FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Dexter
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Well, I've just heard some pretty distressing news. It seems that Showtime has their own ideas for the show -- they apparently want it to skew much more toward comedy. To that end, they've fired showrunner Jim Manos, former SHIELD and SOPRANOS writer who wrote the first batch of DEXTER'S episodes and instilled the show with the black sensibility it has in the early going. This is not promising at all. Changing both the staff and tone of the show could likely cripple it.

Which is sad because I enjoyed the first episode. I'm horrified to see how the rest are handled.

Damn.

And damn Jennifer Carpenter is very pretty but she has a big head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Well, I've just heard some pretty distressing news. It seems that Showtime has their own ideas for the show -- they apparently want it to skew much more toward comedy. To that end, they've fired showrunner Jim Manos, former SHIELD and SOPRANOS writer who wrote the first batch of DEXTER'S episodes and instilled the show with the black sensibility it has in the early going. This is not promising at all. Changing both the staff and tone of the show could likely cripple it.

Which is sad because I enjoyed the first episode. I'm horrified to see how the rest are handled.

Damn.

And damn Jennifer Carpenter is very pretty but she has a big head.

The first three are all quite good -- I'm not sure how far they were into the series when the change occurred, but I'll bet it's quite noticeable when it happens.

Word on Jennifer Carpenter. She's a lanky, gangly girl, but there's something arresting about her. Her performance here is oddly interesting; she has a dorky charm. I have a feeling this is much closer to her true personality that anything we saw in EMILY ROSE.
rotnpumpkin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

I watched the first episode and loved it so much I danced all the way downstairs to tell my husband I'd found my new addiction. I do hope things don't go to pot....

his:
pumpkinrot.com
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
The first three are all quite good -- I'm not sure how far they were into the series when the change occurred, but I'll bet it's quite noticeable when it happens.

Damn, MM. Don't say that.

Sad

Messiahman wrote:
Word on Jennifer Carpenter. She's a lanky, gangly girl, but there's something arresting about her. Her performance here is oddly interesting; she has a dorky charm. I have a feeling this is much closer to her true personality that anything we saw in EMILY ROSE.

I think that too.

She has this weird neurotic tick about her that makes her oddly memorable and charming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Finally watched the first episode. Already it's my favorite show of the new season -- so far anyway. I hate to think of the downward turn it's going to take if they try to make it "funny."

I can't imagine anyone else doing as great a job as Hall in the lead. He has a really interesting evil/innocent dichotomy that I just love. The whole thing with his dad getting him started down his "path" is just beautiful. Glad to see Remar getting some serious work again. Benz and Carpenter are both great too -- perfectly quirky for their roles. And I can't believe I didn't recognize "Gloria" from Oz. I knew I knew the actress but had to check the IMDB. Best casting of a show in years!

Anyone without Showtime is seriously missing out between this and Weeds (and, yes, MOH too I suppose).
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Anyone without Showtime is seriously missing out between this and Weeds (and, yes, MOH too I suppose).

We finally agree on something!

I love Weeds!

It's been hilarious lately.
reno
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 am  Reply with quote

just watched the first three episodes . a friend of mine recommended it and before i had never heard of it but wow. this is definitly the best new show of the season and one of the only tv shows i will listen to. really looking forward, and now i read that they may be going to change the style?? whats that? is this serious? why would they want to do this? for rating? i dont understand!?!
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I'll download it soon.

I keep thinking this is some new version of Dexter's Laboratory.
CasualAnalSexGuy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Dexter in my mind has to be one of the best shows this season, Michael Hall (Gay undertaker from Six Feet Under) is a fantastic actor and as quirky and sadistic his role is, he pulls it off superbly.
Also wonderful to see Jennifer Carpenter (from the Exorcism of Emily Rose) back in the spotlight on a tv show that is obviously going from strength to strength. After seeing her performances on Emily Rose i just knew she had a bright future ahead.
Lots of gore, and fantastic acting, definately my pick for show of the year, perhaps running alongside Heroes for entertainment, but Dexter will always be the show that was remembered for being styley, likeable and morbid to the hilt, not holding back on the gore!
Long may it last!

By the way has anyone here read the novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay which inspired the tv series. Id love to know what they think in terms of the translation from book to a major tv series, does it work, does Dexter the tv series give justice to its original inspiration?
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

CasualAnalSexGuy wrote:
Dexter in my mind has to be one of the best shows this season, Michael Hall (Gay undertaker from Six Feet Under) is a fantastic actor and as quirky and sadistic his role is, he pulls it off superbly.
Also wonderful to see Jennifer Carpenter (from the Exorcism of Emily Rose) back in the spotlight on a tv show that is obviously going from strength to strength. After seeing her performances on Emily Rose i just knew she had a bright future ahead.

Couldn't agree more! And -- good news! -- it's coming back for Season 2.

So far the staff shuffles haven't resulted in any noticeable changes in tone. Hopefully that will continue.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet, this is one of the few shows I actually go out of my way to watch.
GORY_CREEPSHOW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:00 am  Reply with quote

Am glad for the net , I have watched all the 6 eps and I didn't dl them either. Dexter is turning out to be a real good show. Am not to knowing about actor Michael Hall, yet I find that he plays the charcater well. I picked up the book on tape and haven't listened to it yet ,but once I have time I will start to. Am glad it will be back for a season 2.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:39 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This show is amazing.
lethaldread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Location: I only know words like good and ball............ and rape.

"Who the fuck are you?", that line made me smile from ear to ear.
3.???
4.Profit!
5. Mayonnaise
6. RingoJ talking about "some toon pr0n"
7. Sports talk

"They Fucked with the wrong Mexican."
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote

My favorite lines:

"Is That It?"

and

"I wish he could just go away and disappear forever."
"That could happen. That could happen easily."