need to upgrade to a bigger dish to view the added satellites). Confused