FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Dexter
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do

Showtime has ordered 12 episodes of an unusual one-hour crime thriller series, DEXTER, starring Emmy®- and Golden Globe®- nominated actor Michael C. Hall ("Six Feet Under"), it was announced by Robert Greenblatt, Showtime President of Entertainment. The series follows Dexter Morgan (Hall), an incredibly likeable forensics expert for the Miami Metro Police Department, who moonlights as a serial killer with a penchant for inflicting his own unusual brand of justice – he kills people who truly deserve it.

"Dexter is the unusual exploration into the mind of a sociopathic killer – whom, in spite of his vigilante justice, the audience will find incredibly sympathetic and charismatic," said Greenblatt. "The power of this show, and the strength of Michael C. Hall's brilliant acting, is what sets it apart from anything else on television and makes it perfect for SHOWTIME. I'm thrilled to be reunited with Michael, after working together on ‘Six Feet Under.'"

James Manos Jr. wrote the teleplay for the pilot (Emmy® Award for writing "The Sopranos"). John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton ("Live from Baghdad," "The Painted Veil"), and John Manos Jr. will executive produce the series. Former "Six Feet Under" helmer and acclaimed independent film director Michael Cuesta ("L.I.E.," "Twelve and Holding") directed the pilot.

Along with Hall, the series stars Jennifer Carpenter ("The Exorcism of Emily Rose"), Lauren Velez ("New York Undercover"), Julie Benz ("Jawbreaker"), Erik King ("National Treasure"), David Zayas ("The Interpreter") and James Remar ("Sex and the City"). Set to begin production in late spring, the series is scheduled to debut October 2006 and will be shot on location in Miami.

DEXTER is based on the compelling novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, a South Florida native. Orphaned at the age of four and harboring a traumatic secret, Dexter is adopted by a police officer who recognizes Dexter's homicidal tendencies and guides his son to channel his gruesome passion for human vivisection in a constructive way - by killing those heinous perpetrators that are above the law or who have slipped through the cracks of justice. A respected member of the police force, a perfect gentleman and a man with a soft spot for children, it's hard not to like Dexter. Although his drive to kill is unflinching, he struggles to emulate normal emotions he doesn't feel, and to keep up his appearance as a caring, socially responsible human being.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Being a huge fan of the two novels, I've been anxiously awaiting this for some time. Some folks I know that've seen the pilot have described it as being twisted, scary and disturbing. Not to mention the fact that Michael C. Hall is a terrific actor.

Can't wait to see Dexter and his "dark passenger" brought to life.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Some folks I know that've seen the pilot have described it as being twisted, scary and disturbing.

one of the few new shows I am looking forward to seeing.
horrorqueen85
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Sorry Tobe the sad part is I looked for this as well...see age does impair sight hahah.

I am just as excited for this as well...It has a great premise I think.... I just hope they can do it well. I remember reading a vampire novel that I always thought would make a good show as well...were the vampire only kills killers...kind of reminds me of this in a sense but of course this is different.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:32 am  Reply with quote

Hopefully, this will stick as close to the books as possible, e.g. Dexter's disdain for blood (his kills are much more sly) his complete lack of emotion, etc.

Can't wait.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone else see the Pilot episode online yet?
http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/sneakpeek/home.do
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

While it does kind've feel like American Psycho: The Series, I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. I think this one will shape up to be a class show.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Not a BIG fan of watching things on the computer.

So I'll wait for the pilot next week.

Can't wait for the review on DC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've seen a screener of the first three episodes -- it's morbidly funny stuff with decently developed characters. Jennifer Carpenter, in particular, is quite interesting, as is Dexter's twisted relationship with Julie Benz. Michael C. Hall is just as terrific here as he was on SIX FEET UNDER; this guy's the real deal. I'm quite curious to see how the show develops. It's a mix of both episodic and serialized storytelling. Hope the quality of the rest of the series matches these first three.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I can't wait for this one! I did watch the preview thingy on On Demand but am saving myself for the real deal on TV rather than doing the d/l thing.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=516
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I've just heard some pretty distressing news. It seems that Showtime has their own ideas for the show -- they apparently want it to skew much more toward comedy. To that end, they've fired showrunner Jim Manos, former SHIELD and SOPRANOS writer who wrote the first batch of DEXTER'S episodes and instilled the show with the black sensibility it has in the early going. This is not promising at all. Changing both the staff and tone of the show could likely cripple it.

Last edited by Messiahman on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:57 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

That's terrible news.

Fuckin' Showtime.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

Typical Showtime Bullshit.

Can't even create a proper horror show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Johnny Truant
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

I read the first Dexter novel....I wasn't aware the second one is out now. Guess I need to get to the library.