FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Dexter
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The fact that they've fleshed out the secondary characters as much as they have makes me VERY interested to see how closely they are sticking to the first book... which so far they have been preeeeety well.

I haven't read the second one yet though... I'm still waiting for it to come in.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
lethaldread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Location: I only know words like good and ball............ and rape.

Aww man, season is almot over! ARGHH!
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
6. RingoJ talking about "some toon pr0n"
7. Sports talk

"They Fucked with the wrong Mexican."
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Terminal wrote:
It was a very good episode, just not as good as the others. It felt off.

I thought it was equal to the rest. As for the "off" feeling -- that's exactly how it should have been. Dexter was out of his element and surrounded by busybodies. First he was going to be on his own dealing with things, then Rita invited herself, and then Deb and Rudy show up, totally fucking up his Chi. Of course it's off because Dex himself is a fish out of water for the whole episode. Otherwise, he surely would have picked up on what the neighbor lady was saying at the end. He's always much more aware of what's going on around him than that.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Terminal wrote:

I thought it was equal to the rest. As for the "off" feeling -- that's exactly how it should have been. Dexter was out of his element and surrounded by busybodies. First he was going to be on his own dealing with things, then Rita invited herself, and then Deb and Rudy show up, totally fucking up his Chi. Of course it's off because Dex himself is a fish out of water for the whole episode. Otherwise, he surely would have picked up on what the neighbor lady was saying at the end. He's always much more aware of what's going on around him than that.

Wow, wonderful point.

I'm rewatching the episode, you put things into perspective.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
The Woman In Black wrote:
Terminal wrote:

Wow, wonderful point.

I'm rewatching the episode, you put things into perspective.

Wink

Ill do the same. Good point Deb.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:47 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Atomic_Ilk wrote:

But lets juts lookat it logically.

Dexter specializes in blood splatter. He loves looking at blood.

And how about this.....

HE COLLECTS THEIR BLOOD AS TROPHYS!

If he hated blood, if he really hated blood....would he really be specializing in blood splatter, and collecting his victims blood?

If you can answer that logically I'll drop it. But it doesn't make any sense to me otherwise.

Well, I'll address it as logically and from the root as I can... from Dexter's own words in the book (in which he was a blood spatter analyst who took blood samples on glass slides as trophies of his victims and who, in his own words loathed blood): "I do my job to make order out of chaos. To force the nasty blood stains to behave properly, and then go away." .... Or, as Meridian pointed out, to categorize and analyze it... to file deduce it's patterns and meanings and trajectories, and then file it away.... to control something that makes him feel out of control and helpless.... I could get more logical, psychological even, but I don't want to spoil anything for you. Wink

reno
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote

the best thing about this episode was seeing the two guys during the dance sequence. the way they were both filmed with the knifes, the bags, the tapes... to make them feel like killers, the same way they do with the opening sequence, was genious.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:15 am  Reply with quote

reno wrote:
the best thing about this episode was seeing the two guys during the dance sequence. the way they were both filmed with the knifes, the bags, the tapes... to make them feel like killers, the same way they do with the opening sequence, was genious.

Boy I must have been off last night, because I just didn't notice THAT.

Thanks Reno.

Fuck it, I'm re-watching the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Horror Chic wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

And how about this.....

If he hated blood, if he really hated blood....would he really be specializing in blood splatter, and collecting his victims blood?

If you can answer that logically I'll drop it. But it doesn't make any sense to me otherwise.

Well, I'll address it as logically and from the root as I can... from Dexter's own words in the book (in which he was a blood spatter analyst who took blood samples on glass slides as trophies of his victims and who, in his own words loathed blood): "I do my job to make order out of chaos. To force the nasty blood stains to behave properly, and then go away." .... Or, as Meridian pointed out, to categorize and analyze it... to file deduce it's patterns and meanings and trajectories, and then file it away.... to control something that makes him feel out of control and helpless.... I could get more logical, psychological even, but I don't want to spoil anything for you. Wink

I think we're both working towards the same thing here. In other words we're both right. He loves blood in the sense that it helps him calm himself..but he hates the chaos that stems from it.

I love the ocean..lvoe everything about it...but it fucking scares the shit out of me and I wouldn't go out more than 12ft alone.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

And how about this.....

I think we're both working towards the same thing here. In other words we're both right. He loves blood in the sense that it helps him calm himself..but he hates the chaos that stems from it.

I love the ocean..lvoe everything about it...but it fucking scares the shit out of me and I wouldn't go out more than 12ft alone.

Well, no.... but I'll let it go, because like I said, to go any further I would have to explain something in Dexter's past that's a rather big thing that would be a rather huge spoiler for you..., and I don't want to ruin it.

The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Horror Chic wrote:
from Dexter's own words in the book (in which he was a blood spatter analyst who took blood samples on glass slides as trophies of his victims and who, in his own words loathed blood)

I never read the book, but it's been my understanding from the beginning that he "hates" blood. Maybe I read in an early Showtime press release? Whatever the source, I think it's the perfect setup for the story. A guy who works in blood all day and can just barely tolerate it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

He sure likes looking at it for hating it so much.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

He likes to feel in control, just like Meridian said. He doesn't like the blood itself. He thinks it's messy, sticky, and confusing.

He does his job of looking at the blood, investigating the blood spatter, because he wants to make it make sense and go away, to make that feeling of not being in control go away. At this point in the juncture, Dexter doesn't even really know why that is. No one does (unless you've read the book).

He isn't working in blood spatter because he loves blood... he's working there because for the same reason someone who's afraid of heights goes skydiving... to concur that feeling and be in control of it.

The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Horror Chic wrote:
He likes to feel in control, just like Meridian said. He doesn't like the blood itself. He thinks it's messy, sticky, and confusing.

He does his job of looking at the blood, investigating the blood spatter, because he wants to make it make sense and go away, to make that feeling of not being in control go away. At this point in the juncture, Dexter doesn't even really know why that is. No one does (unless you've read the book).

He isn't working in blood spatter because he loves blood... he's working there because for the same reason someone who's afraid of heights goes skydiving... to concur that feeling and be in control of it.

What about the collection of Blood?
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Horror Chic wrote:

What about the collection of Blood?

It's part of the obsession with control like the job - the people he kills are cleaned up, wrapped in garbage bags, and tossed overboard and a single drop of blood is all that remains.... filed away by Dexter on a neat little slide (and he never gets the blood on his hands, but takes it with a scalpel and a pipette). He's in charge, he's in control. He's made it all neat and tidy.

It's an obsessive/compulsive thing. And ask anyone with OCD and they'll tell you they do a LOT of things because they feel they have to, because it quiets something inside them, a feeling of anxiety and unease they can't really fathom... but they don't necessarily like what they're doing.